PDA

View Full Version : Mickey Thompson revisited.

CRUZTAKER
11-15-2005, 10:48 AM
I still get the occational PM and email questioning the slicks I use at the track. I always have to do my own search to find my original post to answer the questions.

Allow me to clear some things up regarding these tires.

The tires I use now are the E/T Streets, nylon, black, tube type sized 28X11.50-16LT. Overall diameter is 28, and circ. is 88. Foot print is 8.7".
The fit is very good.

My car, running 14.x et's and trap speeds averaging 109, gets a bit wobbly 3/4 of the way down the track. I am ok with it, but it leaves MUCH to be desired. The white knuckle holding on is getting old. Any faster and I would NOT be comfortable with these bias ply tires.

What I WANT is : Mickey Thompson E/T Street RADIAL. There is a size issue however. There isn't a 16" tire in our desired heigth and dimension. There is a 15" however, but that means I need rims now as well. The size is 275/60/15 which = 28X11.5-15R. Overall diameter is 28, circ is 87, and footprint is 9.2.

CLICK THIS LINK TO SEE MORE INFO (http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/racewheels.html)

I guess the only question I have is, how close to the shock towers will these be. And that really cannot be answered until I find a 15" wheel that somewhat fits our MM's.

BTW: Summit beats everyones prices so far at $159.00 each.

CRUZTAKER
11-15-2005, 10:51 AM
Is anyone able to point me toward a 15" rim?
Cheap?:D

RAUDER
11-15-2005, 08:07 PM
Barry....

I'm using the et drag radials 255/50R16 on some cheap 16X7 alloy wheels. They hook up but I think a taller tire would give me a stronger launch.

johnfain
11-15-2005, 09:26 PM
I still get the occational PM and email questioning the slicks I use at the track. I always have to do my own search to find my original post to answer the questions.

Allow me to clear some things up regarding these tires.

The tires I use now are the E/T Streets, nylon, black, tube type sized 28X11.50-16LT. Overall diameter is 28, and circ. is 88. Foot print is 8.7".
The fit is very good.

My car, running 14.x et's and trap speeds averaging 109, gets a bit wobbly 3/4 of the way down the track. I am ok with it, but it leaves MUCH to be desired. The white knuckle holding on is getting old. Any faster and I would NOT be comfortable with these bias ply tires.

What I WANT is : Mickey Thompson E/T Street RADIAL. There is a size issue however. There isn't a 16" tire in our desired heigth and dimension. There is a 15" however, but that means I need rims now as well. The size is 275/60/15 which = 28X11.5-15R. Overall diameter is 28, circ is 87, and footprint is 9.2.

CLICK THIS LINK TO SEE MORE INFO (http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/racewheels.html)

I guess the only question I have is, how close to the shock towers will these be. And that really cannot be answered until I find a 15" wheel that somewhat fits our MM's.

BTW: Summit beats everyones prices so far at $159.00 each.

Centerline. http://www.centerlinewheels.com/wheel_deals_detail.php?id=501&type=bolt&data=5-4.5

These are rotary forged billet aluminum wheels versus forged billet wheels. There is a big difference.

I am ordering a pair of 15's for the rear, custom backspacing and width. I'll let you know how it works out.

Glenn
11-15-2005, 09:46 PM
Man, I hate to seem stupid on this net. But, what is wrong with the Nitto 295/305s? The 295s are about 11.5" wide and the 305s even wider. I do not have a S/C and probably never will unless I win the next lottery, but my 295s seem to hook the MM very well with my modest mods. It got my 60' time down to 2.03, not good but better then before. O.K. folks be easy on me.

Glenn

FordNut
11-15-2005, 09:46 PM
Centerline. http://www.centerlinewheels.com/wheel_deals_detail.php?id=501&type=bolt&data=5-4.5

These are rotary forged billet aluminum wheels versus forged billet wheels. There is a big difference.

I am ordering a pair of 15's for the rear, custom backspacing and width. I'll let you know how it works out.
Way to go John. Anxious to hear about how they work. I'm thinking 15x10 with M/T ET Street Drag Radials in 295/65x15. They're 29" tall and ought to hook.

FordNut
11-15-2005, 09:50 PM
Man, I hate to seem stupid on this net. But, what is wrong with the Nitto 295/305s? I do not have a S/C and probably never will unless I win the next lottery, but my 295s seem to hook the MM very well with my modest mods. It got my 60' time down to 2.03, not good but better then before. O.K. folks be easy on me.

Glenn:burn:
With a s/c the Nittos can pretty easily be smoked thru the 60' lights. But Nittos are the only option in the 18" wheels. M/T drag radials are a lot stickier than Nittos. But don't even think about driving in the rain with the M/Ts (the Nittos are not terribly bad in the rain, or so I've heard).

Oh, I've been meaning to ask how the Nitto rears work in the rain for you?

Glenn
11-15-2005, 09:55 PM
Brian:

Thanks, I just did not realize the M/Ts were that much better then the 305s. Anyone know when the Timeslips may reappear???

The Nitto 295s work basically like the OEM tires. But, honestly I do not push it very hard in the rain just to be safe.

Glenn

FordNut
11-15-2005, 09:59 PM
Something wrong with my suggestion? Wrong size?

If I'm on the wrong track, please clue me?

IMHO, the 275/40/17 MT drag radial seem to cure more than one problem, but I may have missed something here. Anyone?
Aren't they too short?

johnfain
11-15-2005, 10:23 PM
Way to go John. Anxious to hear about how they work. I'm thinking 15x10 with M/T ET Street Drag Radials in 295/65x15. They're 29" tall and ought to hook.

My man FordNut :coolman:

I am also going to go with a 15x10 with a custom 5.3-5.8" backspacing. The 10" width and wider tire (hopefully 11"+) should compensate for the backspacing adjustment. The great thing about the setup is that you can buy a set of 15" drag radials cheap all day long. I just don't see spending $200 plus per tire on the Nitto's. With a 15" your choices are unlimited, cheap, and sticky as you want. :burnout: :burnout:

CRUZTAKER
11-16-2005, 08:30 AM
Centerline.
http://www.centerlinewheels.com/wheel_deals_detail.php?id=501&type=bolt&data=5-4.5 (http://www.centerlinewheels.com/wheel_deals_detail.php?id=501&type=bolt&data=5-4.5)

I will be watching your progress. I am not up for custom backspacing. I could care less if they stick out a bit. I am used to power washing spent rubber off my trunk, roof, windows, and mirrors.:cool:

Well, I must be missing something here, 'cause I have to ask "too short for what?" The M/T drag radial is just under 26" tall, but so are others. Is this too short for racing?...

I didn't ignore your post. I always pay attention to your input regarding tires. After all...YOU GAVE ME THE M/T's I USE NOW. :up:
Originally I overlooked that size you suggested ONLY because of the 26" height, AND the 5" difference in run out.

Obviously the LOOK surely didn't matter to ME, (others maybe - but not me), because 15" rims will definately look...well...different.

My concern was the height and run out effecting my gear programming and the possibility of my banging the rev limiter on occation. I just figured sticking with 28" inches tall would avoid any further 'wierdness'.

SergntMac
11-16-2005, 08:32 AM
Aren't they too short? Indeed they are, and I missed Barry's intent in his original post. Carry on...

CRUZTAKER
11-16-2005, 08:34 AM
I want to add that Billy has a concurring thread HERE (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22639).

We seem to always be thinking along similar lines...this time we posted within minutes of each other.

:burnout: