PDA

View Full Version : Overdrive Problems

aaronwilmington
04-05-2003, 08:48 AM
Last week my OD light came on twice within 5 miles. I called the dealer and they stated it was okay to drive. On the way home that night, 50 miles later, I heard a loud clunk twice and the OD light came on again and stayed on. The car would not pickup speed.

The next day, I was told that a temp sensor was reading 340 degrees on a cold start. The valve body had to be repaired and some wiring in the transmission. (the valve body was overhauled and not replaced by the dealer).

In addition to this warranty repair, I have had my windshield wiper blades replaced, the left front lens covers replaced due to moisture; (there is another set on order, same problem), a new seat cover is on order, spot on the leather at delivery; the left rear speaker as mentioned earlier; and the back glass is going to be replaced; there are streaks in between the panes.

To add insult to injury, I expressed to the saleman how unhappy I am with all these problems. He offered me $6000 less than initial purchase price and stated he had picked up a used one for $23,500. I asked him what had happened to the praise and the great value the car would be worth he was singing just two weeks ago. I bought this car on Feb 8th, 2003.

I have called Ford Consumer and filed my complaints, but I am being told the problems do not justify a regional rep at this point.

Wanting to know if anyone has had similar problems.

sailsmen
04-05-2003, 10:01 AM
I have 3k miles and only problems have been;
1) trans hard to find reverse from drive, understand this was a linkage adjustment issue on the early builds - Dealer says nothing wrong
2) passenger side front seat cover/map pocket came unclipped from seat frame - Dealer fixed
3) driver seat squeak, loose tracks? - dealer fixed
4) auto climate control does not always respond to temp adjustments, just keeps existing temp setting - Dealer says nothing wrong.

The first nite I had it it was pitch black and raining. I turned onto a street and heard a large pop. Assumed a flat and drove the 3 blocks home at less than 10 mph to put on spare. Tire shop next day told me,"... hole all the way thru the wheel, looks like a bullet went thru it...". They also said the inside of the side wall was damaged and recommended a new tire. I took their advice.

The street I turned on is 1 block from a gun range. I speculate someone was putting their gun in the trunk dropped it and it went off. I showed it to the Gun range and they had no reports of any wayward discharges. They looked at the wheel and said it looked like it could have been from a bullet.

A client has a specialty machine shop and made an aluminum threaded plug for the hole and repaired it. Saved me $500. It does loose 2 pounds a week though.

RF Overlord
04-05-2003, 10:25 AM
aaron:

WOW! :eek: You seem to have had your share of issues...I guess I'm lucky, no problems at all (8000 miles since 9/11/02) except the sub-woofer buzz/rattle...the dealer made it better, but it's still not 100%...I'll fix the rest myself when it bothers me enough...

Good luck, dude...

Mark McQuaide
04-05-2003, 10:35 AM
I haven't seen any of the problems you mention, mine have thankfully all been minor. Dealer stinks, though. I get the feeling they see their service customers as nothing more than cattle being run through a chute.

You in Wilmington, DE by any chance?

aaronwilmington
04-05-2003, 10:36 AM
I am in Wilmington NC.

TAF
04-05-2003, 10:42 AM
aaron,

As long as the car is under warranty...take it back, tell them it's not fixed and you want it fixed. You create enough "stink" they'll do anything to get you out of there happy. Don't take "nothing wrong with it" as an answer if you feel there is something wrong.

They love for folks to roll-over and leave when they have a difficult fix/diagnosis.

jefferson-mo
04-07-2003, 01:01 PM
Or just go to another dealer....I realize if you live in a small town it might not be practical but may be worth it......and it doesn't have to be a Mercury dealer it can be any Ford dealer.

jgc61sr2002
04-07-2003, 01:20 PM
Definately take it back to the dealer. John:(

engine23ccvfd
04-07-2003, 01:38 PM
Picked mine up last week. I have three issues.

1. Pass headlight assembly has moisture they ordered part Thursday and it came in today
2. Slight pull to RT (air pressure OK)
3. Buffed out some scratches
4. The drive to reverse problem others have had. Dealer said they know how to fix this.

I am waiting till early next week to take in hopefully I will have a complete list by then and wont see the shop until oil change time.

Stay Safe

Andy

CRUZTAKER
04-09-2003, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by aaronwilmington
.....and the back glass is going to be replaced; there are streaks in between the panes.

WOW I thought it was just mine. I get a funny white scale on the 3 lowest heater wires in the back window. I haven't mentioned it as of yet.

As far as misc. troubles....don't give up, you aren't alone. Read the threads, you'll see.....
All of these (warranty) issues should be easily addressed by your service dept. It's still quite a fine car. As things become more automated...shat happens.

I also recently extended my warranty to 7 years :)

aaronwilmington
04-09-2003, 07:39 AM
My service department act like I'm making this stuff up. It seems like the speakers problems are all over the board, wind shield wiper blades, I have seen another overdrive problem.

I am thinking of selling my vehicle. Any buyers out there?

CRUZTAKER
04-09-2003, 07:42 AM
Don't do it.....have a drink, I am......

Whereabouts are you, you haven't mentioned?
Keep it vague if you like

Macon Marauder
04-09-2003, 07:49 AM
Just make them make it right. Don't give up!

And CRUZTAKER, he previously posted he was in Wilmingotn NC, BTW. :)

aaronwilmington
04-09-2003, 07:53 AM
Wilmington, NC. Today my car is in the shop for the following repairs.

front lens cover (second time - moisture)

seat cover - spot on leather

left rear speaker vibrates - (new one to be installed)

rear wind shield - spots in between the pane (new one to be installed).

After the overdrive problem was fixed, two days later while the car was idling, the exhaust fumes were so strong I had to put the windows down. I have experienced this on two other occasions.

The dealer stated there was a ceramic honey comb filter and if the car had 10,000 miles doing this he would be concerned.

Anyway this is suppose to be checked out today as well.

RF Overlord
04-09-2003, 08:09 AM
My service department act like I'm making this stuff up.

I am thinking of selling my vehicle. Any buyers out there?

aaron, buddy:

Someone posted, and I believe it's true, you can take your car to ANY Ford or L/M dealer for warranty service...if your dealer's service department is staffed by rat-bags who won't listen to you, try another dealer...but don't give up on the car yet!!!!

jefferson-mo
04-09-2003, 08:11 AM
Hey Aaron are you sure the smell is not your A/C? I've noticed when I switch the A/C off to vent it smells actually like battery acid...

Ceramic honeycomb filter?????? WTF is that?

By the way I work at the dealer(in parts):banana2:

aaronwilmington
04-09-2003, 08:12 AM
Where I live, the FORD dealership is just as bad. The next location is at least 50 miles away.

aaronwilmington
04-09-2003, 08:19 AM
I have no clue about the filter. No this was exhaust fumes. If my AC had a battery acid smell, it would be in the shop for that as well.

I have a four year old son that rides in my car, and I don't want to be stuck in traffic with these fumes..... by the way, you may have quessed but Aaron is a dudette.

mtnh
04-09-2003, 09:01 AM
Honeycomb filter == catalytic converters in the exhaust system

Aaron is a dudette? What th.... Aaron is a guy's name, normally. So Aaron is a tranny?

Usually, the OD light has a word called "off" associated with it. Is this the light that is coming on? Are you by any chance pressing the button on the shifter to make this happen (inadvertantly?)

Issues....

Good luck,
Mike

aaronwilmington
04-09-2003, 09:03 AM
No I'm not pressing the off button, the car was disengaging itself from overdrive. Like I stated there was repairs done to the transmission for this problem.

Do you think only guys can drive this car???

RF Overlord
04-09-2003, 09:11 AM

Including you now, I know of at least 6 members of the female persuasion on this board... :D

MAD-3R
04-09-2003, 10:16 AM
RF's Wife is the driver of the "BlackBird." :) And my wife loves the thing. It's the lucky guy who's wife"get's it." Or in my case "Got it FOR me"

martyo
04-10-2003, 02:54 AM

Hey Aaron all persuasions are welcome here. Heck we even let RF hang around with us.....

More important, if you are female and single let me know. We can hang out and talk about the car and stuff ;) .

TAF
04-10-2003, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by martyo
More important, if you are female and single let me know. We can hang out and talk about the car and stuff ;) .

Now THAT'S a first here, Marty...other than some of those "strange" and "complimentary" PMs that RF said he got from his new gas grill picture....:lol:

martyo
04-10-2003, 03:16 AM
Hey Todd are you trying to muscle in on my action??? You married guys are all jealous of us single guys.....

TAF
04-10-2003, 03:18 AM
Hey Todd are you trying to muscle in on my action??? You married guys are all jealous of us single guys.....

Jealous??!!....Naw...

Maybe a little more subtle?.....Yeah :lol: :lol:

martyo
04-10-2003, 03:20 AM
C'mon Todd, how often are "subtle" and your name used in the same sentence?

TAF
04-10-2003, 03:55 AM
C'mon Todd, how often are "subtle" and your name used in the same sentence?

Good point, Counselor....:D

Macon Marauder
04-10-2003, 05:28 AM
Easy guys: she's married.

martyo
04-10-2003, 05:35 AM
That's why I said if she is "single"!

MAD-3R
04-10-2003, 06:30 AM
And I hope we didn't scare her away. Animals...

martyo
04-10-2003, 06:32 AM
She drives an MM, I doubt she scares easily!

frdwrnch
04-17-2003, 06:20 PM
Maybe the "honey comb filter" is the catalytic converter in the exhaust as its structure does resemble a honeycomb. As for the exhaust smell, you are probably smelling sulphur which is a normal by product of combustion and can vary from pump to pump. This also could be worse cold because of a richer mixture at cold operation.
As for your dealer, insist on quality and don't give in. Calling the 1 800 number for ford motor company customer service will generate a report and possibly expedite your situation but before you put on the dogs ask your service manager for help.
These are great cars but as with anything mechanical , they are subject to malfunction, Get it like you want it and make good use of the vertical pedal on the right, and it should bring back a grin!