PDA

View Full Version : Engine Cleaning stuff

Romo53
01-07-2006, 05:01 PM
What does everyone use to make thier engine bay sparkle? Any special ways anyone is doing this as well?:beer:

Todd
01-07-2006, 05:41 PM
What does everyone use to make thier engine bay sparkle? Any special ways anyone is doing this as well?:beer:

I use griotsgarage.com engine cleaner. It smells pretty good, is bio-degradable, and works really well. I follow their instructions for use. And use a painters style brush to brush off the more dirty areas if they need 'scrubbing'.

Romo53
01-07-2006, 05:44 PM
I use griotsgarage.com engine cleaner. It smells pretty good, is bio-degradable, and works really well. I follow their instructions for use. And use a painters style brush to brush off the more dirty areas if they need 'scrubbing'.

I heard the groit stuff is pretty good. Kind of expensive...but if it works.....

jimlam56
01-07-2006, 05:59 PM
I have had bad luck with Griots.
I bought a clay bar a while back from them, it stuck to my hands real bad.
Customer service's response was to send me a bottle of "spray on glove" stuff, didn't work.
They refused to allow me to return the clay bar. Lots of unecessary back and forth via email.
Also I bought one of their "professional" spray bottles, it leaked around the nozzle just like the cheapos.
Won't do business again with them again.
My .02...

Mike Poore
01-07-2006, 06:10 PM

Simple Green, some dilute it, I do not, applied to a slightly warm engine, followed by careful pressure wash, then Meguiar's spray tire and plastic goo after everything's mostly dry. (fairly new product)

It'll make you smile. :sunshine:

If there's any rusted (red rust) bolts & such spray 'em with the red stuff they use on the K&N air filters. It goes fizz fizz and cleans the corosion right up with a Q tip. (Doc Poore's detailing secret) Shhhh, don't tell anyone.;)

Romo53
01-07-2006, 08:56 PM
Customer service's response was to send me a bottle of "spray on glove" stuff, didn't work.
They refused to allow me to return the clay bar. Lots of unecessary back and forth via email.
Also I bought one of their "professional" spray bottles, it leaked around the nozzle just like the cheapos.
My .02...

Thanks for the warning....I do not like BS!

Romo53
01-07-2006, 08:58 PM
Simple Green, some dilute it, I do not, applied to a slightly warm engine, followed by careful pressure wash, then Meguiar's spray tire and plastic goo after everything's mostly dry. (fairly new product)

It'll make you smile. :sunshine:

If there's any rusted (red rust) bolts & such spray 'em with the red stuff they use on the K&N air filters. It goes fizz fizz and cleans the corosion right up with a Q tip. (Doc Poore's detailing secret) Shhhh, don't tell anyone.;)

Thats good info. I have some "aircraft" grade simple green that Boeing uses. For all I know, it could be the same as the regular sg. I do like the green stuff....never thought about putting it on the ole motor however. THANKS!:cool4:

CRUZTAKER
01-07-2006, 09:11 PM
Simple Green, some dilute it, I do not, ....

I love you to death man...but I had a bad experience with simple green and polished aluminum. :nono:

Keep it simple.

My method,
An entire bottle of windex on a dry cool engine in the shade using what Todd suggested. A vast array of different size and shaped heavy paint bushes.

Rinse with warm water, low pressure in sensative areas.
Cover fuse boxes. Air dry. Preferably with a high pressure air hose.

Mike Poore
01-08-2006, 04:33 AM
I love you to death man...but I had a bad experience with simple green and polished aluminum. :nono:

Keep it simple.

My method,
An entire bottle of windex on a dry cool engine in the shade using what Todd suggested. A vast array of different size and shaped heavy paint bushes.

Rinse with warm water, low pressure in sensative areas.
Cover fuse boxes. Air dry. Preferably with a high pressure air hose.

I know, from experience, the purple stuff does bad stuff to aluminum, and other industrial cleaners as well, but didn't know that about Simple Green, especially if diluted. The trick is, having the engine warm, not hot, and don't leave it on forever, then thouroughly wash it off. I think the application of the Meguiars goo is gonna put a very fine coating on everything, and protect the aluminum when you spray and wipe it on the plastic looking stuff. The real lesson here is, keep after your engine bay, just as you would, the rest of the car, and keep the nasty grunge monsters out. :sunshine:

Todd
01-08-2006, 12:12 PM
My .02...

Jim, You must have had a person on a bad day.

I have done business with them for years and years. I absolutely LOVE their car wash, boars hair wash brushes,waxes, porter cable buffer attachments, and some of their other products. I have their clay as well. It is sticky but that is the way it is supposed to be.You have to keep it wet with whatever quick detailer you are using. Same as the clay I got from Zaino recently when I got their wax 'kit'.

I have had stuff for over 2 years (glass polish). When I opened it up it had liquified to a degree instead of being a paste or cream like when new. I called and they replaced with a new one. Again, over 2 years later.

I also had a bottle of speed shine (quick detailer) break near the neck due to sun exposure. My old garage had a window and the full morning sun baked the bottle in the morning. The plastic eventually changed to a yellow color after a year or so. I called them about it and they sent me another bottle for free.

So what you said happened to you surprises me very much.

If you want to use any of their other products just to try before you buy let me know.

When you come over for a test drive in the turbo marauder you can test them out at the same time.

jimlam56
01-08-2006, 12:25 PM
Jim, You must have had a person on a bad day.

I have done business with them for years and years. I absolutely LOVE their car wash, boars hair wash brushes,waxes, porter cable buffer attachments, and some of their other products. I have their clay as well. It is sticky but that is the way it is supposed to be.You have to keep it wet with whatever quick detailer you are using. Same as the clay I got from Zaino recently when I got their wax 'kit'.

I have had stuff for over 2 years (glass polish). When I opened it up it had liquified to a degree instead of being a paste or cream like when new. I called and they replaced with a new one. Again, over 2 years later.

I also had a bottle of speed shine (quick detailer) break near the neck due to sun exposure. My old garage had a window and the full morning sun baked the bottle in the morning. The plastic eventually changed to a yellow color after a year or so. I called them about it and they sent me another bottle for free.

So what you said happened to you surprises me very much.

If you want to use any of their other products just to try before you buy let me know.

When you come over for a test drive in the turbo marauder you can test them out at the same time.
Maybe so Todd. I've used clay bars from other companies, and know it's sticky stuff, but the Griot's was ridiculous, and this was using their speed shine in large amounts. I literally had to use mineral spirits to clean my hands, and even sent them a digital of my yellow hands, but they refused to refund. I still have it in my locker, I'll bring it with me when I see you next. I just ordered a bunch of stuff from Zaino's, so I'm looking forward to trying it out.