PDA

View Full Version : ...Problem with cats?

Petrograde
11-05-2005, 06:08 AM
Catalytic Converters that is,... not felines.

Yesterday morning when I got to work, I stepped out of the car and heard the cats 'popping' like hell. It sounded like popcorn popping only louder! It lasted about 2 minutes then dwindled off.

I've heard the sounds of heat expansion before, usually a couple of pops then it's done. Never like this, I looked under the half expecting to see flames shooting out of the cats! WTF?

It was in the lower 60's at the time and I don't have a very long drive to work, I wasn't flogging her on the highway...

Does this sound like my cats are going bad?

Thanks guys.

Marauderjack
11-05-2005, 06:55 AM
Was it on the passenger's side?? If so it is condensate from the A/C frying on the exhaust!! :rolleyes:

Mine has done it from day one and it took me awhile to figure it out!! :confused:

You can duplicate it by running water from a hose down the right side of the windshield right after a drive. :argue:

I think you can make some sort of deflector and eliminate it if you wish?? :beer:

Marauderjack :D

Agent M79
11-05-2005, 07:02 AM
Condensation: Psssshhh Poppshhh PSSSsssshhhsshhhhshhpopsssshhh Psshhh

Heat: PaTing TING tick TING TTTING

I get lots of the first one and just a few of the second one.

JohnE
11-08-2005, 11:53 AM
I have a Reinhart exhaust system on my car. Recently I lost my cats. The passenger side lost its guts several months prior to the driver side rattling and plugging up. By the time I bought some new ones and cut the old ones off, I had empty chambers. The cats were tiny compared to what I replaced them with. The new ones I picked (Magnaflow 93506) are three times the size and 1/2" wider. Hopefully these hold up.

The front media inside the driver cat became loose and rattled. It sounded like I had transmission or torque convert metal-to-metal problems for several weeks. At one point it rotated and stopped flow through the rear media. (There was two honeycomb cores inside each converter.) And when the cat was mostly plugged, my car sounded like one mean 4-cylinder. Good thing for me that my Magnaflow mufflers didn't clog up. They simply have a perforated mandrel S inside them.

I must say that I much rather drive my car with cats than without.

John

ckadiddle
11-08-2005, 03:30 PM
My cats only pop and shoot fire out when I put them in the microwave for longer than 60 seconds.

Oh , wait...I see you were referring to the ones bolted under the car....

Sorry, I could resist no longer. Go ahead and hit me with a fish now.
:fishslap:

merc6
11-08-2005, 04:58 PM
My cats only pop and shoot fire out when I put them in the microwave for longer than 60 seconds.

Oh , wait...I see you were referring to the ones bolted under the car....

Sorry, I could resist no longer. Go ahead and hit me with a fish now.
:fishslap: got a 31 inch ASP. is that cool?

MENINBLK
11-08-2005, 05:19 PM
Catalytic Converters that is,... not felines.

Yesterday morning when I got to work, I stepped out of the car and heard the cats 'popping' like hell. It sounded like popcorn popping only louder! It lasted about 2 minutes then dwindled off.

I've heard the sounds of heat expansion before, usually a couple of pops then it's done. Never like this, I looked under the half expecting to see flames shooting out of the cats! WTF?

It was in the lower 60's at the time and I don't have a very long drive to work, I wasn't flogging her on the highway...

Does this sound like my cats are going bad?

Thanks guys.

My cats have done that since my Marauder was new.
No problems here...

ckadiddle
11-09-2005, 07:17 AM
got a 31 inch ASP. is that cool?
Yeah, but you might dent your nice baton on my skull...just warning ya. :D

metroplex
11-10-2005, 05:00 AM
I'm curious, do you still hear the rattling when it is cold?

Petrograde
11-10-2005, 02:58 PM
I'm curious, do you still hear the rattling when it is cold?

when the car is cold? or when the weather is cold?

I haven't heard it quite so loudly in the past few days,.. but the 'marbles in a coffee can' sound really weirded me out. I was thinking that maybe I blew the cats core out of the pipes. :depress:

TripleTransAm
11-10-2005, 03:01 PM

I don't think anyone asked this but... was the car running during this episode? I'm assuming not... in which case I would expect a loose brick in the cat to make noise only when being bombarded by exhaust pulses, which is not the case when the engine is off.