PDA

View Full Version : Engine compartment cleaning help

hitchhiker
12-12-2005, 08:55 PM
I am seeking advice on cleaning the engine compartment of my 2004 MM.

Any experiences and tips would be very much appreciated.

I have a great servicing dealer. Should I just have them do it?

Thanks and Best Regards,

David

:D

Rider90
12-12-2005, 08:56 PM
a cool engine, diluted simple green, and a toliet scrub brush (preferrably new) let soak for 15 minutes, rinse and repeat if desired :D

jabird56
12-12-2005, 08:59 PM
a cool engine, diluted simple green, and a toliet scrub brush (preferrably new) let soak for 15 minutes, rinse and repeat if desired :D

What he said; however, I use Simple Green full strength in a bottle that pumps it out in a foam.

GordonB
12-12-2005, 09:07 PM
Hitchhiker/David,
The answer to your question depends on what you are comfortable doing yourself. The answer will vary. Can't go wrong with most advice here.

I have 2 MMs. I clean them myself. Like others have said, use Simple Green, either full-strength, or cut 50-50 with water. I use the 50-50 mix just for the engine parts to get ride of oil and grease dirt. The perimeter of the engine bay I wash with my standard car wash (body wash). One thing I do when I'm done is use my air compressor and a blowgun attachment to blow dry the engine and everything under the hood.

Give it a try if you are in warm weather!!! It's freezing here, but I washed both cars over the weekend (NOT the engine compartments).

GordonB

Mike Poore
12-13-2005, 05:18 AM
I'm gonna get flames for this, but have been using the same method for years with great results. At the car wash, before I got my pressure washer, and now using the pressure washer at home. Simple Green, full strength, let it soak, then blast it with the pressure washer. :D

fastblackmerc
12-13-2005, 05:53 AM
Simple Green, Purple stuff or a citrus-based aerosol cleaner, compressed air to get the water out of all the small spaces, then I use a spray that gets everything nice and shiney.

merc6
12-13-2005, 06:03 AM
greased lightning works as well but will remove laels if you don't wana remove them ;) I also use pressure washer but on the spot free rinse settint.

Cleaning engines on speed channel. Just said no steam cleaning.

cyclone03
12-13-2005, 07:07 AM
I too use Simple Green 100%.
Now the secrete,don't tell ok.
After the wash DON'T DRY! Spray everything under the hood with Armor-All,close the hood and start the car,now wash the outside of the car as normal.Don't worry about the stream coming out of the hood.
After about 20-30mins shut off the car then get out an old towel/rag and wipe off the excess.
WA-LAA...

Personaly I HATE the Castrol Purple stuff or what ever they call it.
I also dislike the citrus stuff too,they both seem to stain the bare aluminum under the hood.

SergntMac
12-13-2005, 08:50 AM
Hitch...You'll probably enjoy your Marauder more, if you save your coin and spend an afternoon with it. It's not hard, or, yucky, it's as much fun as washing the car. No special talent required.

Personaly I HATE the Castrol Purple stuff or what ever they call it. I also dislike the citrus stuff too,they both seem to stain the bare aluminum under the hood. Indeed.

Thanks for the reminder, Lance...I cannot say this loud enough, DO NOT use the Castrol Purple stuff on any part of the Marauder, anywhere. It's very caustic, and will eat through aluminum, powdercoat, and ceramic (Jet-Hot) coatings. Ask me how I know?

I used Orange Blast the first few times I cleaned under the hood, but if you keep up on things, a grease/oil solvent isn't really necessary. Warm water, cap full of Dawn, and wash it down with mitts retired from contact with painted surfaces. Rinse with the garden hose, and blow dry with a leaf blower. Spotless every time. Armor-All to taste, but I like the clean, dry look.

Almost everything under the hood is waterproof, it's not like the old days. But, IMHO, high pressure blasts can find, or, create a leak. I use the high pressure only for the undercarriage, never inside the engine bay. Also, keep an eye on your wiring harness where "tape" is used to seal connections. This tape will eventually need updating, and it's sold everywhere automotive these days.

Proudcop
12-13-2005, 09:26 AM
Ive always had a car detail shop steam clean the engine. Im always worried water will work its way into something!

Mike Poore
12-13-2005, 11:15 AM
One more thing. Maguiar's has some new high gloss spray tire stuff that does a great job, after you're done cleaning, and it's dry. Also, use a little caution when using the pressure washer (common sense, really) about the nozzle you use, and the direction (angle) towards stickers & such. :)

cyclone03
12-13-2005, 01:09 PM
One more thing. Maguiar's has some new high gloss spray tire stuff that does a great job, after you're done cleaning, and it's dry. Also, use a little caution when using the pressure washer (common sense, really) about the nozzle you use, and the direction (angle) towards stickers & such. :)

OH Yea,thats my Super Secret,spray tire dressing seems to stay longer.
I've done the engine then drove a few hundred miles to a show and wiped it down and it looks great.

MMM2003
12-13-2005, 01:34 PM
I am seeking advice on cleaning the engine compartment of my 2004 MM.

Any experiences and tips would be very much appreciated.

I have a great servicing dealer. Should I just have them do it?

Thanks and Best Regards,

David

:D

Check this thread for info. It's a bit dated, but I know several guys here are using this method stated there.
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2622&highlight=windex

Good luck,

Peter

Dragcity
12-13-2005, 01:48 PM
Thanks for all the great tips.. I have been a bad boy and not thoroughly cleaned my engine. It shows too...

I guess I found something to do as soon as it gets over 40 degrees.

Eric91Z
12-13-2005, 02:01 PM
Thanks for this thread. When I bought my car in September with 5600 miles on it, the motor was SPOTLESS. Then again, the car was a year old with only that many miles. Pretty sure it had never been in snow or rain before.

Needless to say, I drive it daily, including the "lovely" winter weather we have been having. Got the car washed and opened the hood for the first time in a couple of weeks. DIRTY!!!! Really sucks because it looked so good. The JLT CAI is even looking dirty. Wiped some of the easily accessable parts down, but will get a complete washing in the spring when it gets more ZAINO!!!

Petrograde
12-13-2005, 02:56 PM
What he said; however, I use Simple Green full strength in a bottle that pumps it out in a foam.

Easy with the Simple Green y'all ! We used to use it on Army Helicopters, until we realized that it was causing really bad corrosion problems.

The key is making sure you get ALL the residue off.

I use it once in while, at least half-diluted.

In case you dont know,... When Aluminum corrodes it turns white. A white powdery scale will develop after awhile. Watch out!

jimlam56
12-13-2005, 04:52 PM
Thanks for all the great tips.. I have been a bad boy and not thoroughly cleaned my engine. It shows too...

I guess I found something to do as soon as it gets over 40 degrees.

Where you live, that will be July! :D

cyclone03
12-14-2005, 11:37 AM
Easy with the Simple Green y'all ! We used to use it on Army Helicopters, until we realized that it was causing really bad corrosion problems.

In case you dont know,... When Aluminum corrodes it turns white. A white powdery scale will develop after awhile. Watch out!

Very true,The Air Force does not allow it to be used on Aircraft.
Rinse well.

Mike Poore
12-14-2005, 11:53 AM

Good point, Tom. There's another reason for thoroughly rinsing with the pressure washer, along with the follow-up magic tire spray stuff from Meguiar's. :D

Dragcity
12-14-2005, 12:22 PM
Where you live, that will be July! :D

So true....

Nah, We always get at least one day in January that his 55 or higher. It's 10 now though.

Rob1559
12-14-2005, 06:12 PM
What if Armor All gets on the belt?

cyclone03
12-15-2005, 09:08 AM
What if Armor All gets on the belt?

Seems to make it shinny.
I never blast the belt but I will admit I hose down the engine pretty good.

The tensioner seems to do a good job of,er,tensioning.

SID210SA
12-15-2005, 12:04 PM
I used to detail cars and as long as you dont use high pressure you'll be alright....I usually rinse mine about once every couple of weeks to a month depending on if I go out of town or not...then I take a Maguiers wipe and hand wipe only the things I want to shine....I don't worry about drying...I drive a few miles before I get home form the wash....then I wipe as needed..got some nice little detailing brushes from Advanced Auto Parts...works good for little crevaces...but I never wash my own car...I have it done at a hand wash only place and they even get down and clean the dual's and the inside of my rims....but the same person does it every time for me so she knows what I like:coolman:

whoskal
12-15-2005, 10:26 PM
IMHO NO matter what you like to use the key is a little "elbow grease"
its only going to look as good as you make it