PDA

View Full Version : Buzzing subwoofer?

JBcarnut
04-04-2003, 10:47 PM
Hi MM fans, I was out for a spin tonight, showing a friend the car. Tried an organ cd which I knew would be a good test of the bass. On one piece the subwoofer was really buzzing intermittently! Sounded awful! When we got back I left the cd playing and leaned in the trunk to see what was going on. Everything seemed tight. I think it was the plastic housing of the subwoofer itself that was vibrating. Anybody else have this problem? Thanks for your help.

DLoreanMARAUDER
04-04-2003, 11:18 PM
I experience this sometimes with music with lots of bass or when i play music very loud. 1 interesting thing i found is that the sound get much clearer, Louder, seat pounding bass and the buzzing stops when i select "REAR SEATS" after pushing DSP on the radio. it still plays music up front but focuses the bass to the rear and makes the rear louder and overall quality much nicer. anybody else experience this. in case your not clear on what im saying, when you push DPS on the radio and the use the select arrows it gives you 3 options, "DRIVER SEAT", "ALL SEATS", and "REAR SEATS". try it out see what happens. im curious as to why it sounds better? but it does:)

aaronwilmington
04-05-2003, 05:46 AM
I have experienced the same problems. I have my car scheduled for a new rear left speaker to be replaced next week.

Mark McQuaide
04-05-2003, 07:53 AM
Last weekend I pulled out the sub/amp unit to check things out, since I have the same vibration problem at high volumes. Got rid of the foam piece that sits on the sub cone while I was at it.

What I found, and I wouldn't be surprised if this was true for a lot of others with the sub problem, was that the buzzing comes from the metal bracket where it attaches to the package shelf. The sub/amp unit itself is well damped but this bracket has metal-to-metal contact to the underside of the package shelf.

I couldn't tell how the bracket is attached to the shelf without pulling the rear seat and the package shelf cover, which was more than I wanted to do, plus I didn't have a socket to fit the rear seat belt anchors (why is the Marauder metric? I was surprised to see this). It may just be riveted on there.

If anyone can shed some light on this it would be great.

martyo
04-05-2003, 09:17 AM
The folks that have had this sort of problem have used dynamat with good success.

jpatricktaylor
04-05-2003, 09:35 AM
I just took mine in for service yesterday - the dealer fixed the buzz, said it was a pinched wire??

TAF
04-05-2003, 10:47 AM
When I had my speakers installed, I spent $80 on a huge roll of Dyno-mat and had them cover the entire rear deck lid AND down the metal that is behind the backseat. The metal there is REALLY thin, especially in the middle.

This works.

jgc61sr2002
04-05-2003, 10:50 AM
Mark - Almost all cars built today use metric fasteners. ( Nuts and bolts) John

BUDJIM
04-07-2003, 06:45 AM
I noticed the exact same problem with my MM, I brought it the service department and fixed it by "installing a ground wire", the rattling is gone and it sounds great at all levels.

Blue Marauder
04-12-2003, 05:56 PM
I found another cause and cure for the buzzing subwoofer.

My wife complained that the sub was rattling real bad on one of her CDs (latest Santana CD, track #7). I checked all of the things that had been mentioned on this forum and everything looked OK, so I was stumped.

However, as I was cleaning the interior of the car today, I discovered that the two rear window sail panels (the plastic panels on either side of the rear window and package shelf) were loose! I pulled them out slightly and found that the one on the driver's side was not attached at all at the top (there are two plastic guides and clips that push into the sheet metal) and the one on the passenger's side was only attached by one clip.

I had to bend the clips slightly to get them to line up with the holes, popped them securely in place, cranked up the tune again and voila! No buzz or rattle.

So you might want to add this to the list of fixes for the subwoofer problem.