PDA

View Full Version : Inner Wheel Cleaning

Dragcity
12-21-2005, 10:48 AM
Any ideas as to what I can use to clean the inner (un-clearcoated) section of my wheels. I have my winter steelies on and my forged rims are in the basement awaiting my attention.

Two years of road grime on them needs to come off, safely.

Thanks

Eric91Z
12-21-2005, 10:59 AM
I was advised in another thread to use a Simple Gree and water mixture to clean that inside of the wheels. Was also advised to then clay bar the wheels and put a coat or 2 of polish in there, too.

I washed mine up pretty good when I took them off. I will Simple Green them, clay bar, and put polish on this spring when I get them out of the basement to put back on. Hoping that will make them a little easier to clean when they are on the car. Nice thing with the wheels is the space between the spokes is large enough to get your hand in there and wipe them down whne you wash the car.

SergntMac
12-21-2005, 12:15 PM
You can make it less of a chore by using brake cleaner, then follow up with a good wax job.

Rider90
12-21-2005, 01:14 PM
You can make it less of a chore by using brake cleaner, then follow up with a good wax job.
I'd be very careful. Transfer it from a rag.

jdando
12-21-2005, 01:20 PM
Warm water and dish/carwash soap. Use with a tire brush or towel. Then a little windex. I have not used Zaino, maybe in the spring.

jeremy

Dragcity
12-21-2005, 01:27 PM
I just want to be sure to not booger up the clear-coat on the polished side.

Everybody is talking about Zaino. Is it that good?

Eric91Z
12-21-2005, 01:31 PM
I just want to be sure to not booger up the clear-coat on the polished side.

Everybody is talking about Zaino. Is it that good?

Each person will have their own personal opinion. I, personally, really like the Zaino products and have never used any other since trying them. They give me the best shine, with the least effort and residue of any Wax/Polish I have used before. And I have a friend that is a distributor, so I support his business.

I think this is their website (they seemed to have changed it):

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

Lots of good information there on their products, what kind of towels to use, etc.

RoyLPita
12-21-2005, 01:39 PM
One of my SSM members (and good friend) uses the Simple Green that is like 4 to 5 parts watered down. It worked wonders on the insides of my MM rims.

fastblackmerc
12-21-2005, 01:39 PM
I was advised in another thread to use a Simple Gree and water mixture to clean that inside of the wheels. Was also advised to then clay bar the wheels and put a coat or 2 of polish in there, too.

I washed mine up pretty good when I took them off. I will Simple Green them, clay bar, and put polish on this spring when I get them out of the basement to put back on. Hoping that will make them a little easier to clean when they are on the car. Nice thing with the wheels is the space between the spokes is large enough to get your hand in there and wipe them down whne you wash the car.
I do this at least twice a year or everytime I take off the wheels.

Cobra25
12-21-2005, 03:05 PM
I always use a brush about 2 -2 1/2 inchs thick with the handle about 15 inches long I got from the super market, fit's nicely between the front rotors and the rim, I Use Simple Green , 3 or 4 parts water to 1 part simple green, spray the simple green on the rims , brush it a little and then hose it off. No water sports, Works great.

MENINBLK
12-21-2005, 03:05 PM
Any ideas as to what I can use to clean the inner (un-clearcoated) section of my wheels. I have my winter steelies on and my forged rims are in the basement awaiting my attention.

Two years of road grime on them needs to come off, safely.

Thanks

Your entire wheel is clear coated.
Even the INSIDE of the wheel, where the tire mounts,
is clear coated.