PDA

View Full Version : exhaust question

mercmatt
11-27-2005, 06:26 AM
me and my dad are putting the delete tips on our marauders while they are put away for the winter. while that was being done i was figuring on an x-pipe. i know that it balances the flow, but are there any real advantages to having an x-pipe? and i did notice that more exhaust fumes come out of the left pipe than the right.

Smokie
11-27-2005, 06:47 AM
Not sure adding x-pipe and leaving OEM cast iron exhaust manifold will add any performance, the bottleneck starts at the manifold.

The x-pipe is 2.5", the stock h-pipe is 2.25". I am not sure if you are seeking performance, different sound, better appearance, just changing to delete tips will provide a more agressive sound and kinda of growl / gurgle instead of the smooth sound OEM exhaust has.

In my opinion adding x-pipe to OEM manifolds will produce only a cosmetic change.:)

TripleTransAm
11-27-2005, 07:19 AM
Adding an x-pipe should provide a little more scavenging of the exhaust. The H-pipe is on there only to provide the possibility of balancing the exhaust pulses from side-to-side, but the x-pipe actually induces some movement on the other branch. As mentioned, it all depends on what is upstream as to how much of a gain, but there will be a change.

The exhaust note also will change. I was considering an x-pipe or H-pipe on my '78 T/A's new true-dual exhaust. Word has it that the X-pipe will give an impression of increasing the pitch of the exhaust note, which is not what I was after with that car so I will stick with an H-pipe come this spring.

Joe Walsh
11-27-2005, 07:55 AM
Adding an x-pipe should provide a little more scavenging of the exhaust. The H-pipe is on there only to provide the possibility of balancing the exhaust pulses from side-to-side, but the x-pipe actually induces some movement on the other branch. As mentioned, it all depends on what is upstream as to how much of a gain, but there will be a change.

The exhaust note also will change. I was considering an x-pipe or H-pipe on my '78 T/A's new true-dual exhaust. Word has it that the X-pipe will give an impression of increasing the pitch of the exhaust note, which is not what I was after with that car so I will stick with an H-pipe come this spring.

It will give the exhaust a higher pitch....Once I installed my Kooks, Cats & X-Pipe my Marauder was a LOT louder but the PITCH was higher as well.
It sounds kind of like a big Ferrari when you wind it out...
I think it is because the individual exhaust pulses are blended together when you use an X-Pipe vs an H-Pipe.
I like it, it is a unique sound that goes well with a 6200 rpm DOHC but if you want that traditional American V8 rumble I think that an H-Pipe will work better.

TAF
11-27-2005, 08:05 AM
H-Pipe and X-Pipe due virtually the same thing (as described above by 3TA)...

The X-Pipe, however, has been proven to do a better job of flow (depending on the craftmanship of the cut/opening/bend, etc). When we do older/classic cars...we always use an H-Pipe to keep it "period" in appearance. Later model cars, or true performance cars get X-Pipe.

Note: X-Pipes will give a different tone to the exhaust (not necessarily "higher".... but different) the actual (tone) of the exhaust sound is created by:
1) the type of engine/horsepower you're putting through it
2) the type of muffler chosen (if you choose one that creates sounds with baffles, etc. or a straight through design like the Magnaflow that lets you hear the true engine sound)
and
3) the size of the tubing/restrictions

Also...like Smokie said above...just adding an X-pipe with no other modification is like throwing marshmallows at a brick wall...won't do much to affect it (good or bad).

I hope this helps

mercmatt
11-27-2005, 09:52 AM
thanks. looks like im just gonna have to get the whole kit. im thinking about going with the dr cobra. headers, high flow cats, x pipe. i already have aftmkt mufflers. that should do the trick. thanks again

MarauderMarc
11-27-2005, 10:03 AM
Good luck on your exhaust...Im getting ready to install my Kooks system. Nothing like an exhaust overhaul huh?

mercmatt
11-27-2005, 11:17 AM
ya i know but at least you can drive your car all year. mine sits in a garage for four months.

merc6
11-27-2005, 12:42 PM
what about just headers and mufflers if headers aren't ungawdly loud?