PDA

View Full Version : rear speakers now covered by fabric

darebren
03-28-2003, 09:43 PM
reading some old posts on changing speakers, on my car the rear speakers are covered with fabric across the top of the deck lid. does that come up or do you attack them from the undrside?

Murader03
03-29-2003, 01:54 AM
Depends on what you want to do. You can change out the two rear speakers by popping off the front covers, gently, and then you can access the mounting screws. The speakers can be removed through the open area. I think the sub must be reached through the trunk.

martyo
03-29-2003, 05:37 AM
Darebren: Do you mean that there are no grills for the two rear speakers (ignoring the subwoofer for the moment)?

darebren
03-29-2003, 05:41 AM
exactly, grills are gone now, just carpet covered deck. you can tell the speakers are under there as there are raised rectangular boxes under the molded carpeted deck. I suppose the carpet deck just comes off, but with my luck, I'd break it

martyo
03-29-2003, 05:45 AM
Looks like they Chane the set up. So far, everyone i have seen or chatted about had the grills. My Ford Taurus POS is set up as you describe.....

What is the production date of your car?

You might want to call Crutchfield and see if there files show a change in the install process for the rear speaker swap

Effster
03-29-2003, 08:45 AM
all 300b's have no grills.you will have to remove the rear seats,,and the 3 seatbelt bolts to get the rear back out.once in there,,two plastic push pins gets the rear package tray up.you can fold it in the middle to raise it,,then work with a stubby phillips to replace the speakers.......more decontenting on fords part

martyo
03-29-2003, 09:01 AM
Slowwww down Eff! My 300B has the grills. Remember the cars are like snowflakes, no two alike!

P.S. Eff: Next weekend when we are together in CT, I want you to show me how to pull my rear seats out if you don't mind. i asked sometime earlier and I did not understand the explanation.

darebren
03-29-2003, 09:08 AM
where do i find the code 300b or whatever it might be?

RF Overlord
03-29-2003, 09:27 AM
This is lifted directly from Mercury's web site:

Mercury reserves the right to change product specifications at any time without incurring obligations.

Here's the comic-relief part:
Your Mercury dealer is your best source for up-to-date information.

A-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA...:lol: :lol: :lol: :rolleyes:

jgc61sr2002
03-29-2003, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by darebren
where do i find the code 300b or whatever it might be? It's on the window sticker and all 300B's have Traction Control which is the major difference between A & B models. John

RCSignals
03-29-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by martyo
Slowwww down Eff! My 300B has the grills. Remember the cars are like snowflakes, no two alike!

P.S. Eff: Next weekend when we are together in CT, I want you to show me how to pull my rear seats out if you don't mind. i asked sometime earlier and I did not understand the explanation.

My 300B has the grilles as well

martyo, to remove the rear seat, you have to push in gently on the bottom cushion. (the front towards the back) then lift it out. After that you'll see where the seat back is held in place by the seatbelt bolts. Remove them and lift upwards on the seat back.

TAF
03-29-2003, 06:03 PM
I don't know about you guys...but I think some of the "de-contenting" is a shame. It would be different if other useful "things" were being added at the same time.