PDA

View Full Version : Dropped the pan

Bradley G
10-25-2005, 05:30 PM
Got the dealer to power flush the trans at 15K and again at 28K.
Now at almost 35K I decieded to take a peek inside the Pan.
I expected the fluid to be cherry red(same as the dip stick), thank god it was.
The only Metal was in the form of "Hair" around the magnet.
Maybe a couple thimbles full, tops.
Since I have raced it well over 100 times, I was happy to see such a minor accumulation of metal.

David Morton
10-25-2005, 07:29 PM
Typically the magnet will look a little fuzzy, as long as the stuff is fine grained there's no problem.

I used to bust open the filter cannister to see what was inside as the magnet is only going to hold the ferrous metal. Small chunks of clutch material are made normally in the first 500 miles but some bearing race materials and pump vane seal supports were made of plastic and that's what I looked for. Any pieces of plastic inside the filter is a bad thing.

CRUZTAKER
10-25-2005, 07:54 PM
Good deal Brad

...remember all the work we did to Vicster...?
The bucking at 37-65 mph has gotten worse and turned out to be a tranny issue. My bets in t/c.
Old Vicster gets opened up tomorrow. :(

Bradley G
10-26-2005, 03:58 AM
Yeah Barry, All the codes pointed to EGR and emission related components.
Was it throwing transmission related codes this time?
Good luck on the fix.
Remember, if it is too expensive to fix, time to let her go!

Good deal Brad

The bucking at 37-65 mph has gotten worse and turned out to be a tranny issue. My bets in t/c.
Old Vicster gets opened up tomorrow. :(

David Morton
10-26-2005, 09:13 AM
Good deal Brad

Old Vicster gets opened up tomorrow. :(Does the bucking occur when TCC is on and under light throttle?

If so have you checked to make sure you don't have a misfire? Best way to diagnose is to load up engine slighly when stopped, just off idle 100-200 rpms. Then use a test light to ground out wires at the coil, the wire you ground out that doesn't affect idle speed is the bad wire/plug.

Bad wire(s); look for the white residue where wires touch or come close to something. Also dark inside the sockets either end.

Bad plug(s); look oily and dark, a good one has a light tan ash on it.

One more thing can cause this and that's a small vacuum leak. Bad hoses are easy enough to find and replace but one thing overlooked on older cars is a bad vacuum brake booster. Disconnect and plug the hose to it, then drive it and try to induce the bucking.

"Bucking" is very rare in an automatic transmission and can only be caused by the springs on the convertor clutch disc, either broken or fatigued. Again, very rare. The 99% cause for bucking as you describe is an engine misfire.

Bradley G
10-27-2005, 08:02 PM
I get that bucking in my '97 E-150 4.6 L in overdrive under light throttle(slight)
And when it is cold it does not want to go, till it warms up.
Does the bucking occur when TCC is on and under light throttle?

If so have you checked to make sure you don't have a misfire? Best way to diagnose is to load up engine slighly when stopped, just off idle 100-200 rpms. Then use a test light to ground out wires at the coil, the wire you ground out that doesn't affect idle speed is the bad wire/plug.

Bad wire(s); look for the white residue where wires touch or come close to something. Also dark inside the sockets either end.

Bad plug(s); look oily and dark, a good one has a light tan ash on it.

One more thing can cause this and that's a small vacuum leak. Bad hoses are easy enough to find and replace but one thing overlooked on older cars is a bad vacuum brake booster. Disconnect and plug the hose to it, then drive it and try to induce the bucking.

"Bucking" is very rare in an automatic transmission and can only be caused by the springs on the convertor clutch disc, either broken or fatigued. Again, very rare. The 99% cause for bucking as you describe is an engine misfire.

Rider90
10-27-2005, 10:14 PM
I had bucking in my 99 CV, was just a bad coil.

CRUZTAKER
10-28-2005, 09:10 AM
I hate to hijack your thread Bradley...but it sounds as if you're ok at this point, and a couple people have replied to my issue.

Therefore, I feel obligated to answer them.;)

The Vic is still at the tranny shop. They DID service the tranny. IE, fluid flush, including the torque converter, and the filter. It was indeed in bad shape.

But they still cannot narrow down the bucking. I have passed on everyones advice to the repairman.

We did David's tests to no avail.

Next we'll check the plug wires and coil I assume.

I'll update....

David Morton
10-28-2005, 09:39 AM
Yup, I neglected to mention bad coils. Been a while since I did this stuff for a living.

The stuff I mentioned earlier was the preliminary stuff you did before you replaced the coil. Also generally since OBDII, intermittent coil related primary circuits cause codes, cam sensor, crank sensor. So if no codes and secondary circuits OK and vacuum leaks ruled out, replace the coil indicated in the ground-out test I first described.

I still have the old test light with a big safety pin welded to it so I don't have to pierce boots. Goes right up inside the boot at the coil.

CRUZTAKER
10-28-2005, 10:18 AM
The tranny guy just called.

He is basically at a loss. They have no clue what is causing the problem. They are unable to test the coils or wires.

I'll just buy a coil, swap it, and see if it fixes the problem.

This sucks.:(

Bradley G
10-31-2005, 05:23 AM
Barry,

I hope you are able to get this squared away, soon!
As far as Hi-Jack,... Fergetaboutit! :help: Collective???

CRUZTAKER
10-31-2005, 09:19 AM
coils:

The coil on the drivers side was a mess. Cracked open, bulging guts and rusty underneath. The passenger side was similar but no where near as bad.

I replaced both.

The car runs different like night and day. No more bucking!

BUT.:mad:

After a little driving around, I found that I can get the car to buck again.
This time, if I go around a corner under speed, and accelerate into and out of a turn, it bucks like it did before.

I haven't replaced the wires yet, but the bucking only into turns really baffles me now. :dunno:

CRUZTAKER
10-31-2005, 02:52 PM
Wires fixed the remainer of the problem entirely.

For now.:rolleyes:

Bradley G
11-02-2005, 08:13 PM
cool beans!