PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Polish

Dan19063
01-20-2006, 09:49 AM
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Does any one know a good wheel polish for our MM rims. I think they are polished aluminum but do they have a clear coat finish on them? Does any one have any suggestions for a polish for them.:help: </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Rider90
01-20-2006, 09:51 AM
The same polish you use on your car's paint. I would do the clay bar, paint cleaner, polish, and a few layers of paste wax. Any wax with carnuba if you can swing it.

03MERCMARAUDER
01-20-2006, 09:54 AM
Good advice man,was going to say the same thing, throwing a good coat of carnuba will make the rims easier to clean down the road.

fastblackmerc
01-20-2006, 09:56 AM
I believe there IS a clear coat finish on the rims so you don't want to use anything too abrasive. I wash the wheels with my Mr. Clean system whenever I wash the rest of the car (remember to use a different sponge, cloth or whatever on the wheels than on the car body), I use a claybar on the wheels when I claybar the body and the same wax that goes on the body goes on the wheels. Some tire dressing and your set.

Rider90
01-20-2006, 10:00 AM
I believe there IS a clear coat finish on the rims so you don't want to use anything too abrasive. I wash the wheels with my Mr. Clean system whenever I wash the rest of the car (remember to use a different sponge, cloth or whatever on the wheels than on the car body), I use a claybar on the wheels when I claybar the body and the same wax that goes on the body goes on the wheels. Some tire dressing and your set.
Yes there is a clear coat. For tire dressing I would stay away from anything in a spray can or bottle, I've been using a tire gel for a few years now. It stays on longer, and gives you piece of mind not knowing you are spraying any rubber dressing on your paint or wheels. Tire gel will last for atleast two sometimes three times as long as the spray on stuff, and it even holds through rain for me.

Dan19063
01-20-2006, 10:47 AM
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">I use the zaino products on my car and I have used the polish on the wheels. I just think they are starting to look a little dull didnt know if there was a specific way to brighten them up or take out the fine scratches before putting on the polish.</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

StevenJ
01-20-2006, 10:56 AM
I used to use Eagle one Aluminum Wheel cleaner but stopped. It's best just to wash em with car wash soap. I use Meguiars car wash soap because I use their next generation wax. Their car wash soap reinforces the wax job on the car. I never wax the rims btw, only the body. Too much effort, sorry!

merc6
01-20-2006, 11:41 AM
I use rain-X carwash and wax. it's blue with the beads and as it says rain-x the dirt washed right off depending on the how hard it rains :)

sergio442
01-20-2006, 01:26 PM
Try American Racing wheel wax. Its available from tire rack. Its wax not polish:cool:

Marauder2005
01-20-2006, 09:55 PM
Bottom line, what ever you use on your paint, take the same care

on your wheels! There clear coated just like your paint. Wash and wax

them as you would your car. "No If's and's or but's" !!!!