PDA

View Full Version : SCT's new "SF" tuner

the_pack_rat
01-18-2006, 10:13 AM
Lidio,

What's the difference in these vs the Xcal 2 ?.

From what I can tell reading up on it, it appears the major(& perhaps only ?) difference is ...

You can now do data logging via the tuner itself's display screen & not just thru a windows based laptop/pc.

Any plans on offering these ?.

Thanks !.

Lidio
01-18-2006, 11:39 AM
I have not yet asked SCT the exact details about the new Xcal at all. I apologize for not being more up to speed on this one right now but I've started to get busy with a few other things and didn't make time for this new product yet. Although the existing Xcal-II is supposed to be able to be used as a data logger very soon with out the use of a lap-top. Although once you get a taste of how good the Xcal-II works as a "Pass-Through" Data logger with the "Live-Link" software from SCT... you'll never want to use it in any other way. It gives you the ability to look at a lot of sensors and parameters at one time, not just two I think if you do it from with in the units display.

Thanks

metroplex
01-20-2006, 09:04 AM
The X-Cal 2 is only capable of 90 seconds of data storage with a max of 20 PIDs for standalone datalogging.

LiveLink 2.3.4 is full of bugs and crashes more often than a Microsoft product. 2.1.8 works fine but lacks many features.

The latest X-Cal 2's being sold (revision 1.10) are falling apart right out of the box. people are using super glue and rubber bands to hold the cases together.

DEFYANT
01-20-2006, 09:26 AM
The X-Cal 2 is only capable of 90 seconds of data storage with a max of 20 PIDs for standalone datalogging.

LiveLink 2.3.4 is full of bugs and crashes more often than a Microsoft product. 2.1.8 works fine but lacks many features.

The latest X-Cal 2's being sold (revision 1.10) are falling apart right out of the box. people are using super glue and rubber bands to hold the cases together.

:eek:
No flames bud, but are you speeking from your own experiance? Or what you heard? I own the xcal2 have data logged with it using Live Link on I-95 for much longer than 90 seconds. To date, I have 22 saved successful logs of various time lengths. In all fairness, I have had 1 or 2 program crashes.

The only problem I have with the xcal2 is that it is clearly geared to the professional tuner. There is no manual that defines the parameters and requires you to download a program off the internet. These programs should be on a CD-ROM and be included in the box - like other respectable computer programs.

These are issues SCT is aware of and, reportedly, are working on.

I am a very satisfied customer.

94_302
01-20-2006, 11:28 AM
Lidio,

What's the difference in these vs the Xcal 2 ?.

From what I can tell reading up on it, it appears the major(& perhaps only ?) difference is ...

You can now do data logging via the tuner itself's display screen & not just thru a windows based laptop/pc.

Any plans on offering these ?.

Thanks !.

On the SCT site it shows that with the SF you can do the following
<table bgcolor="#ffffff" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="3" width="345"> <tbody><tr align="left" bgcolor="#000066" valign="middle"><td height="15" width="234">User Adjustable Feature: </td> <td align="center" height="15" width="102"> </td> </tr> <tr align="left" bgcolor="#ebebeb" valign="middle"> <td height="15">Fuel Adjustment </td> <td align="center" bgcolor="#ebebeb" height="15">Yes</td> </tr> <tr align="left" valign="middle"> <td height="15">Spark Adjustment </td> <td align="center" height="15">Yes</td> </tr> <tr align="left" bgcolor="#ebebeb" valign="middle"> <td height="15">Read / Clear OBD-II Trouble Codes </td> <td align="center" height="15">Yes</td> </tr> <tr align="left" valign="middle"> <td height="15">Axle Ratio Selection</td> <td align="center" height="15">Yes*</td> </tr> <tr align="left" bgcolor="#ebebeb" valign="middle"> <td height="15">MAF Meter Selection</td> <td align="center" height="15">Yes</td> </tr> <tr align="left" valign="middle"> <td height="15">Tire Size Selection </td> <td align="center" height="15">Yes</td> </tr> <tr align="left" bgcolor="#ebebeb" valign="middle"> <td height="15">Fuel Injector Size Selection </td> <td align="center" height="15">Yes</td> </tr> <tr align="left" valign="middle"> <td height="15">Idle RPM </td> <td align="center" height="15">Yes</td> </tr> <tr align="left" bgcolor="#ebebeb" valign="middle"> <td height="15">Cooling Fan On / Off Temperature </td> <td align="center" height="15">Yes</td> </tr> <tr align="left" valign="middle"> <td height="15">Disable Traction Control</td> <td align="center" height="15">Yes*</td> </tr> <tr align="left" bgcolor="#ebebeb" valign="middle"> <td height="15">Two Step On / Off RPM </td> <td align="center" height="15">Yes*</td> </tr> <tr align="left" valign="middle"> <td height="15">Automatic Shift Control </td> <td align="center" height="15">Yes</td> </tr> <tr align="left" valign="middle"> <td colspan="2" height="15">*1999+ Vehicles ONLY. Not applicable for Diesel vehicles</td></tr></tbody> </table> http://www.sctflash.com/product_SF.php
I bolded what differs from the XCal2 (http://www.sctflash.com/product_xc2.php)

jdando
01-20-2006, 12:26 PM
I will pile on regarding LiveLink 2.3.4 crashing alot. I have almost given up on it. When it works it gives you a ton of data, but the frequent software crashes are very frustrating. Hard to drive and reload the program:drive:

jeremy

the_pack_rat
01-22-2006, 05:51 PM
Lidio -

Thanks for your reply. If you find out anymore, or intend on offering these, please let us know.

Does SCT still intend on giving the XCal 2, the on-screen data-logging ability at this point ?.

If so ... will it then have the ability to do the extra stuff included in this SCT comparison chart posted by 94_302 ?(thanks BTW).

Lidio
01-22-2006, 07:50 PM
Lidio -

Thanks for your reply. If you find out anymore, or intend on offering these, please let us know.

Does SCT still intend on giving the XCal 2, the on-screen data-logging ability at this point ?.

If so ... will it then have the ability to do the extra stuff included in this SCT comparison chart posted by 94_302 ?(thanks BTW).

SCT is supposed to release the ability for the Xcal-II to do on board data veiweing/logging soon, I'm not exactly sure though but it will do it. As a professional tuner I tend to not follow the Xcal's ability to be used as a stand alone data logger for the end retail user. Since I develop my own tunes and then simply leave it at that. Its taking a little longer then we'd all like I admit and the live link does have some bugs, but believe me their over all vehicle code support, software and tech support is far ahead of every one else hands down. This is why I'm on board with SCT.