PDA

View Full Version : Drag racing the Marauder this weekend

Lidio
04-02-2003, 07:47 PM
For anyone who might be interested, I will be drag racing the Trilogy owned development Marauder this weekend in Reynolds Georgia for a NMRA race. I will be running the car in the Mod-motor class. I’m hoping to run slightly better then I did in Florida a few weeks ago because of the heat and humidity we had out there. The weather in Reynolds is calling for a littler bit cooler and less humid than I had in Florida.

Just to give an update…. I ran 13.42’s with the car at Bradenton Florida at 102mph. This was all achieved with the Marauder being completely stock every where other than the inter-cooled blower package that Trilogy has developed making 9psi in Florida, where as here in Michigan a few weeks ago in the 20 degree air it made around 10ish.

The sixty foots in FL where any where from 1.9’s to 2.4’s. The more I brake-torqued the car the more it wanted to spin the tires. My best ET’s and sixty foot’s where achieved with just a light brake-torque (1100rpm) and then press the gas pedal quickly to the floor, not slam it to the floor. I experimented with tire pressures ranging from 23psi to 35 in the stock rear tires and got no where so I left them at 26 any way. I firmly believe that if I had a drag radial and could have brake-torqued it to about 1500 to 1700 rpm and hit as hard as I could, I think I would have brought home 13.10 to 13.20’s time slips! On a couple of passes it spun the tires about 100-150 feet out and produce mid to high 14 second runs… still quite a bit better ET then stock. I’m confident that on a cool Michigan day and perfect traction this cars current set up should produce 13.00’s.

I’d also like to note that at the end of the ¼ mile the rpms in 3d gear were only at about 4600rpm! This is not optimal for a drag racer when the engine shifts at 6000 ish. We would usually like to see a trap rpm of about 6000+ on this type of set up. This would probablly produce about a 2-3 tenth increase in ET but traction would become a much more serious problem with out a tire upgrade. This is why I’m suggesting leaving the 3.55’s in the rear for now if the Trilogy blower is in your Marauder’s future. Also the stock torque converter stall speed is perfect for the blower application. Once again a change here would only produce greater traction problems and if loosened up to much can cause a drivability concern around town when locking and unlocking.

I also wanted to mention that on the way home from Florida we were forced to drive the Marauder about 600 miles due to a trailer axle failure on a friends race car hauler, so we put all his stuff in my trailer and simply drove the Merc… this is how we learned that the car would get over 24 MPG on the high way. We did not drive the car down to FL because of it being a development car.
For those who have asked about how it drives under normal, non full throttle conditions all I can say is that you don’t even know what’s been done till you step into it.
I really hate giving that car back to Jerry at Trilogy:) I’ve taken a serious personal interest in this car while doing all my calibration work. I am going to try to own one this summer. I love big cars and I’ve driving a ’99 SuperDuty, Crewcab, Diesel, Dualley every day for five years this past March and am ready for some thing new. The Marauder is actually a smaller ride to me so it’s very fitting to take the place of the SuperDuty as a daily ride.

Thanks

JerseyVics
04-02-2003, 07:53 PM
Best of Luck!

Hope to see some pictures of the event!

--Russ

CRUZTAKER
04-02-2003, 08:08 PM
Nice input :up: err "output"

beemer
04-02-2003, 08:31 PM
Lidio:

Thanks for the info. Lots of folks here myself included will be following your progress. Let us know how you do in GA.

Best,

Paul:D

MI2QWK4U
04-02-2003, 09:02 PM
Lidio....are you going to mention the test drive on I-94? Guys at work couldn't believe it!!! I am still smiling ear to ear....

TAF
04-03-2003, 05:24 AM
Man, Lidio...

You picked a BAD weekend to do this only an hour from me. I'm unfortunately booked with things.

I would have loved to come see your machine.

Lidio
04-03-2003, 05:31 AM
Well I didn’t want to because of how irresponsible it might look on my behalf but here goes any way.
In an attempt to see if the speed limiter update to my software worked for the Marauder I didn’t have the time to go back to the dyno so I simply took it for a “road test”. I happened to be with good company..... both MI2QWK4U and another local officer with a Marauder. They were both curios to see if it worked. So I felt rather protected for a lack of better words.
Any way to get right to it, we got the speedo to read just under 135mph!! And it was still pulling very,very hard. I think it was on its way to a top speed of over 155. That was all I had in me to go up to. This was in 4th gear too. The car did start to move around a little and I was told that the drive-shaft might start to whip over 120 so I backed off. I'll post more when I'm back from Georgia.

Thanks

:bandit:

TAF
04-03-2003, 05:43 AM
I would say a driveshaft upgrade would be a MUST for that car. I along with others here have already done it in anticipation of further mods.

Macon Marauder
04-03-2003, 06:10 AM
Oh man! That's about 30 minutes away from me.

I'm pretty booked up this weekend, too.

Will the S/C Marauder be there all weekend? Just Sat? Just Sun?

More info - PLEASE!

Menace
04-03-2003, 10:34 AM
Lidio, can you tell me if the Rienhart chip and plugs will work with the supercharger or does the car need to be completly stock? Thanks.

BODYMAN
04-03-2003, 11:01 AM
Lidio,
Great work. It looks as if you guys have a very good handle on things. I myself have a kb Marauder-S., and looking at youre dyno sheet it appears that the roots style is making power all the way thru. The vortech from what I have found it does not start making the real power to atleast 4000rpms leaving me with a flat car off the line until I the rpms get up there. from looking at one of the 60ft times you posted it looks to be not so bad out of the hole. Thanks for all the Info. Are you going to offer a brake upgrade for it to? After driving mine I cannot imagine this car with out upgraded brakes.

Todd

cutt
04-07-2003, 09:33 AM
i met lidio at reynolds and saw the MM make several low 13 sec runs.car seems impressive and the blower kit seems straight forward.i'm interested.there also was one there a MM there on nitrous that ran in the low 13s.

RF Overlord
04-07-2003, 10:00 AM
Lidio:

As others have said, thanks for the update...!

You mentioned leaving the stock torque converter and gears in the car...this is encouraging as I'm in the final stages of deciding whether to do the 4.10s and/or Stallion TC...I may hold off (again) while I add your blower into the mix...I never thought I'd be so spoilt for choice with this car...!!

Lidio
04-07-2003, 08:43 PM
I just want to give an update on the MM performance in Georgia and try to answer a couple of other questions.
First the good stuff. The car far exceeded my expectations. Without touching anything on the car at all since taking it to Florida. It ran any where from 13.23 @ 104 to 13.33et’s as soon as I got to Reynolds. Then after removing the spare tire only, the MM proceeded to click of a 13.08 @ 106 and a couple of 13.16 and 13.18s. The 60 fts were in the mid 1.9’s and a couple of 1.94’s and 1.92’s. I can only account the dramatic increase in performance as being the 70 degree temps instead of high 80’s in Florida and the traction was considerably better at Reynolds. The MM hardly spun the tires at all, even on pretty high rpm brake-torque’s. I now believe that if I can get this car out to a Michigan track in the next couple of weeks while the temps stay below 60 degrees… I feel the car will produce an easy 12.80 to 12.90 ET with good traction.

This car from what I’ve seen so far is only a rear gear, smaller pulley on blower and
a 2 ¼” exhaust and mufflers from running mid to low 12’s with good traction. I say only 2 ¼” exhaust because the MM’s stock exhaust is about 95% 2” in diameter not 2 ¼” like other performance cars from Ford. I don’t believe bigger is always better when it comes to exhaust like the rest of the aftermarket industry. Smaller exhaust promotes better low end torque and throttle response and the MM’s not so torquey big breathing 4-valve will probably feel mushy with a 2 ½” full system… even with the roots type blower some loss in snap will be noticed off idle and under heavy load in OD with the converter locked. I’m going to try on this MM eventually a custom 2 ¼ X-pipe with two HI-Flow cats and Flow-master 3-chamber mufflers. This system on 4.6L 2-valve GT’s produces a OEM type roar but slightly louder, and does not murder all the low end torque of the little V-8’s yet still makes a gain in hp in the upper RPM’s
By smaller pulley on the blower I mean a 3.0” - 3.2” instead of the 3.5” that’s on it now which makes about 9-10 psi of boost. I’m confident that a 3.0” will make about 13 psi of boost and be safe with 93 octane. I also want to mention that at this point the MM has had now about 30 drag strip runs on it and countless, countless abuse on the street by myself and the folks at Trilogy and many others, plus lots of chassis dyno time as well. And is showing no sign’s of problems any where.

Menace… at this time when the kit is available for sale we will recommend using the included chip which will of course consist of our tuning to accommodate the addition of the blower. If a particular car has a different gear, we’re going to try to accommodate this as my data base fills with more of these cars with different combo’s. I will tell you that like my self, there other tuners out there that will probably want to buy this kit and use there own methods and tuning knowledge to take care of their own car's and clientele’s chip tuning needs. I’m not opposed of this as I do this all the time with other blower kits on the market.

RF… I only say for now to leave the other mods alone on a MM if you plan on a roots type blower because you will only induce greater traction problems if you do not intend to go to a stickier/larger back tire on the street. Looser converters, bigger rear gears are all great. We do them all the time on automatic Mustangs that have no blower or a centrifugal type blower which does not come on as hard and as instantly as a roots type. So traction isn’t as much of a problem.

Thanks

Menace
04-09-2003, 04:48 AM
Thanks Lidio, how do I get my name on the list or make an appointment to have one installed? How many days will the install take? I plan on driving over from Mass. and need to put in for the vacation time. Let me know. I'm ready!

Lidio
04-09-2003, 06:13 PM
If anyone has started a list it would be Jerry at Trilogy. I’m hoping that by June the kit will be ready for sale. As far as how long it will take to install… I’m estimating about 15-20 hours from the time we start till the final test drive.

Thanks