PDA

View Full Version : Driving for Thrills and Skills

DeepSea117
10-28-2005, 02:46 PM
What do yall think?

Warren from the East Bay Area had told me about a Driving course taught by the Contra Costa Sheriff's Department. After getting off the phone with the representative, Denise, I learned there are group sessions available where a bunch of us can reserve and lower the regular price of $199.

This course uses the Sheriff's Department vehicles (Crown Vics and such)...the first couple of hours is classroom stuff, and the rest is seat/course time! Seems like it would be good for any Marauder owners out there to get a feel of a car similar to ours at the limits, under instruction, and in a safe environment! Threshold Braking and Skid Control Recovery are among the other things taught, and according to Denise, there is some driving through all-terrain, from when her step-son took the course.

Here's the link: Driving For Thrills and Skills (http://www.cocosheriff.org/letc/in_service_courses/driving_thrills_skills.htm)

Any of your Norcal or other West Coast folks think this would be a good place to do a meet? The next available date is the 19th of November, but only 4 spots remain. The course lasts all day from 8am to 5pm, rain or shine. From there, it would be easy to cruise down to the Sonic's in Tracy, with the traditional drive-up stalls they have. One girl working there already thought my car was cool, how bout more than just one Marauder? :D

From the Sheriff's Office, this would be about a 50 minute drive going south. Here are Mapquest directions from Contra Costa Sheriff's to Sonic (http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&rmm=1&un=m&cl=EN&ct=NA&rsres=1&1a=45+john+glenn+drive&1c=concord&1s=ca&1z=94520&2a=3080+naglee+road&2c=tracy&2s=ca&2z=95304). Both of these places are accessible by major highways, with Tracy being very near Stockton, which is on the I-5. I'm thinking of checking out how the course runs, and then passing the word on, unless some people wanna take a chance. ;)

69mach1
10-28-2005, 08:07 PM
Sounds like a good time :D but I'm going to have to pass for now :(

No time to spare for a while.

Enjoy and let us know how it is.

Jon aka 69mach1 :burnout:

What do yall think?

Warren from the East Bay Area had told me about a Driving course taught by the Contra Costa Sheriff's Department. After getting off the phone with the representative, Denise, I learned there are group sessions available where a bunch of us can reserve and lower the regular price of $199.

This course uses the Sheriff's Department vehicles (Crown Vics and such)...the first couple of hours is classroom stuff, and the rest is seat/course time! Seems like it would be good for any Marauder owners out there to get a feel of a car similar to ours at the limits, under instruction, and in a safe environment! Threshold Braking and Skid Control Recovery are among the other things taught, and according to Denise, there is some driving through all-terrain, from when her step-son took the course.

Here's the link: Driving For Thrills and Skills (http://www.cocosheriff.org/letc/in_service_courses/driving_thrills_skills.htm)

Any of your Norcal or other West Coast folks think this would be a good place to do a meet? The next available date is the 19th of November, but only 4 spots remain. The course lasts all day from 8am to 5pm, rain or shine. From there, it would be easy to cruise down to the Sonic's in Tracy, with the traditional drive-up stalls they have. One girl working there already thought my car was cool, how bout more than just one Marauder? :D

From the Sheriff's Office, this would be about a 50 minute drive going south. Here are Mapquest directions from Contra Costa Sheriff's to Sonic (http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&rmm=1&un=m&cl=EN&ct=NA&rsres=1&1a=45+john+glenn+drive&1c=concord&1s=ca&1z=94520&2a=3080+naglee+road&2c=tracy&2s=ca&2z=95304). Both of these places are accessible by major highways, with Tracy being very near Stockton, which is on the I-5. I'm thinking of checking out how the course runs, and then passing the word on, unless some people wanna take a chance. ;)

kartherma
10-30-2005, 03:28 PM
Looks like a great thing to me. If I can get the time off and it doesnt interfere with me going back to Zona to see the kids, I think I might be game.

be good,
Curt

Hotrauder
10-30-2005, 04:15 PM
I wonder if there is anything like this here in Florida. Sounds like a great time. Anyone know about this type of program located anywhere else? Dennis:)

FordNut
10-30-2005, 04:31 PM
I'd love to do something like that!

DeepSea117
11-01-2005, 07:39 PM
I'll see if they got the idea for this course from another department around the country. If all goes well, they'll most likely have one next month. It doesn't snow around here, so rain or shine they have it. Time to get the old microphone helmet ready! :D

Hopefully they'll let me take pics too.

Oh yeah, forgot to post...I think all the spots for November 19th are booked-up. They'll probably have December's schedule come that day, and I'll post it up in case anyone would like to attend.

ParkRanger
11-02-2005, 10:48 AM
What do yall think?

I completed this course as part of police academy training and it was a great experience! Just the skid control training is worth it :D - they also show the best methods for cornering, braking and last second lane changing. Highly recommend it. Have fun!

PR :burnout:

DeepSea117
11-22-2005, 08:13 PM
Okay I went through the course. The actual classroom time was about half an hour, and off to the secluded area of the runway we went.

The breakdown of the class was 15 people. 3 of us it turns out were not sent by our parents (apparently this course is good for beginners.) One guy was taking this as a part of academy training, another guy was in town from SoCal, and was thinking of enrolling his daughter in the course. And the only guy who wanted to go because his car was a Marauder--me.

The first half of the day (8:30 - 12:15 or so) started with several small courses designed to teach the student how to manuver the car through tight areas, what they called "front-end swing" (when going backwards) and "rear cheating". Basically the more driving school oriented version of the course. It was actually very helpful, as even backing up into cones with my Marauder didn't sound too appealing. Also useful if you haven't driven a car this big too much. The two instructors showed how to use the least amount of space when turning in small areas, as well as parallel parking. I excelled in parallel parking, as I live in San Francisco, where mortal combat can ensue over a choice parking spot.

After about 2 hours going over the 4 different courses (pulling into a tee and out, parallel parking, manuvering back and forth through tight cones, and a slow slalom), the instructors directed us to a different course. This course involves evasive driving and choosing a lane called out by the instructor at the last second. Each student got 4 tries to not hit cones during an emergency lane change, from 30mph, to 35, then 40. If you were good, you got to try at 45 mph. ;) That part was probably where a lot of of the students overestimated their skill; there were so many flying cones that day!

The better Crown Vic coming down at 40mph before an emergency lane change
http://www.armory.com/%7Esaiyajin/DTAS01crop.jpg

The beat-up Crown Vic making a change left at 35mph
http://www.armory.com/%7Esaiyajin/DTAS02crop.jpg

There were three different Crown Vics on the course, in varying degrees of condition. The fast one was really smooth, but the beat-up one helped me learn the handling at the limit more easily, as the second part of the day (1:30 pm - 4:30 pm) consisted of driving around the obstacle course, first with the instructor, then solo, in an effort to better yourself at the limit. There was a place to do a decreasing radius turn (one of my favorites), a high-speed spot to a threshold braking area, couple of medium swoopers, a tight radius turn, emergency lane changes, slaloms, plus a last turn where you can slide the car before the end. I was gettin so much into it that I didn't realize till a shower later on in the evening revealed several bruises on the left side of my knee from whipping the car so hard! It was a tiring, but fulfilling day, and we got to see the instructors tear through with the course a few times. Good drivers!

The instructors were very knowledgeable, but I think the ladies taking the class were scared to ride with the primary instructor, who had been doing this for 4 years if I'm not mistaken. The second instructor was very relaxed, and was a detective with the county, and for some reason, I ended up with the second one whenever I drove. Very patient, and a very good driver of the Crown Vic. The classroom time explained the nature of the manuvering for tight spots--I think they left out high-speed turns for fear of some student getting in over his head. But when it came to speeding and turns, the instructors allowed us to push the car, and the second instructor actually said "It's good you're hitting the cones, otherwise you wouldn't be hittimg your limits and learning anything." I agree completely!

I took a video but unfortunately can't attach *.3gp files to a post. This video was of a student spinning out at 30mph, as well as going off track for a bit, and taking out a family of cones. Nothing special, if anyone wants it, I can e-mail it (130 kb).

If this course is something you've never done before, if you've never driven a big car at the limits, or you want to brush up your handling and manuvering for an urban environment, take this course. The instructors are very open, and funny, which keeps it light. If anyone has any questions about this course, let me know! Oh yeah...it was HOT out there, and be prepared for some walking, to shag cones.

Decreasing Radius Turn during the obstacle course
http://www.armory.com/%7Esaiyajin/DTAS03.jpg

Second instructor clearing some student in the mid-performance Crown Vic
http://www.armory.com/%7Esaiyajin/DTAS04.jpg

All pics taken from a Sony Ericsson S710A, not bad huh!