PDA

View Full Version : Snowing In Chicago

Rider90
11-16-2005, 04:44 PM
What are YOUR plans - MM hibernation or putting on the snow boots? I just placed my order for Pirelli Scorpions and I'm awaiting Ray's reply about steel wheels...

SilverStreak
11-16-2005, 05:07 PM
'98 Riviera that is:rolleyes: ....76k miles, it's the wife's daily driver and is our snowmobile. The MM will only go on dry roads during
the Winter.

SergntMac
11-16-2005, 05:47 PM
Most of us south sider "She-caw-gah" folks first ask "did it stick?" Nope, not yet, so, it's just another blustery day. Once snow sticks, it's my '91 Gran Marque until it doesn't stick anymore.

Gre8one7
11-16-2005, 08:32 PM
well i am 2 hours west of chicago....we got snow...and a hell of a wind storm. I am planning on driving my marauder all year long...cant afford winter tires but im not planning on hitting anything (ill flip out on the first person to hit me though!!)

ADE 1000
11-17-2005, 05:50 AM
I was planning on selling my Pirelli Scorpions and buying a winter beater this year, but I never got around to it. It looks like the MM is going to have to suffer through another winter, although I wish it didn't start so soon. We were recently enjoying 60 degree weather.

I was hoping to wait until next month to put the snow shoes on, but the way things are going I might be putting them on next weekend. :down:

Eric91Z
11-17-2005, 06:17 AM
I was hoping to wait until next month to put the snow shoes on, but the way things are going I might be putting them on next weekend. :down:

I was kind of hoping to put it off for a couple more weeks, too, but after the other night decided I would rather have them on and be ready than hope the weather reports are right.

I will say this - the ride is a lot smoother and quieter with the Pirelli's on there than with the BFG's.

Bradley G
11-17-2005, 06:28 AM
Snow shoes going on sooner than than expected.
Keeping her til spring?

Wags
11-17-2005, 07:05 AM
I have to get new snows this year. This will be winter #4 for me. The snows really held up nice for the last 3 years, but won't make it another winter. I'll change them out before Thanksgiving. I am thinking of going to an all season tire this year, instead of a pure snow tire.

Wags

STLR FN
11-17-2005, 07:36 AM
Speaking of snow. How much do younz normally have in late Dec? It's been 20yrs since I've lived there and I'll be coming to Chitown the 26th through the 29th for a small vacation. Staying at the Sheraton Hotel and Towers.

ADE 1000
11-17-2005, 08:15 AM
Speaking of snow. How much do younz normally have in late Dec? It's been 20yrs since I've lived there and I'll be coming to Chitown the 26th through the 29th for a small vacation. Staying at the Sheraton Hotel and Towers.

Its a crapshoot. Based on recent history, we have not had much snow in December. But there is no reason why that could'nt change.

The Sheraton downtown is a fairly nice place and well located.

STLR FN
11-17-2005, 08:17 AM
Yep right off the Miracle Mile.
Its a crap shoot. Based on recent history, we have not had much snow in December. But there is no reason why that couldn't change.

The Sheraton downtown is a fairly nice place and well located.

UAW 588
11-17-2005, 05:16 PM
Mine went under glass yesterday. The wife got a rental car until her new company car comes in, so I get to use the Explorer for my daily driver to and from work. No more snow or salt for my baby. Life is good.:banana2:

MarkVI351
11-17-2005, 06:26 PM
well....im trying to push my dad to get a Marauder this weekend. We got something from Libertyville Lincoln Mercury....Lets just hope he goes thru with it.

1987LTDmasta
11-17-2005, 06:28 PM
teh box is in the garage now.

Jolly Roger
11-17-2005, 07:04 PM
Are you kidding,
My MM doesn"t see any rain let alone Snow.
It clashes with the Black paint.:)

bigslim
11-17-2005, 11:09 PM
I plan on buying a big fan and blowing the snow back to Chicago. :D

What are YOUR plans - MM hibernation or putting on the snow boots? I just placed my order for Pirelli Scorpions and I'm awaiting Ray's reply about steel wheels...

Rider90
11-17-2005, 11:12 PM
I plan on buying a big fan and blowing the snow back to Chicago. :D
I knew you Michigan-Folk had a trick up your sleeve this year :eek:

2003_MM_FYRE49
11-18-2005, 02:23 PM
Are you kidding,
My MM doesn"t see any rain let alone Snow.
It clashes with the Black paint.:)

Same here, mine becomes a garage queen the moment ill weather hits.

Lou
11-18-2005, 05:27 PM
Mine is my daily driver and I'll be driving it without the help of snow tires through the winter.

Nuts? Yup, you bet I am. :eek:

Of course I have to admit that when the snow gets too bad I either go to Maui for a month, hibernate or I talk my wife out of her car.

Fastronald
11-18-2005, 06:51 PM
The Marauder sits quietly in the garage.................the daily driver 93' Vicki LX does winter and summer duty.

Eric91Z
11-19-2005, 07:23 AM
The Marauder sits quietly in the garage.................the daily driver 93' Vicki LX does winter and summer duty.

This is the kind of setup I hope to have some day. The Marauder will be the summer, fun, project car and a daily driver CV LX Sport. Get all the ammenaties of the MM, for the most part, in an "everyday" kind of car that you just drive. Something like an '03 or '04 CVLXS.

MM2004
11-19-2005, 07:42 AM
When I first bought the MM, it was a daily driver. That has since changed thanks to the Wife buying a "beater" for traveling to work and back.

From then on, I have been driving our '04 Mountaineer AWD in inclement weather.

Drove the MM in snow last year once, and it SUCKED!

Doesn't even get driven in the rain these days.

All I need now is a huge garage sale...

Shaft333
11-24-2005, 05:31 AM
The reason I'm browsing the forum now is trying to figure out what folks are doing for snow shoes.

I considered the winter beater, but have come to the conclusion that the car is meant to be driven not hidden.

I have a few quotes on some tires. Various brands. It's funny, how it seems so difficult to just buy a winter package in one stop.

Why doesn't Tire Rack have steel wheels? Not cost effective?
How are those Pirellis?

Eric91Z
11-24-2005, 06:40 AM
The reason I'm browsing the forum now is trying to figure out what folks are doing for snow shoes.

I considered the winter beater, but have come to the conclusion that the car is meant to be driven not hidden.

I have a few quotes on some tires. Various brands. It's funny, how it seems so difficult to just buy a winter package in one stop.

Why doesn't Tire Rack have steel wheels? Not cost effective?
How are those Pirellis?

Well, we have gotten one snow storm so far. As I reported, I had to drive home in it with the stock BFG's and would do about anything not to go through that again.

I put the Pirelli's on that night and had just the next day to drive to work on some snow and ice covered roads and it was gone by the time I was heading back home. They did just fine. And they have been doing just fine on the dry pavement - quiet, nice ride, OK grip - which is fine since they are a winter tire not a performance tire. Guess we will see what happens with the next snow we get.

jgc61sr2002
11-24-2005, 07:05 AM
Snowed on Long Island last night. Rising temperatures brought rain which promptly melted the snow on the roadways.:D

Fastronald
12-08-2005, 08:37 PM
Using the same T/A radials winter or summer on the 93'.

We got between 8 ans 9 inches of snow today in the southwest suburbs.

12 - 8 - 05

jabird56
12-08-2005, 08:44 PM
Snow in Chicago,...and a Southwest 737 slides off the runway at Midway airport tonight...

MarkVI351
12-10-2005, 11:36 PM
may i add: slid off the runway into the middle of Central Ave killing a kid. poor kid.

Shaft333
12-14-2005, 11:11 AM
I got my snow tires installed before the (big) snow. Traffic was too much to really evaluate them.

Then the flurries on Saturday stuck enough and the tires proved to be a good investment.

Thanks to folks on this forum for convincing me to get these. Now I can use this car year round.

I considered the beater, but then I told myself that I bought this car - essentially as a three season car (that's when I still had the bike).

The buyer's remorse for the car itself, although, is still getting deeper.

Eric91Z
12-14-2005, 11:16 AM
I don't think I would ever drive a car in snowy winters again without dedicated winter tires. These things do rock. Just makes me frustrated as I keep getting behind people going 30-35 mph on the highway because they are scared and I was running 50-55mph before running up on them.

Dragcity
12-14-2005, 11:27 AM
Just wanted to let everyone know what fits. I got 16" CV wheels and had Firestone put Wintermarks on them. I wanted to get some height and fill the wheel well, and did just that.

The sizes I went with: F - 235/70-16
R - 265/70-16

Believe it or not they fit very well, and I didn't sacrafice too much in tread width. They handle great on wet, dry and snow. A litle bit bouncy due to the taller sidewalls, and they make a little noise at speed. So far I am extreemly pleased with the set-up.

I used an Excel spreadsheet to figure the difference between front and rear percent change. I came as close as I could to the 4.78% difference from OEM. I have traveled nearly 500 miles on this set-up and no lights have come on and no scraping has occured. The car sits a little higher, which is what I wanted. Just need to get wheel covers so I don't look like a Monster Cop...