PDA

View Full Version : Tire Experience - Not Normal?

jonroe
12-31-2005, 05:44 PM
Folks,

Ever since I got my MM over a year ago I've been reading lots of tire threads here and most of them not good with the most common problems being rear tires wearing quickly in the center and front tires wearing out on the edges due to bad alignments.

I thought I would report my experience here. I guess I'm unusual and probably lucky. I have just a shade under 20K miles now with nearly every mile since new driven by me. My stock tires are in great shape. The fronts don't show ANY unusual edge wear or any unusual wear at all. They really still look new. The rears do not look new but they look pretty good. They appear to me to be about half worn with no unusual patterns. The centers still look fine and you can see all the small sipe marks still on the center tread. I run stock pressure of 35lbs all the time and check them often. I don't baby the car though and take lots of fairly high speed corners. I don't smoke the rears.

Is my experience that unusual? I don't get it? Right now i wouldn't touch the alignment - tires are wearing well and the steering is excellent. When I go for an alignment, what specs do I use, Ford or Carfixer's?

Thanks. Just thought I would report a data point for you all.

Happy New Year tonight.

Jon

jstevens
12-31-2005, 05:46 PM
If you do go in for an alignment, then I would use the spec's listed on this sight. There are some that have not had the front end edge wear but I would consider them lucky.

If you rears are wearing normal then you need to start doing more brake torque's. Just kidding.

Thats why mine never last more than one summer.

ctrcbob
12-31-2005, 06:56 PM
The same as Jon,

I put on 14000 miles since I purchased mine. Dealer put on new fronts when I took delivery. The rears may or may not have been new at that time. They all still look great. I used to use about 40lbs but I now use 35lbs.

merc6
12-31-2005, 07:03 PM
Dealership replaced them at 31K all around before sale. Anyone here with superb wear do the road force balance i keep hearing about? Who do I go to for this or does every shop offer this

dok
12-31-2005, 08:12 PM
I got 34,000 on the fronts and 38,000 on the rears. I run 32 psi. Have yet to have an alignment.

Kennyrauder
12-31-2005, 10:48 PM
I am running winters now but my tire store wants me to run at 30psi come spring change over. They say inner tread wear is caused by over inflation. Happy New Year from kennyrauder

JMan
01-01-2006, 06:49 AM
If your tire wear is right, don't let anyone change the alignment, period. Every car and every technician and every alignment machine is different. Your car is set up just right from the last alignment or the factory and there's no reason to mess with it. If they are wearing perfectly well, then let it be. . . . Leave well enough alone!

J

SergntMac
01-01-2006, 08:13 AM
I am running winters now but my tire store wants me to run at 30psi come spring change over. They say inner tread wear is caused by over inflation. Happy New Year from kennyrauder Take their advice, and you'll be another valued customer returning in the fall

Skiordie53
01-01-2006, 08:51 AM
I got 34k on the stock rears and had 37k on the stock fronts when i took them off for the winter. Still on factory alignment, even though i drive our wonderful NYC Roads daily

jonroe
01-01-2006, 04:04 PM
If your tire wear is right, don't let anyone change the alignment, period. Every car and every technician and every alignment machine is different. Your car is set up just right from the last alignment or the factory and there's no reason to mess with it. If they are wearing perfectly well, then let it be. . . . Leave well enough alone!

J

You got it Jman! Nobody is touching this alignment anytime soon. It really is right. I'm also very careful to avoid every possible pothole so as not to unnecessarily screw it up.

Jon

merc6
01-01-2006, 04:09 PM
but with the BFG's I have the tire vibrations. road force is done by who? After swapping to snow tires there was no more vibration.

Marauderjack
01-02-2006, 04:40 AM
I have NEVER had an alignment that made the car better than the factory did it!!:argue:

Most of the time the steering wheel is off center and they can never get it back straight!!:mad2:

Other times the car pulled one way or the other and tire wear became a bigger problem!!:bigcry:

My thinking is......If you can get 30K miles out of tires on a "Performance Car" you are doing well!! $600 for new rubber all around ain't that big of a deal??;)

Marauderjack:D :burnout:

SID210SA
01-02-2006, 06:45 AM
I currently have 20,343 miles on my MM (purchased new) and my tires look about half way thru their tread life...no abnoramal wear to this point and I also check my tire pressure regularly and check tires also for irregularities (nails..etc...) and with the San antonio roads not in the best of shape,Texas sized pot holes ( everything is bigger in Texas), bumpy road etc..and I only spin the tires on the rare occasion.