PDA

View Full Version : cobra exhaust install questions

mercmatt
01-22-2006, 05:56 AM
im getting the boot from the parents so im gonna try to save some money and install the kit myself.

its the dr cobra kit.

1 are there any gaskets or bolts i need

2 what is a good torque for the manifolds

3 does it work with the stock hangers (havent opened the box yet)

4 do i need any clamps

any other input is appreciated thanks in advance

MarauderMark
01-22-2006, 07:28 AM
Pm Dennis Reinhart (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=46). I'm sure he will help you.Or call him.

SergntMac
01-22-2006, 07:43 AM
Recycle your OEM manifold gaskets.

Everything you need should be in the box, but sometimes boxes leak.

AzMarauder
01-22-2006, 09:41 AM
im getting the boot from the parents so im gonna try to save some money and install the kit myself.

its the dr cobra kit.

1 are there any gaskets or bolts i need

2 what is a good torque for the manifolds

3 does it work with the stock hangers (havent opened the box yet)

4 do i need any clamps

any other input is appreciated thanks in advance

There are three gaskets in this operation... two manifold to head gaskets (you already have them on the car and can be reused) and one X-pipe to manifold gasket (not on the car, NEW) that SHOULD be in the kit from Dennis.

I do not know the torque on the manifold but you aren't dealing with bolts.. you have studs and nuts. If you figure out how to get in there with a torque wrench :bows: I used a variety of wrenches and sockets (with swivels etc.) but having room to do the job, especially on the passenger side... :eek:

You would do well to loosten (do not remove) the A/C compressor. Remove the belt, and just back the bolts holding the compressor way out but not off. It will give you room to get the front nuts on the passenger side.

The EGR fitting is a PITA ! AH... I don't think I said that correctly... THE EGR FITTING IS A PITA !

You may need to raise the driver's side of the engine (loosen the driver's side Motor Mount) to get the Cobra manifold in. The OEM will come out but the Cobra manifold is slightly different shaped. Folks say this is not required... but on my my car... it had to be done.
So you may need a floor jack and block of wood.

There are no "hangers" for the portion that you buy from Dennis. The hangers hold the back section (mufflers and tailpipes) and you are leaving OEM on the car so no issues there.

Clamps... they SHOULD be in the kit. I keep using SHOULD because my box arrived all torn up and clamps, bolts, etc. fell out in shipping. I wouldn't have used the clamps anyway as I had mine welded.

You will need to cut the factory "catback" exhaust to line it up with the new Cobra X-pipe. So, sawz-all or hack saw.

That is about all I can think of at the moment!
Give me a PM if you have questions during the install. I did mine in my garage on jack stands, laying on the floor. I don't know if a lift would have been preferable or not.

mercmatt
01-22-2006, 10:24 AM
thanks for the info. i have a lift so that should make it a little easier.

AzMarauder
01-22-2006, 11:02 AM
thanks for the info. i have a lift so that should make it a little easier.

I have access to a lift... but I also have a bad back... and as long as I had to work to get my hands in different areas.. laying on the floor was preferable.

Let me know how it goes for you !

mercmatt
01-23-2006, 06:49 AM
ya i cant wait to do it as soon as it stops f'n snowing so i can take it out of the garage