PDA

View Full Version : Wipers wiping by themselves!

Cordoba1
11-08-2005, 11:47 PM
Here's an odd one -- anybody else have this issue: I have an '03 'Rauder, and this morning on the way to work, the windsheild wipers started by themselves! They didn't go to full on mode, but they would make one pass, pause, then another, pause, then another as if turned on intermittent mode. -- But at odd intervals. I "exercised" the switch, hopeing maybe it was a dirty contact -- no luck. On the way home from work, it did the same thing. I drove it to the gym this evening, and the wipers worked normally. (That is to say, they didn't turn themselves on.)

Anybody else experience this?

Adam, Chicago.

Marauderman
11-09-2005, 05:32 AM
Here's an odd one -- anybody else have this issue: I have an '03 'Rauder, and this morning on the way to work, the windsheild wipers started by themselves! They didn't go to full on mode, but they would make one pass, pause, then another, pause, then another as if turned on intermittent mode. -- But at odd intervals. I "exercised" the switch, hopeing maybe it was a dirty contact -- no luck. On the way home from work, it did the same thing. I drove it to the gym this evening, and the wipers worked normally. (That is to say, they didn't turn themselves on.)

Adam, Chicago.
Did you happen to have your HEAD lights "on" during this period of abnormal wiper use? If so, I believe they are programmed to come on automatically --not the fogs, but the others....

CRUZTAKER
11-09-2005, 05:45 AM
Did you happen to have your HEAD lights "on" during this period of abnormal wiper use? If so, I believe they are programmed to come on automatically --not the fogs, but the others....

When Marauderman refers to 'they', he means the Headlights come on automatically if the wipers are used for more the 30 seconds or so.

However, because these two modes are tied in with each other, perhaps there is a relationship between the two causing your problem. :dunno:

I'm thinking it's an issue with the wiper switch and/or relay.

RoyLPita
11-09-2005, 05:49 AM
There is a TSB on this. If your MM is under base warranty or have a extended warranty), take it in.

ckadiddle
11-09-2005, 06:48 AM
I like to call that "freaky wiper syndrome". Had it repaired at Don Reid Ford under 3/36 warranty. I think they replaced the wiper motor assembly and a wiring harness that is associated with it. The service guy said that there was a newer version of the (wiper) wiring harness. No more freaky wipers in several weeks since repair.

twolow
11-09-2005, 06:48 AM
There is a TSB on this. If your MM is under base warranty or have a extended warranty), take it in.

And if its not under warranty just take the wiper arms off and grease the windshield with a bottle of rain x.

Bluerauder
11-09-2005, 08:03 AM
Here's an odd one -- anybody else have this issue: I have an '03 'Rauder, and this morning on the way to work, the windsheild wipers started by themselves!
Adam, Chicago.
Adam, I had the same thing happening back in June 2005. Mine would go on and pump the fluid reservoir dry. Here is the thread on that incident and the fix.
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18971&highlight=emptied

MENINBLK
11-09-2005, 09:26 AM

Adam, Chicago.

BigDogJim had the same exact problem and it took several trips to his dealer to fix it.

mercmatt
11-20-2005, 02:05 AM
i haD THUIS SAME PROBLEM. dealer replaced the swircth. sorry kinda drunk

captJ696
11-20-2005, 08:02 AM
As advised by many here, bring your Marauder in for replacement of your wiper motor. As of Wednesday past mine was replaced on my 300a. My wiper would come on at random speeds and my headlights would stay on.

Hope this helps........

LCSO34
11-20-2005, 08:59 PM
Mine has done this on occasion also. Had a brand new 01 CVPI and it did the same thing with about two hundred miles on the clock. They had to replace the wiper motor also. I kills me that this has been an issue going back that long.

Bigdogjim
11-20-2005, 09:40 PM
BigDogJim had the same exact problem and it took several trips to his dealer to fix it.

And the Service Manager keep telling ALL Grand Marquis do that?

I think I got the record of 3 times fixing the same issue.

Hell one time going to meet in New York nice sunny day and have to pull into a service plazza and pull the fuse.

I also had the lheadlight not turning off that was even more fun!

Bigdogjim
11-20-2005, 09:42 PM
And if its not under warranty just take the wiper arms off and grease the windshield with a bottle of rain x.

Nice fix unless your in a State that requires the wipers to be on with the headlight in the rain.:rolleyes:

GreekGod
11-22-2005, 06:14 PM
I called my LM dealer today account I had the intermittant wiper problem last summer (only) after about 30 minutes driving. He confirmed there is a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) #05-04-09, "Uncommanded wiper operation". He said it calls for a new wiper motor and pigtail/harness. It would be nice if someone would/could post a copy of said TSB. Strange to hear it has been a problem since at least 2001!