PDA

View Full Version : Mufflers Again, Sorry

99-P71
10-24-2005, 08:48 AM
I need some feed back on what mufflers to put on my 99 P-71. I plan on pickup up the tailpipes from Innovative. I plan on using the delete tips, since that is what I currently have. Flowmasters? Super 40s?? I am looking for the "mustang GT" sound. My P71 sounds great under hard acceleration, but otherwise is too quiet.

DEFYANT
10-24-2005, 09:10 AM
If you want loud while idling / cruising, Magnaflows w/ delete tips will give that to you.

Breadfan
10-24-2005, 09:27 AM
If you're looking for "Mustang" sound, one of the most popular mufflers for Mustangs is the Flowmaster Super 40. Flowmaster and Mustang just about go hand in hand these days, the majority of people go for Flowmasters when upgrading their Mustang exhaust. Some say they're over used, but I still love the sound personally. (Though I've heard awesome stuff from Magnaflow, Bassani, etc.) The Super 40's are the louder of the Flowmasters...basically flowmasters go...

40 series 2 chamber (originals) - loudest
Super 40's (newer version) - about as loud, but perform better
Delta Flow 40's - quieter than Super 40's, apparently scavenge better

Then there's the 3 chambers...

30 series, original 3 chambers - quieter
50 series, delta flow 3 chambers - quietest

They have more types but those are the common ones.

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/mufflers.html

There are other options though (Magnaflow, Spintech, FRPP Dual modes, etc), you can get some good sounds out of the 32v modular motors. :)

Oh and you may have trouble finding the original style 2 chambers, best I can usually find is the Super 40's, and most of the American Thunder kits come with Delta Flow 40's which are a tad quieter.

hdwrench
10-24-2005, 04:29 PM
I have the delete tips and flowmaster 40's on mine. I like that setup... I didnt really appreciate it until i was cruising around the other night with the stereo off and windows down (finally cool enough)... sounds SWEEEET but then i may be partial :D

texasvic
10-24-2005, 04:39 PM
Flowmaster 50 Series Delta Flow mufflers and unresonated Marauder tips.

Linky... (http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/showmedia.php?id=211744)

99-P71
10-25-2005, 12:26 PM
If you want loud while idling / cruising, Magnaflows w/ delete tips will give that to you.
While I do want great sound, I do have a baby seat in the back. You know, the best of both worlds. I want that aggressive sound but still would like it tolerable for with the windows up.

I know, I sound like a :cry:

warren
10-25-2005, 12:56 PM
99-P71,

Consider the Ford Dual Mode Mufflers.
There are lots of threads on them just use search function.
They are reasonable thru 3700rpm or so them the little door
opens inside and they are straight thru.
I have a car seat in back and my GD loves the sound.
Dennis Reinhart has them.

Warren

mpearce
10-25-2005, 01:26 PM
I am looking for the "mustang GT" sound.
I have Flowmaster 40 originals...or whatever they like to call them. I also have the Megs resonator delete tips. That is all I have done to my exhaust. I love the way it sounds. It's aggressive, yes, but sometimes I wish it were louder. The drone comes in at 40, and 60, and 80mph depending on what gear you're in. But slight adjustment of the throttle makes it go away. Cruising on the highway is fine.

-Mat

67435animal
10-26-2005, 02:58 AM
I need some feed back on what mufflers to put on my 99 P-71. I plan on pickup up the tailpipes from Innovative. I plan on using the delete tips, since that is what I currently have. Flowmasters? Super 40s?? I am looking for the "mustang GT" sound. My P71 sounds great under hard acceleration, but otherwise is too quiet.

I have a pair of Flowmaster 40s that were on my MM (2.5" in/out) that I am selling if you are interested. PM me if you are. Where are you located?

Bob

Amsoil_Dealer
10-26-2005, 07:14 AM
99-P71,

Consider the Ford Dual Mode Mufflers.
There are lots of threads on them just use search function.
They are reasonable thru 3700rpm or so them the little door
opens inside and they are straight thru.
I have a car seat in back and my GD loves the sound.
Dennis Reinhart has them.

Warren

I have the Dual Mode Mufflers (sourced through Dennis) on my 02 CV LX Sport. I simply had them welded in with the stock 2" H pipe and stock, resonated, 2" tail pipes. While it sounds better than stock, this combinaton does not work well. This configuration does not flow well enough to open the flapper door. At least not all the way. :shake: In this configuration,this car is not as loud as a factory Mustang GT. :bigcry:

Jake mentioned to me yesterday that if I were to have some custom 2 1/2 tail pipes fabbed up that the extra downstream flow capability and expansion of the exhaust will likely give the desired result of a quiet car at low speeds with a muffled roar at WOT. This sounds like it is certainly worth a try.

Don

TechHeavy
10-26-2005, 07:22 AM
I have Flowmaster 40 originals...or whatever they like to call them. I also have the Megs resonator delete tips. That is all I have done to my exhaust. I love the way it sounds. It's aggressive, yes, but sometimes I wish it were louder. The drone comes in at 40, and 60, and 80mph depending on what gear you're in. But slight adjustment of the throttle makes it go away. Cruising on the highway is fine.

-Mat
I agree with Matt. I just installed the Flowmaster 40 series on mine with the resonator delete tips a couple weeks ago, and I LOVE the sound. Very much like modded mustangs IMO.
I have 2 young daughters who I drive around daily. No problem there... the exhaust is not too loud with windows up. I love it.

Dennis Reinhart
10-26-2005, 08:36 AM
We had a customer come in yesterday form Ga and he had a set of the Ford Dual mode mufllers on there that is first I have actualy had a chance to hear them on a car and they sounded great throatie not to loud.

metroplex
10-26-2005, 08:48 AM
Mustang GT sound? That's easy! :D Get a Mustang GT! ;) :lol:

Sorry, J/K.

Magnaflows are great. They're not too loud when idling but they're aggressive when you get on the throttle.

Blackened300a
10-26-2005, 02:11 PM
I went a different Route then You Guys, I went with Cherry Bomb Vortex Mufflers. I have the Stock Resonated tips at the moment and it gives a very deep throaty sound when cruising with No Annoying Drone and give a 60's Muscle Car authoritive roar at Full throttle. My Res-Delete Tips are in the Mail as I post this and I shall post a Comparison Video of the Before and After.

You Be the Judge!