PDA

View Full Version : real quick header question

mercmatt
12-07-2005, 01:01 PM
will the stock 2 cats work with headers from reinhart or will there have to be some mod. cuz i see that his system has four cats.

AzMarauder
12-07-2005, 03:25 PM
will the stock 2 cats work with headers from reinhart or will there have to be some mod. cuz i see that his system has four cats.

If you are talking about the Kooks headers... I can't say for sure....

If you are talking about the Cobra Exhaust setup... that comes in two pieces... Cobra manifolds... and a catted X-pipe. Neither part by itself is compatible with the OEM MM exhaust. The Cobra manifolds have different flanges than the OEM H-pipe... so to use the manifolds you have to use the X-pipe that comes with them. Obviously the same applies to the X-pipe... it won't bolt to the OEM MM manifolds. Finally... the X-pipe is longer than the MM H-pipe... thus you have to cut off some of the OEM "catback" and use some reducers that come with the Reinhart kit.

SergntMac
12-08-2005, 03:42 AM
will the stock 2 cats work with headers from reinhart or will there have to be some mod. cuz i see that his system has four cats.Ummm...Not sure what you're asking.

The stock OEM exhaust system has 4 cats, an H pipe, and 2.25" OD pipe going into OEM mufflers.

The Cobra kit and Kook's headers have two high flow cats and X pipe with 2.50" pipe, your choice of mufflers.

Ditto StainlessWorks, but add 3" OD pipe.

mercmatt
12-08-2005, 05:41 AM
i thought the stock exhaust had 2 cats. but what i was asking was i wanted to buy just the headers and x pipe and keep the stock cats(to reduce price). i already have aftmkt mufflers too

merc6
12-08-2005, 05:47 AM
yeah I wanted the headers but w/o the x pipe cause everyone keeps saying you loose the low rumble.

AzMarauder
12-08-2005, 07:51 AM
yeah I wanted the headers but w/o the x pipe cause everyone keeps saying you loose the low rumble.

When both of you use the term "headers" what are you refering to? Kooks? Shorties? or the Cobra Manifolds that are sold by Reinhart?

Frankly, I don't think the Cobra Manifolds by themselves are going to add enough HP to make the cost or effort even worth it. Especially if you are N/A. As I said above the Cobra Manifolds will not bolt directly to the OEM H-Pipe. The real headers would require a custom H or X pipe. Whether the cats on the factory H-pipe are in the way of the headers (Kooks are long tube) I don't know. Someone else will have to chime in.

As for low rumble... I did the Reinhart Cobra setup... with X-pipe... and it is louder at idle etc. than the OEM. It has a different "note" to it... but I like it fine. I wouldn't say I lost the rumble.. just a different sound.. and louder at that.

CRUZTAKER
12-08-2005, 08:18 AM
Short answer to a long pipe...NO.

AzMarauder
12-08-2005, 08:30 AM
Short answer to a long pipe...NO.

Barry !

HA.. I'm in Killeen, Texas on a business trip.... got an ICE STORM last night. I am having flashbacks to my trip back in January. :eek:

Everything covered in ice this morning.... :down:

I want to go back to Arizona ! :cry:

Dennis Reinhart
12-08-2005, 08:41 AM

If you are talking about the Cobra manifolds, the stock exhaust will not bolt up to them, or the Kooks kit as well.

CRUZTAKER
12-08-2005, 09:32 AM
Barry !

HA.. I'm in Killeen, Texas .....Everything covered in ice this morning.... :down:

Kevin...you MUST be mistaken. Per Logan, it doesn't snow in Texas.:P

AzMarauder
12-08-2005, 09:39 AM
Kevin...you MUST be mistaken. Per Logan, it doesn't snow in Texas.:P

I don't know anything about snow (tho it did snow last year in the NW corner of Texas when I was struggling through) but today it is ALL ice today.