PDA

View Full Version : Alternate pulley info and Methanol question

snowbird
11-12-2005, 12:48 PM
Hi everyone,

I just finished installation of my winter setup ==> snowtires and winter 380 pulley. Below, a pic of the slim winter tire compared with the Pirelli summer.

The pulley install was a real piece of cake as it took less than one hour. We also changed the oil even if it wasn't due (while at it). The oil was measured and not a drop was missing after 8000 KLMs (5000miles) and still cristal clear. I really like the easyness of playing around with this kit.

For the one interested, the FIT procharger kit with behind the grille intercooler maximum boost goes as follows:
360 - 10-12 pounds pulley goes to 10 pounds, (summer trim)
380 - 6-8 pounds pulley goes to 7.5 pounds. (winter trim)

Finally, i'm having a hard time with the winter fuel receipe up here and the car started to knock even with a tweaked out tune from Dave.

I'm seriously considering adding a Snow methanol kit to settle this as tune tweaking and Octane booster additive doesn't seem to improve enough. I wouldn't use it to raise the timing and HP but just knock control. A local shop add installed about ten kits and push this as THE final solution for our cheap local fuel.

Please fell free to opinion this: Do you guys think Methanol injection would be effective as an octane booster - knock control tool ?

Thanks

younga1
11-12-2005, 04:08 PM
Fly south for the winter! Texas will extend you a warm welcome:) :)

snowbird
11-12-2005, 07:40 PM
LOL ! I'm coming in for a 5 months stay !

HwyCruiser
11-12-2005, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the info on the 380 pulley. I'm going to go with your "winter trim" after I get done playing this year, although I doubt I'll have the same severity with the winter blend gas here... at least I hope not.

Keep us in the loop on the methanol kit if you decide to go that way. It might be the edge I'll be looking for next year.

MarauderTJA
11-12-2005, 11:01 PM
LOL ! I'm coming in for a 5 months stay !

Mon Amie, Texas is nice, a little chilly though. I'll be in Dallas and Big Spring the first two weeks of December (brrrrrr). Florida, high 70's, what it is all about in the winter. Plenty of room down here for those from the frigid north.

MENINBLK
11-12-2005, 11:26 PM
...Finally, i'm having a hard time with the winter fuel receipe up here and the car started to knock even with a tweaked out tune from Dave.

You don't need an Octane Booster.
Stay away from that stuff, it's bad for the engine,
and you need LOTS of it to make any really great octane increases.

I had a knocking problem and it turned out to be my THERMOSTAT.
Try changing yours and see if it cures the problem.

snowbird
11-13-2005, 05:43 AM
Meninblk,

Thanks for the input. I don't think its my thermostat though. The car did the same last winter when i was N/A. It started in november and went away at the end of march. I also tweaked the tune back then with a halfway success. This year, same story. November = knock again. Tweaked the tune with a halfway success too and a have a very recent 180 thermostat. The car still move but i must have the discipline to stay below 3700 rpm. That's kind of too much to ask for me !!

maraudernkc
11-18-2005, 04:30 PM
Yvon, how many miles do you have on the car since we installed the blower? Your fuel filter was about 80% clogged when we put the blower on your car. I would change that and if you still have a problem with detonation than call Dave at Injected Racing and he will adjust your timing for your winter gas. You know you can always call me also. Greg 913/302-5780

Meninblk,

Thanks for the input. I don't think its my thermostat though. The car did the same last winter when i was N/A. It started in november and went away at the end of march. I also tweaked the tune back then with a halfway success. This year, same story. November = knock again. Tweaked the tune with a halfway success too and a have a very recent 180 thermostat. The car still move but i must have the discipline to stay below 3700 rpm. That's kind of too much to ask for me !!

TooManyFords
11-18-2005, 04:48 PM
Just set your rev limiter to 3700 and call it a 'winter'!

;)

Cheers!

John

HwyCruiser
11-18-2005, 05:38 PM
FIT Mike just put on my 380 pulley tonight and so far I like it a lot. I haven't had time to get her on a highway ramp and see where the needle pegs at but she still feels really strong. She spools right up to 5 psi with moderate pedal just like before. Was kind of expecting a lot less, but around town its pretty transparent.

Next mod is to get the IC relocated behind the grill. Besides Mike not really having the time to do the relocation tonight, it will be interesting to see what the net effects were between both mods are separately.

I might even get some track time this weekend to see what the net 1/4 mile time difference is with just one step bigger pulley. I'm still working on my 60 footer anyway. :)

snowbird
11-18-2005, 07:37 PM
Greg: The car have 5 000 miles. I did put a tweaked tune but i think the quality of winter gaz is just about beyond the tune up here in the toundra. Right now, i'm at a low 9 degrees initial and it still ping like ... well like a pig. It was doing the same last winter when i was N/A.

John: LOL ! but no thank you on this one.:)

JD: I do like the bigger pulley and no apparent loss down the rpm range. It seems there's not that much of a difference with your actual location of intercooler than with behind the grillle. I assume you should do about 7.75-8.0 pounds with the actual pulley and AC under the bumper. Keep me posted if i'm right.

To all: I did made the order of a Snow kit 2 days ago. Should have it at the end of next week. I will need more time to move the battery in the trunk and then install the Snow kit in place. It will be boost activated: on at around 3 pounds, full methanol injection at 6 pounds. With the manufacturer name in mind, i can not go wrong !! I won't play with the timing (to gain HP and TQ)but will use it as an octane booster/knock control tool. i'll keep you posted of my progress.

JD, Put your hand on the MMFF magazine of June 2005. There an install exemple done at JDM. They did retune the car (more timing and a bit less fuel) to a gain of 37 RWHP and 42 RWTQ on a 2003 SVT Cobra with Whipplecharger upgrade.. Maybe worth a look if you think thats what needed to go eleven. I would be shy to tune it taking for granted the Snow setup is working but maybe some of you guys would want to upped it up a bit to see. Anyway, apparently it worked well on P-51D Mustangs in the early fortys but i hum hum, would need the help of others (older) respected members of the club to tell tale !