PDA

View Full Version : More Cobra Header Q's

KillJoy
01-17-2006, 04:54 PM
From what I have been able to gather from other posts:

I can install a Cobra Full Length Header w/ a Cobra X-Pipe w/ Cats, and then have a custom cat-back w/ high flow mufflers to the factory or resonator delete tips.

Is this correct? Or am I missing something?

KillJoy

SergntMac
01-17-2006, 05:37 PM
You're missing a lot.

Full length headers for the Marauder are available from Stainless Works.
Mid length headers for the Marauder are available from Kook's
Shorty headers for the Marauder are not in production specifically for a Marauder, but shorty headers for the '03-'04 Ford SVT Mustang Cobra (which has a 4V DOHC engine also) fit with some minor adjustments. They are available from an assortment of manfacturers. You also have Cobra manifolds available from Dennis Reinhart and these are cast iron manifolds, not headers.

After the header/manifold, you'll need exhaust pipes, and they come as a one piece construction that is 2.5" OD, with two high flow cats, and X pipe, or, in sections that slip fit and clamp into place. This has proven to be a decent combination. Hooking them up to the stock mufflers requires a reduction pipe approx. 14" long.

Replacing the OEM mufflers with an aftermarket of your choice is usually the way things go. After the mufflers, the OEM tail pipes are just fine at 2.25" OD, and the tips can be improved with a "resonator delete" Megs tip, identical in appearence, but lacking a resonator pipe inside.

Good luck with your choices.

KillJoy
01-17-2006, 06:49 PM
I am aware of the above Vendors / Choices.

So, Full Length '02 Cobra will / will not fit?

I am asking because I have a buddy that is parting his out, and can get a really good price.

KillJoy

Glenn
01-17-2006, 07:38 PM
Killjoy149:

Mac's information is very good above. I would only add that I would purchase the FRC shortly headers (ceramic coated) because I know they "fit" with minor EGR tube work. The hi-flow X-pipe is from Magaflow, but requires a 4" extension to fit the longer MM wheelbase. This is a job for a good exhaust shop. DR's system is also a very good alternative.

I am very pleased with my set-up as I have stated on the board several times in exhaust threads. It is not the best power producer, Kooks is, particularly with a S/C, but they are more costly and include a full kit with Magaflow mufflers. My system is hooked to the OEM mufflers. It is louder then the stock set-up, but not as loud as a Kooks system. No drone at 75 mph. Everything comes down to performance. If I had a S/C or a heavily mod MM, I would definately go with Kook's. But, these two approaches (FRC/Magaflow and DR) on a modest mod MM give you the best performance per dollar (i.e. 13.98 sec in the 1/4).

Glenn