PDA

View Full Version : Tune with stock gear.Y or N?

LakeShoreDriver
01-22-2006, 07:01 PM
OK, I'm trying to sort all this info out and you guys have been great with advice so far so here's the question. Have an 04 with 8K miles and 2yrs left on warranty. So far I've only done the K&N 63-1111 intake. I'm not going to go big time on the mods but am interested in a performance tune. Alternative auto looks like my choice as of now, I like their engineering approach. Lidio says he "Highly" recommends4:10 with his tune. Not wanting a warranty issue right now, do I wait for the expiration? Will a tune with the 3:55 make that much of a difference? Am I just looking at just shift point improvements or will I see a bit more punch at takeoff? Alternative does'nt show an e-mail address for questions so I figured I'd ask here first before pestering them on the phone. Thanks

jawz101
01-22-2006, 07:21 PM
I noticed a distinct difference when I got my tune. Probably the most noticable mod to start w/. Running 3.55 gears and a PHP cold air intake. I got my tune from Dennis. I hear good things about both vendors.

As far as takeoff; well, I can't remember how my car did before. Regardless, you will not regret the mod.

ADE 1000
01-22-2006, 07:25 PM
I currently have stock gears and Lidio's tune on an Xcalibrator and would strongly recommend it. On my 2003 it made a very notceable improvement in throttle response and shift quality. The car now feels way healthier than it should for such a big car with a small engine.

Warranty issues are not a concern with the Xcalibrator. Your stock tune is retained and can be put back in 5 minutes anytime you take the car in for service.

Bradley G
01-22-2006, 07:26 PM
Give Lidio a call.
This was my first mod.

LakeShoreDriver
01-22-2006, 07:29 PM
Thanks fellas. sounds like I'll invest the 350. The warranty issue isn't with the tune---it's changing to 4:10 gear

LakeShoreDriver
01-22-2006, 07:35 PM
Dynopro? you guys here too? I talked to you guys a year or so ago about a dyno on a modded CV sport I had. Never made it, sold it to get the real deal.

Bradley G
01-22-2006, 07:39 PM
We will Dyno tune your Marauder. chip or tuner.

Dynopro? you guys here too? I talked to you guys a year or so ago about a dyno on a modded CV sport I had. Never made it, sold it to get the real deal.

dwasson
01-22-2006, 07:45 PM
I've got the stock gear and Lidio's tune. I love it. The first thing that I wanted when I got the MM was to change the shift points. Now I can lope along at 80mph and 2300rpm and have a power reserve for passing. It's the best money you can spend.

fastblackmerc
01-22-2006, 08:12 PM
IMHO, other than an S\C, changing to 4.10's & a tune is most likely the best mods performance-wise you can do to a stock MM. Don't worry about the warranty as the dealership won't know you've changed gears unless they have to go insdie the rear end. And if you go with Ford Racing parts I don't think they'd say anything......

rayjay
01-22-2006, 10:10 PM
Get the tuner and have the car dialed in on a dyno. Beats the daylights out of a mail order tune. I had a mail order tune and was not that impressed with it. I went to a shop recommended by a member here. They dialed in my shift points to match their tune. I picked up 30 hp and 50#s TQ across the midrange. Safe air/fuel ratios were part of the tune also. It made a HUGE difference in the car and I picked up 4mpg.

MENINBLK
01-22-2006, 10:23 PM
I've got the same Cold Air Intake you have and I added Lidio's tune
(Alternative Automotive) on an Xcal2 I purchased through Wes
(Innovative Interceptors) to complement it.

I am very happy with the tune and the way it wakes up the Marauder.
I recently had to swap back to the stock tune to prep for Emissions testing,
and I'm anxious to get it over with and done, so I can go back to Lidio's tune.

You may want to pick up the K&N Drycharger for your AirCharger.
Its a sock that fits over the K&N filter and keeps out the really fine dust particles.
It also keeps the filter cleaner, longer...

AzMarauder
01-23-2006, 06:38 AM
OK, I'm trying to sort all this info out and you guys have been great with advice so far so here's the question. Have an 04 with 8K miles and 2yrs left on warranty. So far I've only done the K&N 63-1111 intake. I'm not going to go big time on the mods but am interested in a performance tune. Alternative auto looks like my choice as of now, I like their engineering approach. Lidio says he "Highly" recommends4:10 with his tune. Not wanting a warranty issue right now, do I wait for the expiration? Will a tune with the 3:55 make that much of a difference? Am I just looking at just shift point improvements or will I see a bit more punch at takeoff? Alternative does'nt show an e-mail address for questions so I figured I'd ask here first before pestering them on the phone. Thanks

Yes a tune makes a big difference even with the 3.55. You will notice it immediately. As for warranty, a change to 4.10s won't affect your warranty except for perhaps the gears themselves. So were I you, I wouldn't be afraid of changing gears either.

Rider90
01-23-2006, 07:59 AM
I don't want to get into "He said" this, but my brother knows a Ford Tech that said if anyone is bringing their car in for service and they've used a tuner that the engine must go through 20 cold start cycles before it is un-traceable. Back in the day (2004) on the diesel boards I would hear of people voiding their warranty after unloading the tuner and bringing it in as Ford has still traced the tune. I followed the 20 cold start procedure when selling my truck, the dealer said they would have to check the computer to see if there was any history of "One of those fancy tuning devices" since I had 3 gauges on the A-Pillar, and everything checked out.

Just a precaution, it doesn't hurt to try.

SergntMac
01-23-2006, 08:06 AM
If you need a mod friendly dealership, let me know?

RF Overlord
01-23-2006, 08:34 AM
a Ford Tech that said if anyone is bringing their car in for service and they've used a tuner that the engine must go through 20 cold start cycles before it is un-traceable. Just a precaution, it doesn't hurt to try.Now THAT is something good to know...thanks, J!

To answer LSD's questions: Definitely get Lidio's tune, even if you keep the stock gears...you WILL be impressed with not only the new shift schedule, but with the extra power you didn't know you had. You can always add the 4.10s later and be impressed all over again... :D , although if you choose to get the gears now, and they are installed correctly, if you DO have some issue that requires warranty repair, as others have said it's very unlikely anyone will notice. If you're concerned, then have the axle TSB performed now, that way you'll KNOW if everything is in good shape.

ckadiddle
01-23-2006, 08:37 AM
Get a tune. Only mods I have in addition to the tuner is KDW2 tires and muffler delete. Everything else is 2003 stock. Makes a more pleasant drive at light throttle due to trans shifting changes and a very noticeable difference under WOT. This is with Reinhart's "standard" tune. I have no doubt that putting it on a dyno and having a tune custom made for my car would net me more improvement, but that just isn't in the cards right now.

I kick myself every day for waiting so long before ordering a tune. I recommend purchasing from a mm.net supporting vendor, doesn't matter to me which one you use. I think they are all great for helping keep this resource available to us.

KillJoy
01-23-2006, 08:41 AM
I just got a used SCT Chip w/ a Lidio Tune. My car is bone stock ( as was the previous owner's), except I installed a K&N Drop In. There is a lot more lower speed acceleration! Tires will break on launch and sometimes bark into second.

It definately made it a different car....if you want it to be. Just romp on the loud pedal, and off you go!

I would say get the tune, and hold off on the gears. After you get used to the new drivablilty, you can put the gears in, get it recalibrated for the gears, and be happily pleased all over again.

KillJoy

LakeShoreDriver
01-23-2006, 05:28 PM
mucho grazziass to all who took the time to comment. Makes my decision easier.

StevenJ
01-23-2006, 06:09 PM
Get the tune from Lidio. I have a stock car with 3.55s and it runs fine. My only mods are pulleys and intake, that's it. Plus, if you get it from Lidio, he'll throw in an extra setting for 4.10s for if and when you do get them. So when you do switch gears, you won't need to ask for another tune, it will be right there!

jimlam56
01-23-2006, 06:28 PM
IMHO, other than an S\C, changing to 4.10's & a tune is most likely the best mods performance-wise you can do to a stock MM. Don't worry about the warranty as the dealership won't know you've changed gears unless they have to go insdie the rear end. And if you go with Ford Racing parts I don't think they'd say anything......
In y'alls opinion, is it necessary to add the girdle and hd driveshaft if you go with the 4:10s? All I have at this point is the DR Xcal tune, but thinking about 4:10s...

QWK SVT
01-23-2006, 06:46 PM
Get the tune from Lidio. I have a stock car with 3.55s and it runs fine. My only mods are pulleys and intake, that's it. Plus, if you get it from Lidio, he'll throw in an extra setting for 4.10s for if and when you do get them. So when you do switch gears, you won't need to ask for another tune, it will be right there!

That's what I did - my XCal2 was pre-loaded with a tune for 3.55's and 4.10's. After a couple of months, I decided I wanted 4.10's and already had the program ready to load. ;)

I did a fair bit of testing, before and after and both mods have made substancial results. Combined with a JLT intake, and I droped over .5 second :burnout:

StevenJ
01-23-2006, 07:09 PM
In y'alls opinion, is it necessary to add the girdle and hd driveshaft if you go with the 4:10s? All I have at this point is the DR Xcal tune, but thinking about 4:10s...

Girdle, yes. Driveshaft, well that depends. First, you'll have to get the gears, then drive your car as fast as 90mph up to about 110mph. If you don't feel any strong vibrations in this range with the gears installed, you won't need a driveshaft. If You do get vibration, especially if it starts around 90, then at a minimum you should get your driveshaft rebalanced. It really depends on the car. Some were lucky and got a better balanced shaft, some weren't so balanced and had problems.

RF Overlord
01-24-2006, 07:41 AM
In y'alls opinion, is it necessary to add the girdle and hd driveshaft if you go with the 4:10s?Necessary? No. Desirable? Yes.

The girdle is isn't really necessary unless you install a power adder (blower, nitrous, etc) or you spend a great deal of time at the strip; however, if you're going to be under the car doing the gears, and have to have the cover off anyway, that's a perfect time to add the girdle. too.

As far as the DS, some have been lucky and not needed it with the gear change, others have had the transmission tailshaft bushing ruined due to retaining the stock DS. It's really only an issue if you regularly travel at speeds of 80 MPH and above, but the damage can occur very quickly, so it's recommended that the DS be replaced when installing 4.10s.