PDA

View Full Version : Front springs

Vince Gortner
03-26-2003, 09:04 PM
Hey. Anybody replace their front springs yet? I've picked up the phone a couple times to order some, but I just don't know how bad the installation will be. Bad?

Do I have to take so much stuff apart that I'll need a re-alignment when I'm all done?

looking97233
03-26-2003, 09:12 PM
Yep. Changing the ride height will need an aliginment. Also the people you get them from should have some allignment specs for you. Changing the suspension geomentry by lowering will change the opitium allignment specs.

ChuckB
03-27-2003, 03:10 PM
i'd been calling Scott Hyland about thier front springs for months. the answer was always 2 more weeks. i finally gave up and after talking to David at Kenny Brown and removed 1/2 turn. the end result put the front end 3/4" down and i have had no clearance problems with stock rubber.

honestly - no difference in handling that i can tell. Also no noticable difference in ride ( should have been talking 1/2 does effect the compliance of the spring) just a little lower and i think better looking. But it's a personal preference.

Words of wisdom - when removing the front springs use serious caution and a good set of spring compressors. the springs have a significant amount of kinetic energy and have the potential of doing serious damage if they get loose from the compresor. secondly DO NOT cut the spring with a torch! use only saws-all or die grinder with cutting wheel. the heat from the torch will change the temper having significant effect on spring rate.

it will take better part of a Saturday to do this if you have the appropriate mechanic and suspension tools - most motor heads do. Also plan on having it aligned as any ride height change effects the geometries / alignment.

i wish i'd have seen some of the aftermarket brakes before doing the springs - it would have been the perfect time to do the Brakes, roll bars and springs. Oh well i'll do these another Saturday.

Vince Gortner
03-27-2003, 08:22 PM
Hmmm. Sounds like a pain.

I was about to call SHM to order a set of springs, but it sounds like you are saying they are vaporware! There's a picture of them on the website - they have to be real don't they???

Ok, so if those aren't even avail yet I will wait and see what Dennis does with his cars. Cutting coils would be kinda cheap (free) though.

Thanks. I will now change my signature to reflect my state of confusion.

SergntMac
03-29-2003, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by Vince Gortner
Hmmm. Sounds like a pain.

I was about to call SHM to order a set of springs, but it sounds like you are saying they are vaporware! There's a picture of them on the website - they have to be real don't they???

Ok, so if those aren't even avail yet I will wait and see what Dennis does with his cars. Cutting coils would be kinda cheap (free) though.

Thanks. I will now change my signature to reflect my state of confusion.

Vince, why not give Kenny Brown a call too? His suspension mods for the MM seem right on the money, I'd bet a mail order kit is available.

ChuckB
03-31-2003, 11:19 AM
Mac & Vince,

The G2 i got from David at KB was they were removing 3/4 to 1 full turn. No sway bar change but did get the upgraded brakes.

I'd be careful of taking more than 1/2 to 3/4 turn if you will still use the front stock rubber.

All in all yes it is a bit of hassle to cut the springs - but it does give the car a lowers and more aggesive stance. No it does not turn the 4200lb MM into something that likes twisty turnies.

If you like working on cars and have the tools it will only cost a couple of soda's or beers. Kinda like automotive theropy.

Vince Gortner
03-31-2003, 12:11 PM
Great. Thanks for the input.

Ya know, an afternoon of quality time with power tools sounds pretty good to me. I'm going to mess with the rear air suspension settings a bit and then I'll probably take 3/4's of a turn off the fronts.

If it doesn't work out I can always buy new springs. They can't cost that much.

Vince Gortner
03-31-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by ChuckB
The G2 i got from David at KB

Ok, I've been staring at this for a while and I give up. Is G2 a cool internet shorthand phrase? Or a perf package from KB?

I was just watching "Blue Streak" with Martin Lawrence a few days ago, and thanks to this board I now know what a P71 is, so I'm making some headway here and there.

martyo
03-31-2003, 12:34 PM
What Vince said. Please give us the 411 on G2....

ChuckB
03-31-2003, 12:56 PM
sorry guys - what 12 years in the Marines will do for / to you..

G2 = confirmed intelligence (information).

Vince Gortner
03-31-2003, 01:16 PM
Roger that Chuck.

I'll write that down someplace for use on my jarhead associates. They taught me how to use the phrase "high speed, low drag" in daily conversation and now I wear that out.

RCSignals
03-31-2003, 04:57 PM
The Marauder uses Police Interceptor front springs, and supposedly they are already shortened.
I'd be careful about removing more.

Warpath
04-01-2003, 12:00 PM
Marauder front springs are unique to Marauder because of the lowered ride height. Police cars don't sit that low.

Also, just for info, by cutting front springs you will put a preload in the front roll bar bushings and shorten their life. They are "stuck" to the bar and are not made to slip. The spring rate will increase too if I remember my equations correctly.

RCSignals
04-01-2003, 02:13 PM
Marauder front springs are unique to Marauder because of the lowered ride height. Police cars don't sit that low.

Yes, as I said Police Interceptor springs shortened.
BTW, an '03 Police Interceptor sits almost exactly the same height in front.

mensrea
04-03-2003, 10:03 AM
Buy some bushings from Kenny and you're good to go...