PDA

View Full Version : Poor AC Performance

drobin
09-09-2002, 01:13 PM
Now I understand that I live in a hot, humid climate here in Louisiana, but I'm not happy with the cooling ability of my 2003 MM. On recirculate or max cool, the best tempature obtained is around 49 to 50 degrees. What's up with that, and has anyone else experienced these conditions. I know there could be a multiple reasons for this, but I need some input from club since I dread taking it to a dealer. Help!:confused:

Fourth Horseman
09-09-2002, 01:16 PM
Can't say that's been a problem for me. Mine damn near freezes me out of the car. Might want to have it looked at by your dealer.

Black Terror
09-09-2002, 01:22 PM
Haven't seen a problem with my A/C here in Atlanta, hot but not as muggy as LA. In fact, A/C cools faster than my 2000 Buick Park Avenue.

Logan
09-09-2002, 01:24 PM
I haven't had any problems either and I'm in Dallas... :)

drobin
09-09-2002, 01:25 PM
I forgot to mention that in addition to a cooling problem, I'm also smelling an order coming from AC, after vehicle sets up overnight. Could be our high humidity causing mold growth . Am I the only one with these AC problems?

tetsu
09-09-2002, 02:21 PM
Mine has no strange smell. After it gets pumping my wife will turn off her vents at which point it starts to freeze me due to the extra air pressure that I then receive.

Johnny

MarauderMike
09-09-2002, 06:47 PM
I'm in the majority, my a/c works great! I believe this to be one of the best a/c systems I've had since they converted over to the R134A refrigerant. I'd have you dealer check it out.

drobin
09-09-2002, 08:11 PM
Hey guys guess what I discovered when I started diagnosing my AC problems, I broke out the old trusty "Snap On leak detector" and found a small leak coming from the evaporator core. Leak showed positive at the air outlets and at the rubber hose from the evaporator case to blower motor. My luck, now the car comes apart-Part 1.

Has anyone installed locking wheel lug nuts????????

:( :(

Wags
09-10-2002, 04:16 AM
drobin,

I had a rubber like smell coming from mine for the first 1000 miles or so. It also did not cool as well as I thought it should. The dealer said that they did not find anything wrong with it. It cleared itself of the problem by 1500 miles. It really does blow cold now, and no more smell. I don't know what the problem was, but it is gone now.

Wags

03 Merc
09-10-2002, 05:27 AM
drobin,

I have had any problems with my AC here in Atlanta..I can easily get it cold enough for my wife tostart complaining. I haven't had a odor issue yet either...a few years of this pollen will start that up I am sure..

I have not been able to locate locking wheel nuts yet.... my salesman told me Saturday that someone stole a set of wheels off a Marauder on their back lot so I am looking...I'll let you know if I find a source.

KazMan
09-10-2002, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by 03 Merc
drobin,

I have not been able to locate locking wheel nuts yet.... my salesman told me Saturday that someone stole a set of wheels off a Marauder on their back lot so I am looking...I'll let you know if I find a source.

Try McGard for Locking Lug Nuts Link to McGard (http://www.mcgard.com/default2.asp)

Smokie
09-27-2002, 07:53 PM
I live on the west central coast of Florida so I believe it would be as hot and humid as your town. I'm going to assume that you tooked your temperature reading after driving long enough to allow A/C to cool down car. 50 degrees is too high even on a hot humid day. Does your A/C produce a steady drip of water from evaporator drain tube ? Is your suction line very cold and sweaty all the way back to compressor ? If answer is yes, I dont think you have a problem with the sealed system, It could be the valve that mixes outside air is stuck partially open, they usually are vacuum operated and not hard to replace. If the answer to my first 2 questions is no, then you do have an A/C problem. Either way is in warranty. BTW your temp. reading at the vent should be between 38 and 42 degrees not 50. You paid good money for the car have the dealer make it right.

james_hart6
09-28-2002, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by drobin

Has anyone installed locking wheel lug nuts????????

:( :(

Drobin,

This was posted by Merc 03 recently on lug nuts -

>>The PN is F2LY-IA043-A. I paid about $35.00 for them including taxes... The registration card goes to McGard and ordering a second key is $10.00 sent in with the card....<<

HTH

Jim

drobin
09-29-2002, 06:54 PM
Smokie, thanks for the response; sorry but I just checked it today 9/29/02 and that's not like me not to monitor the forum..... I thought I had a minute leak at the evaporator but my leak detector was screwed up. I did super tune the system and add approx 6 oz of 134. I also insulated suction line from evaporator and I'm down to 45-46 degrees after vehicle cools off. Still not entirely happy, but I'm going to check the air mix valve you spoke of. Will keep all posted. Thanks for the help........... Oh, by the way, the suction line had a great sweat down to compressor before I performed the above.

Smokie
09-30-2002, 12:10 PM
drobin, If you have a good cold sweaty suction line to compressor and the drip tube for evaporator puts out a steady amount of water dripping, I am about certain that you don't need more freon (by careful, overcharging can also cause problems) I'm going to ask what may seem like dumb questions but is only way to be sure.
1--Did you install dark tint ? It makes a huge difference during daylight.
2--Does your A/C get really cold at night ? How cold ?
3--What setting do you use ? Auto--set to 60 degrees or Max A/C set also to 60 degrees. Is there any temp. difference between the two ?
4--How sure are you your thermometer is accurate? Is it a digital or the pocket clip-on ? Those can be calibrated depending on their range with a glass full of ice just enough water, 32 degrees or with boiling water about 210 degrees. I hope this helps.