PDA

View Full Version : Trans Fluid Level

DEFYANT
11-10-2005, 06:22 PM
The dipstick says if your in the cross hatch area, do not add. I am in the area between the two holes, below the cross hatches.

How much fluid does it take to get it into the cross hatch area w/o going over?

It is NOT one qt.

Thanks

Blackened300a
11-10-2005, 06:46 PM
While we are on the subject of fluid, There is no hot/cold on the trans dipstick. I have noticed that when my car is cold and when I have my car up to operating temperature, the fluid is in the same crosshatch on the dipstick. Now when I beat on the car the fluid goes about a 1/2 inch above the full line. My question is, Do I have too much fluid in the Trans??
Thanks for any info

Smokie
11-10-2005, 06:54 PM
The only reading that counts is when the transmission has reached it's normal operating temp. not the engine. You are supposed to check the tranny fluid after you driven your car at least 5 miles, the engine reaches operating temp. way before the tranny does.

If you are above the top of the xxxxx you do have too much fluid.

Blackened300a
11-10-2005, 07:05 PM
ok now next question. I have the stock tranny pan with NO plug in it. How do I go about draining the fluid?
And being that the fliud goes above the xxxxx mark, What would the dipstick read if the trans is still cold?

Smokie
11-10-2005, 07:18 PM
My experience has been that a cold reading tends to read more or higher on the stick, a 1/2" above the high mark suggests about a quart too much, how can this be possible?

Did you add fluid, have you ever dropped the pan???

Blackened300a
11-10-2005, 07:30 PM
I had a shift kit installed about 2 months ago, with the install i had a fluid and filter change. The Trans shifts perfectly and I havent had any issues but I could drive to work 10 miles and check the fluid and it would be right on the full line, then If I beat on the car, it will go above the full line. It makes no sense to me Im just wondering If I do have a quart too much and I took it out, what would the dipstick read when its cold?

Marauderjack
11-11-2005, 04:37 AM
I was told by a trans rebuilder that you can run a quart over full and be OK....any more and it will adjust itself by blowing it out the dipstick tube??:rolleyes:

Too low a level can be much worse than too much......:argue:

Checking it is a BEAR....Stick is hard to reach and level is hard to read when HOT!!!:censor:

Marauderjack:rasta:

RF Overlord
11-11-2005, 05:19 AM
I could drive to work 10 miles and check the fluid and it would be right on the full line, then If I beat on the car, it will go above the full line.That's perfectly normal. Transmission fluid expands as it gets hot.

As Smokie said ^^^, the only reading that counts is when the transmission fluid is at normal operating temperature. When you drive the car 10 miles to work, that creates normal operating temp. When you beat on it, the trans fluid goes ABOVE normal operating temp and expands even more, driving the level further up the dipstick.

Marauderjack is right, too little fluid is far worse than too much, and from your description I believe you have exactly the right amount already, so don't touch it.

SergntMac
11-11-2005, 06:38 AM
When your tranny is over-filled, it will expel excess fluid out of a vent located topside. If nothing is coming out of this vent, you're not over full, no worries.

MENINBLK
11-11-2005, 08:57 AM
It takes at least 20 - 30 miles of driving to bring your automatic transmission
to operating temperature.
Driving it for 5 miles is not going to do it.
Check the fluid after driving when you are getting out of the Marauder.
Park it on level ground, leave the engine idling,
pull the stick, wipe, and re-dip.
If its anywhere near the hatched area you are good.
If it is just below the hatch, adding a couple ounces should bring it up to full.
Only add in small increments because whatever you add,
is going to expend when it warms up.

Blackened300a
11-11-2005, 01:42 PM
I always was told that the Transmission as with any hydrualic system, Too much fluid is worse then too little. It even says on the Dipstick (Do not OverFill) Even in the manual it says overfilling will cause serious damage to the transmission. The Vent on the transmission is to vent the Gases and Air that builds up just like the vent on the rear diff. I never heard of or seen fluid blow out a vent. Usually if the vent is clogged and the gases can't escape, you'll likely blow a gasket or a seal.
Also if you are blowing tranny fluid out the dipstick tube, you have to be a gallon overfull at least!

Marauderjack
11-11-2005, 02:13 PM
You can blow it out the vent and/or dipstick if it gets hot enough and it doesn't have to be over full either!! While pulling a large boat several years ago I found this out and afterwards never had a minutes problem with that transmission....240K miles in all!!:bows:

I'm not trying to sell anyone on anything...Just telling you that a very experienced Ford mechanic told me that a quart over full will not hurt anything period!!

I don't do it and don't recommend it just passing it along FWIW!!:argue:

Marauderjack:rolleyes:

Blackened300a
11-11-2005, 02:18 PM
I don't do it and don't recommend it just passing it along FWIW!!:argue:

Marauderjack:rolleyes:

Im not doubting you at all. Its just confusing when you hear different tidbits of info!
As long as its shifting perfect and no problems, Im not worried :beer:

jgc61sr2002
11-11-2005, 02:43 PM
I always was told that the Transmission as with any hydrualic system, Too much fluid is worse then too little. It even says on the Dipstick (Do not OverFill) Even in the manual it says overfilling will cause serious damage to the transmission. The Vent on the transmission is to vent the Gases and Air that builds up just like the vent on the rear diff. I never heard of or seen fluid blow out a vent. Usually if the vent is clogged and the gases can't escape, you'll likely blow a gasket or a seal.
Also if you are blowing tranny fluid out the dipstick tube, you have to be a gallon overfull at least!

That is my thouight also. IMO a little low is better than overfull.

Marauderjack
11-11-2005, 02:48 PM
Well my friend....

You made a statement about a "Gallon Over Full At Least" and I'll bet you can't even get a gallon in it if it is at the full mark!!:confused:

Just do what you wish and quit making statements like the one above just for the sake of "Stirring The Pot".

Truth is most modern cars are very forgiving by design and I don't think a quart either way will cause any problems except under full race conditions....at or near 100% duty cycle....and none of these cars would survive that anyway!!:shake:

"That's all I have to say about that"! (Forrest Gump)

Marauderjack:D

Blackened300a
11-11-2005, 03:14 PM
Just do what you wish and quit making statements like the one above just for the sake of "Stirring The Pot".

Im Sorry if you took it that way. It was a Over-Exaggeration. Given the length of the dipstick tube and the Fact that I have Never heard of this happening was the Reason for My comment.

We still Pals?? lol :hug:

Marauderjack
11-11-2005, 03:38 PM
Pals....Naw!!

Hell we're FAMILY!!:beer:

I know you were exaggerating a bit...just pulling you leg!!;)

I'm glad we have such petty things to bicker about and life is still GOOD!!!:)

Marauderjack:D

SergntMac
11-12-2005, 09:00 AM
The Vent on the transmission is to vent the Gases and Air that builds up just like the vent on the rear diff. I never heard of or seen fluid blow out a vent. Usually if the vent is clogged and the gases can't escape, you'll likely blow a gasket or a seal. Also if you are blowing tranny fluid out the dipstick tube, you have to be a gallon overfull at least! Well then, I guess shouldn't have mentioned it.

Ummm...Yep, it was just about two years ago next week, I stop by Pande's on Schoolcraft Road to look at a 700 HP Marauder that drove itself through a solid cinderblock wall about a foot and a half thick. It did this from a standing start from about 20 feet away, talk about traction...Anyway, while Brad Bockstance and I are horsing around, we swap out my OEM tranny pan for a deep dish FRP aluminum pan, and install a forced tail shaft lube kit. We kind of lost track of what we were doing and overfill the tranny by a quart. We thought is would be okay, but that was when the fluid was cold.

By the time I drove from Livonia to Ann Arbor, it was hot enough to blow out of the vent, and flow all over the exhaust system. I made smoke all the way to Michigan City Indiana, it was quite embarrassing. It's now 25K miles later, and no problems surfaced from the overfill. In fact no tranny problems of any sort, since it was rebuilt by Jerry W. in October of '03, and enduring 500 plus at the wheels.

When I say no worries, I mean no worries.

DEFYANT
11-12-2005, 09:09 AM
I agree with Mac. My trans was about a qt over before I drained to get where I was when I posted this thread / question. I did not have any problems 'cept a high reading on the dipstick that bugged me.

Joe Walsh
11-12-2005, 09:53 AM
It takes at least 20 - 30 miles of driving to bring your automatic transmission
to operating temperature.
Driving it for 5 miles is not going to do it.Check the fluid after driving when you are getting out of the Marauder.
Park it on level ground, leave the engine idling,
pull the stick, wipe, and re-dip.
If its anywhere near the hatched area you are good.
If it is just below the hatch, adding a couple ounces should bring it up to full.
Only add in small increments because whatever you add,
is going to expend when it warms up.

I realized this once I had installed my Transmission Temp gauge....
The transmission fluid, like the engine oil, takes a LOT LONGER to get up to normal operating range than I would have ever thought!
Also, when the transmission is 'locked up' in overdrive you create VERY little heat. Punch it and spin the torque converter real good and you'll get lots of heat in a hurry.

04MRADR
11-12-2005, 06:46 PM
Just had my fluid changed at 27K. obly took 6 quarts. My mechanic changed the filter as I instructed. No metal in pan. He advised other 6 or 7 quarts can't be drained since no plug in the torque converter area I think he said. Suggested I change filter every other change and get transmission flush to replace entire 13 quarts every other change. Fluid at 27K looked brand new.