PDA

View Full Version : Trans Temp Trivia

DEFYANT
11-13-2005, 09:07 PM
Today I cruised on home from LINY to Md. While doing so, I had the laptop in the car and pretty much data logged the whole trip. I have a lot of info to sort through now. What jumped out at me was the transmission temps.

The computer says the temps ranged from 188* (cruise control on at 55 mph) to 203* under moderate load.

The guage showed 140* to 160*. I have instaled an inline trans temp manifold to monitor the fluid as it exits the trans to the radiator. I will check to make sure I have it on the right line because this looks like I am reading the cooled fluid :confused:

Trans fluid level was at the top of the XXXX area... perfect level.

David Morton
11-15-2005, 10:06 AM
Today I cruised on home from LINY to Md. While doing so, I had the laptop in the car and pretty much data logged the whole trip. I have a lot of info to sort through now. What jumped out at me was the transmission temps.

The computer says the temps ranged from 188* (cruise control on at 55 mph) to 203* under moderate load.

The guage showed 140* to 160*. I have instaled an inline trans temp manifold to monitor the fluid as it exits the trans to the radiator. I will check to make sure I have it on the right line because this looks like I am reading the cooled fluid :confused:

Trans fluid level was at the top of the XXXX area... perfect level.You have it on the wrong line alright.

DEFYANT
11-15-2005, 10:57 AM
You have it on the wrong line alright.

I figured. I have not been to the car yet to "fix" it. I hooked it into the trans coolant line that is the top line on the radiator.

Well now I know the trans fluid is cooled to about 140* :o

David Morton
11-18-2005, 11:45 PM
140 degrees F is excellent.

Perhaps it's not so bad you're "backwards" since this oil goes to the lube circuits inside the tranny first and keeps those parts cool. Maybe we should let well enough alone now that I think about it. As long as the oil is getting cool enough, it doesn't matter how hot it's been. We have the temperature sensitive red dye to tell us when it's been too hot too often and it's time to flush it.

Still, the hottest line is a good measure of the current load on the convertor. I suppose if you raced a can am circuit (typical rush hour traffic :D ), you might want to move the sensor manifold.

DEFYANT
11-19-2005, 05:34 AM
The irony!

I switched it yesterday. The temps are at 170-180 during normal driving. I am going to the track today and will post results later.

Thanks Dave!

SergntMac
11-19-2005, 06:00 AM
Engines and trannies share the common trait that there are several ways and means to monitor temperatures, and each way will report different temps. None are the best, and none are wrong. Establish your ideal base temp, and be warned when that temp exceeds a predefined limit. Even coming out of the cooler is fine, that will tell you if the cooler is working okay too, and if those temps spike to 180, you need to check things out.

David Morton
11-19-2005, 10:13 AM
The irony!

I switched it yesterday. The temps are at 170-180 during normal driving. I am going to the track today and will post results later.

Thanks Dave!I await your early reply with bated breath.

Watch it go up fast when you stall the convertor at the christmas tree. 250 degrees is the cutoff point, you can start to worry when you exceed that.

RVT04
12-15-2005, 10:45 AM
I await your early reply with bated breath.

Watch it go up fast when you stall the convertor at the christmas tree. 250 degrees is the cutoff point, you can start to worry when you exceed that.
in july i had dennis do the artkarr level II tranny kit with forced tailshaft lubrication and all the extras the temp guage in the console told me at 85 mph coming across miss. i was running at 210 in the bottom of the pan
now i know the mercon fluid is rated well over that and i doubt it would ever breakdown under "normal" driving conditions but Texas summers being what they are and my right foot being what it is
i will definitely have a b&m cooler on the car before next summer gets here

RVT04
12-15-2005, 11:00 AM
so next question is which line is the line into the radiator from the tranny and which is the return to the tranny and the extra inline cooler should go on the line from tranny before the radiator to lessen the heat on the rest of the system
i've got this right don't i?

cyclone03
12-15-2005, 11:24 AM
so next question is which line is the line into the radiator from the tranny and which is the return to the tranny and the extra inline cooler should go on the line from tranny before the radiator to lessen the heat on the rest of the system
i've got this right don't i?

The line with the white tape on it,at the radiator end,comes from the trans to the cooler.

I just went out and looked at my set up.
The white taped hoes are in the stock location,untouched.

The stock none marked hose was removed at the stock cooler,the top one on my car.Then rerouted to the B&M unit.From the B&M back to the stock metal line behind the radiator.
Just look between the radiator and engine on the pasenger side and you'll see the stock conections down low.

You will need about 6-8 feet of hose to complete the job,maybe closer to 6 it has been two years sense my install.

I didn't use the hose from the kit,I went to a local parts house,Not Autozone,O'railey or NAPA. A place called Full Service down here that stocks OEM parts and used power steering hose,I took the stock hose with me and told them I want some of this and thats what I got.

Normal Summer Driving,Highway with the PI 3000rpm converter runs in the 150f range.
Stop and go 105f out side temp and I've seen about 190f I have never seen higher than that even in stop and go LA traffic.But I also do not drive hard when the temps are high.
IMHO with the converter you need to pay attention to the tranny temp and "cool it" when the temps get up.

I also have the deep pan,with the sensor in the left front corner.

schuvwj
12-18-2005, 10:36 AM
A sure way to check which trany line is flowing from the trany is by touch.
Start your car, (cold), and grab both lines. The one flowing from the trany will get warm 1st.
I put an external spin type trany filter on my MM and that is how I determined the flow direction.

Bill Schuver