PDA

View Full Version : Baer Brakes Installed

DEFYANT
01-15-2006, 07:33 PM
I finally got around to putting the new Baer brakes on the MM this weekend. What a PITA this was. (Cheesehead)Bob, had I known, I would have went the route you went.

Dont get me wrong, the worst part was gettin down low to do the job. No lift/rack in my garage! I painted the rear calipers black for a cleaner look. Aside from having to remove some front wheel weights, all went well. I did not romp on the car yet, but I can already feel the difference.

Baer advised me to drive the car easy - normal (well, maybe not my normal. hehe) for the first 300-500 miles, then do the pad / rotor bedding and seasoning.

Tuesday the car goes in to get the front wheels re-balanced with weights that will not interfear with the calipers.

As soon as I get around to getting some pics, I put'em up.

Tallboy
01-15-2006, 07:44 PM
I finally got around to putting the new Baer brakes on the MM this weekend. What a PITA this was. (Cheesehead)Bob, had I known, I would have went the route you went.

Dont get me wrong, the worst part was gettin down low to do the job. No lift/rack in my garage! I painted the rear calipers black for a cleaner look. Aside from having to remove some front wheel weights, all went well. I did not romp on the car yet, but I can already feel the difference.

Baer advised me to drive the car easy - normal (well, maybe not my normal. hehe) for the first 300-500 miles, then do the pad / rotor bedding and seasoning.

Tuesday the car goes in to get the front wheels re-balanced with weights that will not interfear with the calipers.

To my knowledge, there are no wheel weights available that will clear the calipers. The wheels must be "static" balanced with weights on the inside of the rim only. Find a reputable shop with a Hunter 9700, and they should be able to hook you up.

I tried using "low profile" tape weights. I hammered 'em flat. Crushed 'em in a vise. Wouldn't clear the caliper. You'll have no vibration if the wheels are correctly balanced.

If you find wheel weights that will actually clear the caliper, please let me know where to get them!

MI2QWK4U
01-15-2006, 07:59 PM
I havent opened the box yet, so... You painted the rear calipers black, do the new front calipers come painted black already?

Zack
01-15-2006, 08:22 PM
Discount tire has wheel weights that clear.

DEFYANT
01-15-2006, 08:25 PM
To my knowledge, there are no wheel weights available that will clear the calipers. The wheels must be "static" balanced with weights on the inside of the rim only. Find a reputable shop with a Hunter 9700, and they should be able to hook you up.

I tried using "low profile" tape weights. I hammered 'em flat. Crushed 'em in a vise. Wouldn't clear the caliper. You'll have no vibration if the wheels are correctly balanced.

If you find wheel weights that will actually clear the caliper, please let me know where to get them!

Well, it looks like I have my work cut out for me. I will check with CheeseheadBob. He had his system put on by a local performace shop that has the latest equipment. Thanks for the heads up on this!!

Dave, I left the front calipers black or stock as they come from Baer. I may send them out in the future to be powder coated with a few other items I have on my "to-do" list.

DEFYANT
01-15-2006, 08:35 PM
Discount tire has wheel weights that clear.

They do not have any stores in the N/E or mid atlantic. If I have to, I'll have to find out what weights I need and where, order them and stick'em on.

Cheeseheadbob
01-15-2006, 08:49 PM
I would not call the color of the front calipers black. They are more dark gray than black. The shop that did my new Baer system took it upon themselves to take my rear calipers off and remove all the road grime, primer and paint with an epoxy and then bake them so they are now a very nice compliment to the front calipers. Just my .02
do the new front calipers come painted black already?

Donny Carlson
01-15-2006, 10:36 PM

I ordered some that worked, a whole box of um. I gave my supply to the new owner of my MM. Todd has the other half set. These worked on my Baer's.

I'll root around in my receipts box and find the source.

RR|Suki
01-16-2006, 12:08 AM
same with me, the weights that were on the stock wheels when I got the car clear em...

SergntMac
01-16-2006, 03:43 AM
Congrats, Charlie, you have the best there is in stopping power, without buying new wheels.

I've got the original BareClaw kit in my #1x, polished fron calipers with red "Baer" inlays. I polished and chrome plated the rear calipers to match, it's a sweet look.

No problems with wheel weights, I'm road forced balanced at all four corners. Next road trip west, Charlie, we'll get you hooked up.

Tallboy
01-16-2006, 10:36 AM
The guy I talked to at Discount Tire was no help. Does anyone have a part# or suggestion?

Zack? Donny? Help!:(

03SILVERSTREAK
02-12-2006, 07:03 PM

Did you get photos taken as Im looking in that Direction for 14 "Baer Brakes...