PDA

View Full Version : Time to revist J-Mod and shift kits :)

juno
01-10-2006, 02:03 PM
I have read through all the old posts on our trannies. Since I am at least 1-2 years behind all of you on buying my MM, I get the benefit of "miles on Mods". :)

Who has done a J-Mod and how are things working out?

Transgo or other shift Kit?

Full tranny overhaul?

TIA

SergntMac
01-10-2006, 02:14 PM
Back in 2003, "J" himself rebuilt my tranny (Zack's too) and it's been through Hell ever since. No problems, follow Jerry's instructions to a tee and keep it cool with clean fluids (change @10-15K miles) and you won't have any problems.

juno
01-10-2006, 05:43 PM
Thanks Sarge!

Can you tell what he did for a rebuild? (Parts etc)

RF Overlord
01-11-2006, 05:02 AM
Here's a link (http://forums.modulardepot.com/showthread.php?threadid=4121&highlight=transgo) to a post by the "J" of J-Mod fame, Jerry Wroblewski, explaining why you shouldn't use Transgo shift kits in the 4R70W.

Scroll down about half way to the reply by "SCT Guy"...that's Jerry...

SergntMac
01-11-2006, 06:09 AM
What Jerry found wrong with my tranny (OD burned out) and Zack's tranny (also OD burned out) after our road trip to MV-I in Texas (from Chicago) became Dennis Reinhart's Stage II tranny upgrade kit through Art Carr.

juno
01-11-2006, 06:19 AM
Here's a link (http://forums.modulardepot.com/showthread.php?threadid=4121&highlight=transgo) to a post by the "J" of J-Mod fame, Jerry Wroblewski, explaining why you shouldn't use Transgo shift kits in the 4R70W.

Scroll down about half way to the reply by "SCT Guy"...that's Jerry...

Nice link -Thanks!

vegasmarauder
01-14-2006, 06:03 AM
Have the J-mod in all three MM's. The highest mileage is 67K on a completely stock 300A that had it done at 10K on the original tranny. Still barks the tires on the 1-2 shift and OD on/off is still crisp (fluid/filter changes at 30K mile intervals). On the nephews' 98 CVPI he has 86K (no typo) on a stock rebuild with the J-mod and stock Ford internals (he's lax on his fluid/filter changes too). With a few minor engine mods he barks the tires on the 1-2 and the 2-3 shifts. Also have done it to a few other stock CVPI's and most of those are now pushing 50-60k on original transmissions. I think this is the best mod for the time and money you can make to any stock or modded MM.