PDA

View Full Version : Rear Sway Bar

jimlam56
11-14-2005, 04:55 PM
Is the Addco rear sway bar a noticeable improvement over the stock rear sway bar?
Thanks, Jim

fastblackmerc
11-14-2005, 05:00 PM
It's supposed to be. I just picked up a frt & rear from Addco, went to their factory, I just installed the front one this past Saturday. The difference in the physical size is amazing. There is a noticable improvement with just the frt bar installed. Frt toook about 1hr to install because I stopped to take some pics. I'll post some pics of the bars side-by-side and the steps I took to do the install. For the price I'd recommend doing both.

Marauderman
11-14-2005, 05:01 PM
lets just say YES--like the difference of strength between a pencil and a rubber band--multliplied many times--go for it --Tom--

jimlam56
11-14-2005, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the reply guys.
I bought an Addco from Dennis R this weekend but it won't be in until this week. Started to have a tad of buyer's remorse after I started looking at the stock one. Is the old one of any use to the Crown Vic guys?
Thanks, Jim

fastblackmerc
11-14-2005, 05:10 PM
Don't know if there is any difference.

Cobra25
11-14-2005, 05:15 PM
Is the Addco rear sway bar a noticeable improvement over the stock rear sway bar?
Thanks, Jim The rear sway bar is a noticeable, I put mine on about 4or 5 weeks ago. I'm very happy with it. I put the front on with some help from RoyLPita last friday . Not sure if I like it yet. It make's the front stiffer than I may of liked. But the car stay's level around turns now.

jimlam56
11-14-2005, 05:25 PM
Dennis R's advice was to get the rear not the front.
He pointed out to my son and I how beefy the stock front one is.
Bigger is not always better....
Jim

Cobra25
11-14-2005, 05:31 PM
Dennis R's advice was to get the rear not the front.
He pointed out to my son and I how beefy the stock front one is.
Bigger is not always better....
Jim That's true ! It's all about what you like.

JMan
11-14-2005, 06:03 PM
Jim,
I'd be interested in it. It's several millimeters larger in diameter than mine. It's the same size as the units on the HPP and older Interceptor Vics. Baker County is quite a ride for me. PM me with some details and I'll let you know.
Thanks,
J

BruteForce
11-14-2005, 06:10 PM
Jim,
I'd be interested in it. It's several millimeters larger in diameter than mine. It's the same size as the units on the HPP and older Interceptor Vics. Baker County is quite a ride for me. PM me with some details and I'll let you know.
Thanks,
J

I have a stock front bar if you're interested.

JMan
11-14-2005, 06:58 PM
Brute,
My car is a Sport. It has a nearly-as-big-as-your . . . wrist, front bar. I have that puny 17mm bar on the back though. I'll research the difference and get back to you via PM. Thanks for the thought!
J

johnfain
11-14-2005, 07:25 PM
Thanks, Jim

Yes. If you are looking for less roll go with it and the front sway bar, cornering is much better now.

Marauder386
11-14-2005, 08:10 PM
I have both the front and rear bars as well as the Metco control arms...awesome self install after picking them up from DR ! I also slapped on a ProGuard...what the hey...
RoadPig 1 drives like it is welded to a rail, IMHO ! Will have the Metco Watts link put on by DR very soon when she goes to get S/C'd...

:coolman:

Roger D
11-14-2005, 08:31 PM
The rear sway bar is my only suspension mod and I was very pleased with the result. Cornering is materially better than stock, with no other changes in the characteristic of the car's ride quality. An outstanding return for a minimal investment - go for it without concern.

Hope this helps.

Roger D

ADE 1000
11-14-2005, 08:39 PM
I had the Addco rear sway bar installed about a month ago and I am very happy with it. The car is noticably flatter and more neutral. There are no ill effects that I can think of.

RF Overlord
11-14-2005, 09:19 PM
^^^what Roger D and ADE 1000 said^^^

TripleTransAm
11-14-2005, 09:27 PM
I had the Addco rear sway bar installed about a month ago and I am very happy with it. The car is noticably flatter and more neutral. There are no ill effects that I can think of.

Any issues with oversteer or any other large change of dynamics? Specifically, how would this affect a car like this on snow?

ADE 1000
11-15-2005, 06:37 AM
Any issues with oversteer or any other large change of dynamics? Specifically, how would this affect a car like this on snow?

The larger rear sway bar does seem to shift the balance towards oversteer. However, the end result is a car that is more neutral (instead of being prone to understeer) and not one that fishtails around every corner. I consider this a good thing and I would not characterize the result as a large change in vehicle dynamics.

I recently had the swaybar installed, so I'll refrain from giving my final opinion on winter/snow performance for a few months. Based on my experience so far, I suspect the effect in the snow would be minimal if the car is driven responsibly. I have noticed that I can kick the tail out more easiliy in the rain, but I must do this deliberatly and it has never caught me by surprise.

TripleTransAm
11-15-2005, 07:16 AM
I recently had the swaybar installed, so I'll refrain from giving my final opinion on winter/snow performance for a few months.

Awaiting your feedback...

In my case, what I would want to avoid would be sudden attitude changes instead of a smooth controlled transition. Right now, the stock setup modulates between understeer and oversteer quite easily by controlling the throttle in deep snow, and I'd not want to shift things to the point where ANY throttle application would put me in the oversteer zone.

Bradley G
11-15-2005, 07:39 AM
Me Two, and I like it!

BigCars4Ever
11-15-2005, 07:56 AM
I think the rear bar helps keep the understeer controled. I don't feel the front plow like it used to on the 03 without the rear bar. If you were to beef up the front bar too I would expect that plow effect would return.

mpearce
11-15-2005, 02:22 PM
Pics of my ADDCO sway bar are up in the gallery.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/browseimages.php?do=member&imageuser=2114

-Mat

Black 04
11-16-2005, 07:47 AM
Pics of my ADDCO rear sway bar are up in the gallery.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/browseimages.php?do=member&imageuser=2114

-Mat

Now I'm confused:dunno: , is that a picture or a rear bar?? Looks like a front bar to me.

mpearce
11-16-2005, 09:18 AM
Sorry guys...got them backwards. My aplolgies.

Sorry about the pictures...they were taken in a parking garage in low light with a video camera. The quality is bad. Hopefully Santa can help fix that. :D

-Mat

CrazyCor15
11-19-2005, 05:06 AM
Nope...that is the rear sway bar. Sorry about the pictures...they were taken in a parking garage in low light with a video camera. The quality is bad. Hopefully Santa can help fix that. :D

Check out this thread...post #11. It has the picture of the Rear Sway Bar first, and the Front Sway Bar beneath it. Hope this helps.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22033&highlight=ADDCO

-Mat
:cool: Are you Sure?