PDA

View Full Version : Shorties and X-pipes

STLR FN
01-21-2006, 06:57 PM
Let me get this straight and correct me if I'm wrong. I've done the searching and what not and have come to the conclusion I can use shorty headers from a '99-'01/'03-'04 Cobra as long as I shim the driver side enging mount and an X-pipe from the same as long as I add the required 4" extensions for the wheelbase difference? I have less than 900mi for the warranty and it's time to mod.

Smokie
01-22-2006, 06:02 AM
Let me get this straight and correct me if I'm wrong. I've done the searching and what not and have come to the conclusion I can use shorty headers from a '99-'01/'03-'04 Cobra as long as I shim the driver side enging mount and an X-pipe from the same as long as I add the required 4" extensions for the wheelbase difference? I have less than 900mi for the warranty and it's time to mod.

Yes, you have it correct. If you want more info let me know; I have that set-up.

STLR FN
01-22-2006, 09:38 AM
Thanks Smokie.

Glenn
01-22-2006, 03:01 PM
You are generally correct. (I also have the Cobra shorty headers and X-pipe set-up connected to the OEM mufflers and tail pipes.) I have added several details that may be helpful. The FRC shortly headers are part #M-9430-E465 (ceramic coated). The FRC lists them for '96 - '02 Cobra only for a specific reason that was recently highlighted by Dennis Reinhart. The "D" shaped DOHC head exhaust ports do not exactly match-up with the header ports. The exhaust ports were apparently changed in the 2003 engines, i.e. including the MM. I was not aware of this previously, but it does not seem to be a significant mis-match. This is why DR changed to the Cobra manifolds.

I did not have to make any changes to the engine or steering when installing the headers. But, due to slight variations in engine and steering knuckle placement a small adjustment may have to be made. Also, the EGR tube must be connected to the opposite side header. The Cobra 2 1/2" SS hi-flow X-pipe with 2 CATS is Magaflow part number #93335. In addition, a 4" extension must be added to the X-pipe due to the length of the MM wheelbase. This is a job for a good muffler shop. The DR kit is a bolt-on.

The sound is louder then stock, but no noticeable drone at 75-80 mph. But, on WOT it is a very pleasant sound.

This system has worked well for me, but it is not for everyone. The best HP can be obtained from the Kook's kit, but at a much higher cost and louder with the supplied Magaflows. Basically there are 3 main options: FRC Cobra shorty headers and X-pipe, DR Cobra manifold system and the Kook's.

Glenn

Parts Man
01-22-2006, 07:25 PM
How Much Power Does This Add To The Car. Would Like To Do For The Right Hp

Glenn
01-22-2006, 08:22 PM
HP gains from the FRC and DR system approach are about 20+ HP for FRC and DR's system (assuming both hooked to OEM mufflers). Some setups have reported more or less depending on your mods. Kook's HP ranges depending on mods and N/A vs S/C and are from 30 to 50 HP (higher HP is at high end). You might want to email Dennis Reinhart on his system for a better response.

Glenn

Smokie
01-22-2006, 08:42 PM
I gained about 20 hp from my shorty set-up, I am very happy with results, Kooks make more power but are too loud for my personal taste. I like quiet power.

KillJoy
01-23-2006, 06:58 AM
Will Stock Exhaust Manifolds from a 99 Cobra fit?

If so, where would one get the spacers, or is it something one would have to fabricate?

KillJoy

1KFTLBS
02-23-2006, 04:58 PM
I need to know if a 03/04 cobra specific x-pipe will fit.

Thanks,

Randy

94_302
02-23-2006, 06:32 PM
Do you need any modifications to the egr? Any difference in fitment of FMS shorties to other brands? Do you have to do anything different between if you use 96-02 vs 03-04? How easy of an install is it? Being that the exhaust ports are different are 96-02 more likely to leak? I know its a flood of questions but 96-02 shorties don't cost that much (at least the last time I checked mustang classifieds) and an x-pipe is not too bad either. How much would a shop charge to install this setup?

STLR FN
02-23-2006, 11:22 PM
Well I got a lead for '03/'04 Cobra manifolds and a shop here in Garden City that will do custom pipe bending for $440 using a H and $480 using an X. Those prices also include Magnaflow 18" mufflers and extending my tips 1.5" past the bumper.