PDA

View Full Version : 18X9.5 Rims

South Hills
01-02-2006, 08:49 PM
Hello Lidio:

Wanted to see if you are continuing to widen the stock rims from 8" to 9.5". It's time to replace the original skins and I'd like to go with the Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S.

The sizes I'm looking at are the P285/40 ZR18TL 100W for the backend and the P245/40 ZR18TL 93W upfront.

Will using the stock fronts and widened stock rears with the above tires work for the MM? Will any adjustments be needed to your tune? Also, please let me know the lead time and cost of having two new wheels widened to 9.5".

Thanks in advance,

Phil

Lidio
01-02-2006, 09:26 PM
Hello Lidio:

Wanted to see if you are continuing to widen the stock rims from 8" to 9.5". It's time to replace the original skins and I'd like to go with the Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S.

The sizes I'm looking at are the P285/40 ZR18TL 100W for the backend and the P245/40 ZR18TL 93W upfront.

Will using the stock fronts and widened stock rears with the above tires work for the MM? Will any adjustments be needed to your tune? Also, please let me know the lead time and cost of having two new wheels widened to 9.5".

Thanks in advance,

Phil

We are still doing the wheel widening for the MM's and if you need new wheels for this, we were able to lower the cost of the new wheels a few bucks just a few days ago on the original "pinned" post I did for the wheel widening service.

On your application, I'm not at all a big fan of going any lower profile with the tires on a MM for both the front and the rear. The Pirelli tire sizes you've choosing are over 1.5" shorter then stock MM tires for the front and the rear. You are obviously free to do what ever you want but I think the MM's over all size and body lines don't lend them selves to any lower profile tires or lowering of the car in general very much from stock as well. Plus even though your widening the tire size from stock with the 285's in the rear... you've still sacrificed a lot of circumference which will potentially hurt your traction or negate any gains from going up from a 245 to the 285. At least the sizes you've choosing are the same difference in diameter from front to rear as the stock sizes... so the ABS wont be upset, but with a 1.5" shorter difference in over all diameter from the stock size, the speedo will clearly read off a little and require the tune to be messed with.

The lead time has been about a week lately.

Thanks

SergntMac
01-03-2006, 05:32 AM
I have the Prielli P-Zero Directionale in 245/45-18 on the front (stock wheel) and P-Zero Assymetrico in 285/45-18 on Lidio's 9.5 wide wheel on the rear. I also have one full coil cut from the front springs, and the rear air suspension is set down to the factory defaults. The front to rear size differential is within limits, and the speedo is 1 MPH to fast, haven't bothered to correct that. Here's a peek at the results, you should be in this ballpark if you follow your plan.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/showimage.php?i=262&c=3&userid=392

Another view...

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/showimage.php?i=265&c=3&userid=392

BTW, no rubbing, no spacers required on the rear.

South Hills
01-03-2006, 08:41 PM
We are still doing the wheel widening for the MM's and if you need new wheels for this, we were able to lower the cost of the new wheels a few bucks just a few days ago on the original "pinned" post I did for the wheel widening service.

On your application, I'm not at all a big fan of going any lower profile with the tires on a MM for both the front and the rear. The Pirelli tire sizes you've choosing are over 1.5" shorter then stock MM tires for the front and the rear. You are obviously free to do what ever you want but I think the MM's over all size and body lines don't lend them selves to any lower profile tires or lowering of the car in general very much from stock as well. Plus even though your widening the tire size from stock with the 285's in the rear... you've still sacrificed a lot of circumference which will potentially hurt your traction or negate any gains from going up from a 245 to the 285. At least the sizes you've choosing are the same difference in diameter from front to rear as the stock sizes... so the ABS wont be upset, but with a 1.5" shorter difference in over all diameter from the stock size, the speedo will clearly read off a little and require the tune to be messed with.

The lead time has been about a week lately.

Thanks

Lidio:

Thank you for your quick and informative response. I do need 2 new stock wheels widened to 9.5". I will give you a call tomorrow to exchange information and the details.

Regards,

Phil

South Hills
01-03-2006, 09:11 PM
I have the Prielli P-Zero Directionale in 245/45-18 on the front (stock wheel) and P-Zero Assymetrico in 285/45-18 on Lidio's 9.5 wide wheel on the rear. I also have one full coil cut from the front springs, and the rear air suspension is set down to the factory defaults. The front to rear size differential is within limits, and the speedo is 1 MPH to fast, haven't bothered to correct that. Here's a peek at the results, you should be in this ballpark if you follow your plan.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/showimage.php?i=262&c=3&userid=392

Another view...

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/showimage.php?i=265&c=3&userid=392

BTW, no rubbing, no spacers required on the rear.

SergntMac:

I appreciate your message, the information on your Pirelli fitment, and the spring and rear-end suspension set-up; your MM is outstanding.

I am leaning toward moving ahead with the P ZERO NERO M+S™. I would like all-season ability, the Zero Nero's have received good reviews, and I'm trying to avoid summer/winter swap-outs.

Are you running this Directionale & Assymetrico set-up year-round? I see you're in the second city, so I know you are dealing with the slick stuff. Have you been pleased with the performance of these Pirrelis? Interesting theory behind this combination.

Also, do you think an aspect ratio of 40 is a bridge too far for the MM with 18"?

Thank you in advance for the advice.

Phil