PDA

View Full Version : Kooks system w/ out sound?

Marauder2005
12-27-2005, 05:26 PM
Well I think Im going to bite the bullet and buy the Kookes headers,

and X-pipe with high flow cats. However I do not want to much rumble,

I was going to keep my stock mufflers. Has anyone done this combo? I figured

would keep the noise down a little, I got some resonator delete tips as well

laying around figured I would throw them on as well, but just keep stock

mufflers , hoping for a little quiet preformence.:) Anyone who has done

this please chime in, any opinions are welcome.

Best, mike

jimlam56
12-27-2005, 05:33 PM
I'm interested in this combo too.
I am not looking for a louder exhaust note as much as I am better performance. (N/A)
I drive my Marauder on the highway more than anything, so I don't want "drone".
I think if I were to get res delete tips I will weld flanges similar to what others have done on this forum, so I can switch back and forth if necessary.
Jim

SergntMac
12-27-2005, 06:12 PM
Well I think Im going to bite the bullet and buy the Kookes headers, and X-pipe with high flow cats. However I do not want to much rumble, I was going to keep my stock mufflers. Has anyone done this combo? I figured would keep the noise down a little, I got some resonator delete tips as well laying around figured I would throw them on as well, but just keep stock mufflers, hoping for a little quiet preformence. Anyone who has done this please chime in, any opinions are welcome.

I'm interested in this combo too. I am not looking for a louder exhaust note as much as I am better performance. (N/A) I drive my Marauder on the highway more than anything, so I don't want "drone".
I think if I were to get res delete tips I will weld flanges similar to what others have done on this forum, so I can switch back and forth if necessary Both of you are going about this all wrong.

You're about to handicap the Kook's system and rob yourself of it's full performance gains. Moreover, your decision on the delete tips is all wrong too, if what you want is keep things on the quiet side.

Why not consider the less expensive DR/Cobra exhaust kit from Reinhart for the OEM exhaust systems? This kit will give you every bit of performance gains that your present personal designs call for, and stay on the quiet side. You'll save about half of your initial investment through parts and labor, and you can sell your resonator delete tips here in our classified section.

Before you two flame back, remember that I'm at 504 RWHP/475 RWTQ, on DR's Cobra exhaust kit, and it cost me 900 bucks, Zack did the install with my help in under 2 hours, while the car was strapped to a dyno. 'Nuff said.

Just my .02C, carry on, gents.

Rick-n-Miami
12-27-2005, 06:20 PM
If silence is what you're looking for, Kooks is not the way to go. The performance gains of a complete Kooks setup and 2.5" pipes and res-delete tips is AWESOME, but the noise is quite aggressive.

If you want a little better flow and not the noise, the DR Cobra exhaust kit might be the way to go. Another option is to keep your stock manifolds and simply have an exhaust shop make a more free flowing cat-back system for you.

LVMarauder
12-27-2005, 06:22 PM
I would defeintly stay away from res delete tips if you want quiet. Those things add alot of bass and volume to your rumble.

Marauder2005
12-27-2005, 06:30 PM
Both of you are going about this all wrong.

You're about to handicap the Kook's system and rob yourself of it's full performance gains. Moreover, your decision on the delete tips is all wrong too, if what you want is keep things on the quiet side.

Why not consider the less expensive DR/Cobra exhaust kit from Reinhart for the OEM exhaust systems? This kit will give you every bit of performance gains that your present personal designs call for, and stay on the quiet side. You'll save about half of your initial investment through parts and labor, and you can sell your resonator delete tips here in our classified section.

Before you two flame back, remember that I'm at 504 RWHP/475 RWTQ, on DR's Cobra exhaust kit, and it cost me 900 bucks, Zack did the install with my help in under 2 hours, while the car was strapped to a dyno. 'Nuff said.

Thanks for your veiw, no flaming here :) Like I said all opinions welcome.

Power is what I wan't so stock mufflers are gonna have to go then. Just

thought they would not make much of a difference if they stayed. There

was a post from "Smokie" with his full kooks system and video clip, can't

find it now. Thanks for the input!

DEFYANT
12-27-2005, 11:42 PM
I am very happy with my Kooks headers, cats x-pipe, ford duel mode mufflers and delete tips. It is loud when I want and quiet when it needs to be.

If I need it to get quieter, I'd put the res tips back on.

I suggest you hook up with other owners and listen to the choices.

jimlam56
12-28-2005, 04:17 AM
Both of you are going about this all wrong.

No flames here either. Was just looking for thoughts on this setup, and appreciate the response.

BUCKWHEAT
12-28-2005, 05:40 AM
Don't do the Kooks, do the Dennis coated Cobra's. I have had both. First was the cobra's with Flowmaster 50 three chamber mufflers and stock tips. Slightly louder than stock, no drone, nice sound when you hit it and better quarter mile times & seat-of-the-pants feel. Also installed them myself, & I'm and old man.

Then I went to Kooks with straight through magnaflows, which I have now. Love the sound & the performance, but it's Loud and it Drones. A definite trade-off. Didn't install these myself.

Good luck.

Dennis Reinhart
12-28-2005, 06:13 AM
Well I think Im going to bite the bullet and buy the Kookes headers,

and X-pipe with high flow cats. However I do not want to much rumble,

I was going to keep my stock mufflers. Has anyone done this combo? I figured

would keep the noise down a little, I got some resonator delete tips as well

laying around figured I would throw them on as well, but just keep stock

mufflers , hoping for a little quiet preformence.:) Anyone who has done

this please chime in, any opinions are welcome.

Best, mike

This is exactly what I did on my car I think it sounds grat

TAF
12-28-2005, 07:14 AM
There

was a post from "Smokie" with his full kooks system and video clip, can't

find it now. Thanks for the input!

Nope...Javier has the Ford Racing shorty headers, a "proper" x-pipe & 18" Magnaflows on his car....and it sounds/performs GREAT!

How do I know? The entire system came off my car...and 'cause Smokie is a dear friend of mine...he got the best deal EVER for an upgraded exhaust on any Marauder.

As to your initial question...I think you need to decide what it is (exactly) you're trying to accomplish before making this move.

Eric91Z
12-28-2005, 08:05 AM
I think, from what I have read as I have not done any exhaust upgrades yet, that all at performance would be the Kooks headers and x-pipe, Ford racing mufflers and stock tips if you do not want loud. And if you do the resonator delete tips, then install them an inch or so further out than the stock ones to help with resonance.

I think when the time comes I will go with the custom Kook's setup that Lidio has recommended with the stock tips instead of resonator delete one. I want the flow and power, but don't need all the sound. More than stock would be nice, but not unbearable. Maybe pony up for the Ford mufflers, too.

Glenn
12-28-2005, 02:34 PM
Performance has been generally mentioned in the previous posts, but no specific 1/4 mile times stated for a certain E/S. Let's stay with 1/4 mile performance versus Street performance which should be closely related. My $.02 is that the Kook's are hands-down the best peformance E/S (especially for S/C cars) that should give you the best ET, IF combined with other suspension and power mods. But, my experience has shown that you can have your cake and eat it too with the following set-up for performance and reasonable sound (louder then stock with no drone): FRC shorty Cobra ceramic (go with coated) coated headers coupled with the Magaflow Cobra hi-flow X-pipe w/2 CATS (part #93335) connected to the OEM (yes, OEM) mufflers and stock tips. The X-pipe must be cut and lenghtened 4". (Todd at Grand Mufflers in N. Atlanta did a great job on my MM.) The stock mufflers are very good and had alot of engineering in them as per Steve Babcock, MM Project Manager.

But, now back to specific performance results - 287 RWHP & 306 RWTQ, with good sound particularly at WOT, no drone and 13.98 ET (poor 2.051 - 60' time) with a hardly experienced driver. Car is a potential 13.7/8 runner with a good driver. Not many N/A Kook's set-ups are posting these numbers. Also, this system is significantly cheaper then a full Kook's system.

Another alternative that I have posted before on the net.

Glenn :burnout:

Dennis Reinhart
12-28-2005, 03:09 PM
Well Glenn I was the person that designed and came up with this setup, Todd bought one of my first sets. I agree that the kooks are a awesome setup it is also labor intensive, the reason why I no longer sell the older short headers system, is the Motorsport headers do not match the exhaust port openings on the head of the Marauder. http://web.iwebcenters.com/reinhartautomotive/images/session/00-00-1135808575-DSC00162.jpg

They were made for non tumble port heads, they actually will restrict the flow, if you have a set on a car and remove them you can actually see the carbon imprint around the headers mounting flange. http://web.iwebcenters.com/reinhartautomotive/images/session/00-00-1135808209-DSC00161.jpg

Also you have to shim the drivers motor mount to clear the dog bone steering shaft, and you have to extend the EGR tube, this is why I came up with the ceramic coated Manifolds these match the head perfectly and set up with the magnaflow X pipe they have shown substantial power gains on the dyno as well as a improved exhaust sound. So its to each his own.

DEFYANT
12-28-2005, 03:30 PM
If ultimate quite with increased performance was the goal, my exhaust would look like this:

DR / Cobra manifolds w/ high flow cats and x-pipe coupled to the stock cat back.

My .02

jawz101
12-28-2005, 09:22 PM
It seems like if you get 3/4 of a full Kook's exhaust you might as well get the magnaflows to show off :)

I'm trying to figure out a similar setup but I haven't found comments on the differences I would see between upgrading just the headers versus the DR Cobra exhaust kit. What makes sense to get for around $1000?

I'm also curious to ask what the difference betw. the 6801CV and 6801 products are. The descriptions & prices are the same, but I guess I'll have to ask Kook's about that one.

SILVERMARAUDER
12-29-2005, 12:00 AM
I am thinking of doing up-grade exaust on my MM also but now after looking thru this thread i am totally undecided was thinking Kooks but now? I have a full bassani stainless set up on my 1993 supercharged lightning and love the quality of that system and sound it makes has side exit duals. A system like that for my MM would suit me not "side exit" in case anyone thinks i have lost it just the same quality ie: fit and finish any thoughts?

TripleTransAm
12-29-2005, 12:07 AM
If ultimate quite with increased performance was the goal, my exhaust would look like this:

DR / Cobra manifolds w/ high flow cats and x-pipe coupled to the stock cat back.

My .02

Can I twist that question around?

Like: what would one choose to do if performance was not a requirement but a deeper low frequency rumble was desired? In other words, I'm satisfied with the oomph, just would like a little more in-your-chest rumble. Drone is a no-no, with kids in the back seat practically at all times.

MarauderMarc
12-29-2005, 12:58 AM
Really, if you splurge for the Kooks, then get the Dual mode mufflers. No drone, but are as wicked as a magnaflow when at WOT. Ive heard the setup personally.

rayjay
12-29-2005, 08:10 AM

My .02

Bingo! :up:

Eric91Z
12-29-2005, 08:23 AM
I think like others have said, get a ride in a couple cars with different setups. Choices around here are a little more limited for catching rides. But I am planning a trip over to see Lidio this spring/early summer for a gear install and am hoping for rides in some local members car with different setups and definitely want a ride in a supercharged one. Then again, also planning to visit Trilogy when I am out there, too.

DEFYANT
12-29-2005, 08:37 AM
Really, if you splurge for the Kooks, then get the Dual mode mufflers. No drone, but are as wicked as a magnaflow when at WOT. Ive heard the setup personally.

^^^What he said^^^

That is the set up I went with since I have two kids that ride in the back. I had the Mgflows from Kooks. They sound great and provide the most HP.

But the drone was too much.

So I plugged in the Ford DM mufflers and all is good. It took alil while for them to "break in", and when they are cold, they are alil droney, but after a few miles things smooth out nicely.

There is a little cabin noise at around 2k. It comes and goes quickly. It's probably caused by the res delete tips.

No big deal really.

SergntMac
12-29-2005, 10:22 AM
Can I twist that question around?

Like: what would one choose to do if performance was not a requirement but a deeper low frequency rumble was desired? In other words, I'm satisfied with the oomph, just would like a little more in-your-chest rumble. Drone is a no-no, with kids in the back seat practically at all times. Well, you're only going to get so low in tone because it's cubic inch dependent. However, pick a straight through muffler like the Ravin Z55 and resonator delete tips, and you have a good start. Just make sure you extend the tips outboard past the fender cover 1.5 to 2.0"

merc6
12-29-2005, 11:15 AM
So...the question i haven't heard anyone ask was is any of these combos likely to fail a state emmitions test for db? Even being a VA resident with 2 cars not registered in VA I still got blue lighted in the 6 multiple times by fairfax for it being loud. All I had was Bosal axle back and maybe the AEM Cai 1 time. My current or in a few days is gonna be stock everthing with MF's. I also plan on doing firther exhaus mods and seek multiple opinons as well. :)

rayjay
12-29-2005, 11:31 AM
So...the question i haven't heard anyone ask was is any of these combos likely to fail a state emmitions test for db? Even being a VA resident with 2 cars not registered in VA I still got blue lighted in the 6 multiple times by fairfax for it being loud. All I had was Bosal axle back and maybe the AEM Cai 1 time. My current or in a few days is gonna be stock everthing with MF's. I also plan on doing firther exhaus mods and seek multiple opinons as well. :)

Don't know about VA, but NYS law is no mods, period. There is a real push on here reference so called sport exhausts. My DR Cobra exhaust was installed by my local dealer who said they'll pass it as long as it doesn't throw any codes. Most people have no clue what the car is, no less what belongs attached to the heads. That was what swayed me to the DR exhaust, before the install. Looks factory to the untrained eye. "Yea, I had the stock exhaust manifolds ceramic coated for looks" :D

Dennis Reinhart
12-29-2005, 11:53 AM
So...the question i haven't heard anyone ask was is any of these combos likely to fail a state emissions test for db? Even being a VA resident with 2 cars not registered in VA I still got blue lighted in the 6 multiple times by fairfax for it being loud. All I had was Bosal axle back and maybe the AEM Cai 1 time. My current or in a few days is gonna be stock everthing with MF's. I also plan on doing firther exhaus mods and seek multiple opinons as well. :)

That is a good question and the answer is there is no reason why the car will not pas the snif test, but in CA they also do a visual inspection as well, some States clearly say you cannot remove a four catalyst system period even though you are installing twin high flow cats, also with SCT we turn off the rear 02's which only monitor the old rear cat efficiency, now with the latest emission testing like in NY they actually throw a scanner on the car and if you have tuning in the car it will not allow a full scan, the only thing you can do is return the car to stock go through the emission's testing and then put the tune back it after you are done.

Marauder2005
12-29-2005, 05:06 PM
This is exactly what I did on my car I think it sounds grat

Well that made me feel better, if the best in the buisness has done this.

Thanks for all the posts, I have learned alot. Its good to know theres

combos/choices to choose from (Kooks/Dennis setup etc.) I personally

will not be buying anything till spring, but more time to test/learn new things.

Again, thank you.

Vortech347
12-30-2005, 09:33 PM

My .02

When the time comes this is the route I'm going to take. My car IS my business so I need to keep things nice inside.

William B
01-14-2006, 02:00 PM
By the way...I wanted to install Kooks as well...nobody will do it beacase it won't pass smog in Ca. I did put deltas on...very nice sound..not too loud.
In fact....Trilogy said...after I paid them...the SC I installed..will not pass smog either.....oh well. not sure what to do about that, except take both marauders down to get smogged at the same time and do a switch-r-roo on the test. Oh...wait..thats illeagal!!!

Any suggestions?

Hotrauder
01-14-2006, 08:54 PM
DR installed the Ceramic Coated Cobra headers, Magnaflow X pipe and high flow cats into my Flomaster 40's. I found it more intrusive than I wanted at highway speeds (80 or so) and installed stock mufflers into the stock tips and BINGO. Good power, good sound and stealth at speeds. It is a good match with the Trilogy for me. Anyone who wants to drive my car who can wait until it comes out of the body shop is more than welcome to give it a whirl. Jim? Dennis:D