PDA

View Full Version : Time for new tires-need help deciding

ridinclean
01-01-2006, 09:46 PM
Ok my rear tires are now slicks and I cant keep putting this off so Im about ready to purchase new tires all around. My fronts arent all the way worn out but Im going to go ahead and replace all 4. Im either going with the OEM's or the KDW2's. I live in Florida so snow is not a factor with me, however we do see a good bit of rain in jacksonville. Ive heard that the OEM's tend to perform a bit better than the 2's in wet conditions. How much would the 255s in the rear throw off my speedo? The KDW2's are more expensive, but I do like the look of them and would kinda like to try a different tire. Im right under 19k miles now and I do plan on adding a blower very soon. So Im up for opinions here...for any members who have the 2's do you like them better than the oem tires? Also would it be best to buy from a place like tirerack or my local lincoln mercury dealer? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Skiordie53
01-01-2006, 09:55 PM
I have the kdw2's on the rear they preform great in all weatehr except snow

Cobra25
01-02-2006, 06:13 AM
I installed the KDW2's on mine a while back. They ride better & smother than the KDWS's do & they grip better on dry ground. On wet ground I feel that the KDWS are a little better than the KDW2's but others have said different.The KDWS have a little thicker tread but the KDW2's are a little wider. If you like smoking your tires the KDWS smoke easyier than the KDW2's . At least that's what I feel.

ckadiddle
01-02-2006, 07:57 AM
I have found the KDW2s to be about the same as the KDWS style. Both will break loose easily if you don't drive gently on wet pavement. To quote spiderman's uncle Ben, "With great power comes great responsibility."

looking97233
01-02-2006, 10:56 AM
I am looking at trying something different when I need new tires this comming spring. Toyo Proxes ST. It is their Sport Truck line so they should be built pretty tough. They make 255/45/18 for the front and 255/50/18 for the rear. I don't know how they will wear but I was quoted under $500 for all four mounted and ballanced, so they aren't terribly expensive and will put a little more tread on the ground while keeping the stock tire diameter.

Any thought from y'all?
Rod.

67435animal
01-02-2006, 02:46 PM
Ok my rear tires are now slicks and I cant keep putting this off so Im about ready to purchase new tires all around. My fronts arent all the way worn out but Im going to go ahead and replace all 4. Im either going with the OEM's or the KDW2's. I live in Florida so snow is not a factor with me, however we do see a good bit of rain in jacksonville. Ive heard that the OEM's tend to perform a bit better than the 2's in wet conditions. How much would the 255s in the rear throw off my speedo? The KDW2's are more expensive, but I do like the look of them and would kinda like to try a different tire. Im right under 19k miles now and I do plan on adding a blower very soon. So Im up for opinions here...for any members who have the 2's do you like them better than the oem tires? Also would it be best to buy from a place like tirerack or my local lincoln mercury dealer? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I replaced the stock tires with KDW2s on the back. They handle great but they are noisier than the stock KDWS tires. I still have a few more miles left on the stock tires on the front but when the time comes, I will replace them with the KDW2s as well.

Bob

jabird56
01-02-2006, 07:00 PM
KDW2s all around,..love em. They are definitely NOT a snow tire but in Florida, I don't think you need to worry too much.... My opinion is that the KDW2s seem to stick to the pavement a little bit better than the KDWSs.

ckadiddle
01-02-2006, 09:32 PM
I am looking at trying something different when I need new tires this comming spring. Toyo Proxes ST. It is their Sport Truck line so they should be built pretty tough. They make 255/45/18 for the front and 255/50/18 for the rear. I don't know how they will wear but I was quoted under $500 for all four mounted and ballanced, so they aren't terribly expensive and will put a little more tread on the ground while keeping the stock tire diameter.

Any thought from y'all?
Rod.
I used to run Toyo tires on our comapny vehicles about fifteen years ago when we had our own business. We had full size Chevy caprice classic station wagons and a van. The Toyos did well on wet pavement and were treadwear warranted for more miles. That got us a little more time between tire purchases. The price was competetive. Let us know how the Proxes do for you if you buy them. Only thing I can think of is that if they are designed for truck use, they may be a little noiser and ride a little stiffer than other tires. Thats just a guess, no real basis in reality. ;)