PDA

View Full Version : Diablo/Trilogy

maraudernkc
01-25-2006, 12:00 PM
I was taking with Diablo yestreday and they had mentioned that 6 or 7 Trilogy guys were now running Diablo tunes. Is this true? If it is true, how do you like the Diablo tuning? We have been very happy with the job that Diablo has done with our kit. Scott Beer has done one hell of a job on these Marauders. I know that Prochrger is very happy with the job that Diablo has done on the new Mustang.

Greg

MarauderMarc
01-25-2006, 03:00 PM
I know Cobra25 runs a Diablo tune and a MAFia on his Trilogy. Although Ive never seen his car do a run (hee hee) I get the impression he is happy with it. Scott Beer is a Wizard with our cars. IMHO if I had a "mail away" tune on my car, Id only be at @280 RWHP. Its nice that he is so close. He is one hell of a nice guy as well. Id only trust him with my car on the Dyno. Again, this is only my opinion.

Cobra25
01-25-2006, 03:34 PM
Scott Beer has been the only one I will let Dyno my Trilogy Marauder. Mine was the First Trilogy Marauder to be tuned by him . The first time he did about 8 or 9 pulls and my RWHP went from 381 to 401 RWHP. He told me to come back in 2 weeks and he would have a great tune for me. Two weeks later I went back and after 4-5 pulls I had 443 RWHP. My RWTQ was ( 390 but wasn't right at the time ) and I went back last week and Scott made a few adjustments and my RWTQ is Unbelieveable. I have to feather my gas pedal now or the rear wheels will just spin like crazy. Tommarrow I'm doing my brakes and putting in a SVT Focus Fuel pump and then back to Scott for a small adjustment. AT this time I'm not sure what my real numbers are but I will say this much their just unbelievable. In my Book Scott is The Man!

Bradley G
01-25-2006, 05:21 PM
What are your goals?
Did your car P/U 60 HP from the dyno tune alone?
Is the 11#'s of boost on a 3.0 pulley?
Scott Beer has been the only one I will let Dyno my Trilogy Marauder. Mine was the First Trilogy Marauder to be tuned by him . The first time he did about 8 or 9 pulls and my RWHP went from 381 to 401 RWHP. He told me to come back in 2 weeks and he would have a great tune for me. Two weeks later I went back and after 4-5 pulls I had 443 RWHP. My RWTQ was ( 390 but wasn't right at the time ) and I went back last week and Scott made a few adjustments and my RWTQ is Unbelieveable. I have to feather my gas pedal now or the rear wheels will just spin like crazy. Tommarrow I'm doing my brakes and putting in a SVT Focus Fuel pump and then back to Scott for a small adjustment. AT this time I'm not sure what my real numbers are but I will say this much their just unbelievable. In my Book Scott is The Man!

tmac1337
01-25-2006, 07:35 PM
I think it is great that people are experimenting a little bit. There is more than one way to reach an objective, in our cases good tuning. Diablo is a big dog in the tuning industry and gives other companies good competition. Tuning is the hardest part of getting a car to not just run, but run GREAT!

Scott Beer has a lot of time on Marauders now and his tunes keep getting better. I pulled 457 RWHP the other day on the dyno with the TQ converter unlocked on my 4th and last pull with a regular room fan in front of the car(83 degrees out, just rained, high humidity, 93 octane). My spark on the dyno fluctuates between 14-18 degrees kicking it. Steady 14 if the car is really hot. I have nothing to hide about my tune.

Diablo kicks ass! (the competitions that is)

Cobra25
01-25-2006, 07:50 PM
What are your goals?
Did your car P/U 60 HP from the dyno tune alone?
Is the 11#'s of boost on a 3.0 pulley? In the begining my rwhp was 381, after Scott Tuned it 2 weeks later it was 443 rwhp ( Last year). That was a 62 rwhp gain on his Dyno tune.( No additional Mods) Now after last weekend it pulls harder I'll say that much. The 11 Lbs. of boost is on a 3.2 Pulley.

tmac1337
01-25-2006, 09:22 PM
In the begining my rwhp was 381, after Scott Tuned it 2 weeks later it was 443 rwhp ( Last year). That was a 62 rwhp gain on his Dyno tune.( No additional Mods) Now after last weekend it pulls harder I'll say that much. The 11 Lbs. of boost is on a 3.2 Pulley.

I can testify to this. I drove Z's car a few times before he had it custom tuned. It was nowhere near the animal it is now. Previously at cruising speeds I could put the pedal down, hear his blower, yet the car would not respond much. We were both scratching our heads wondering what was up? Why only a 100 hp and tq increase? Tuning was the answer. Do it now and the car takes off. The reaction time during tip ins has improved substantially. His kit always did have good low end TQ, courtesy of the roots blower. Now it is blistering at a feathered pedal. He has been able to add a lot more spark advance to his tune with no detonation as a result of a good tuner (Scott Beer).

Can't wait to see how it does at the track!

MarauderMarc
01-26-2006, 10:02 AM
The first time I saw Scott, I was making 261 rwhp and 280 rwtq. With ONLY his custom dyno tune, I was at 292 rwhp and 311 rwtq. Thats 31 rwhp from a tune!!! If any of you could ever make it to South Florida for a weekend, Id do it and come see Dr.Beer!

Bradley G
01-28-2006, 08:51 PM
That is tremendous!
Glad to hear you are happy with the tune!
In the begining my rwhp was 381, after Scott Tuned it 2 weeks later it was 443 rwhp ( Last year). That was a 62 rwhp gain on his Dyno tune.( No additional Mods) Now after last weekend it pulls harder I'll say that much. The 11 Lbs. of boost is on a 3.2 Pulley.

Rider90
02-21-2006, 08:40 PM
Scott Beer sent me a tune via E-mail that he said will work with my Trilogy. After the install the MM will go on a trailer and be hauled over the Dynopros for a couple runs to monitor the A/F and adjust the Boost-a-pump. Oh yeah, Brad, now you know :D

I'm leaning towards Scott's tune because I can still use my Diablosport Predator, I don't want to buy a different hand held tuner. So I figured I would flash Scott's tune on there and if it works out, cool, if not I'll get into the PCM and swap the chip.

What I'm wondering is, do you Trilogy/Diablo guys think Scott's tune will do okay? He has not dynoed my car, but if the A/F is okay then thats all that matters - right? Someone want to educate me here...

bigslim
02-21-2006, 09:32 PM
Rider, you have a PM.

mpearce
02-22-2006, 05:14 AM
In the begining my rwhp was 381, after Scott Tuned it 2 weeks later it was 443 rwhp ( Last year). That was a 62 rwhp gain on his Dyno tune

Is this on 93 pump gas?

-Mat

Smokie
02-22-2006, 06:29 AM
Scott Beer tunes work, and they work very well. He has tuned several Trilogy blowers here in Florida. However the tunes were done to the specific configuration of the owners car AND we have very good quality 93 octane fuel in Florida.

Besides the T-Kit, other mods to your car such as CAI and custom exhaust will affect the A/F ratio, the quality of your local gas CANNOT be overlooked, because that is where you might get into trouble with detonation.

The Lidio tune that comes with Kit is very CONSERVATIVE for a reason: It goes all over the country and has to account for many variables, not the least of which is crappy gas.

If you have faith in your local 93 octane fuel, you should be ok.

Rider90
02-22-2006, 07:14 AM
Thanks for the insight guys. I've been running different N/A Scott Beer tunes in my Marauder for over a year and I am very satisfied. But this is no longer N/A, it's playing with a larger fire, so I am a little un-sure about this whole thing. Maybe it would be best to use the tune in the box, but I'll lose the ability to adjust parameters in the Marauder.

Decisions, Decisions...

Tallboy
02-22-2006, 07:19 AM
Rider, check your e-mail.

Rider90
02-22-2006, 07:26 AM
Rider, check your e-mail.
Thanks Chuck, reply coming soon.

My car has never seen a Dragstrip nor a Dyno (Yet) so I am wondering for those that know what they're talkin about here...

The plan is:

Install the Trilogy, flash the Diablosport tune onto the Marauder, start it and drive it on the trailer, turn it off, trailer it to the closest Dynojet Dyno and unload it. The car will be running for less than a minute on the diablosport tune and hardly any throttle - just enough to get it up the ramps, off, and onto the dyno. That should be okay, right?

Strap it down, hook up the wideband and let her rip on the dyno. Now the person operating the MM on the dyno (Probably CJ@DynoPro) will be able to monitor the A/F ratio and if it looks unsafe he can back off, right? If it is too unsafe or I hear a single ping we can back off and I'll install the Lidio chip and then we'll put it on the dyno again. If I recall correctly, it should see a dyno anyway to adjust the Boost-A-Pump, right?

Tallboy
02-22-2006, 07:31 AM
No need to use a dyno to set the boost-a-pump. Dial it up to "10" and forget it. Unless you get a custom tune, you'll probably never have to touch it again.

Your plan seems sound, and you should have no trouble. But, in this case, I'd just plug the SCT chip in, fire the sumb!tch up, and drive 'er on over to our buddy Bradley.:cool:

From there, you can use either tune as a starting point for a DynoPro custom hot-rod tune.:burnout:

Cobra25
02-22-2006, 10:30 AM
Is this on 93 pump gas?

-Mat Yes it is, on 93 Oct. pump gas.

MikesMerc
02-22-2006, 12:46 PM
Besides the T-Kit, other mods to your car such as CAI and custom exhaust will affect the A/F ratio, the quality of your local gas CANNOT be overlooked, because that is where you might get into trouble with detonation.

The Lidio tune that comes with Kit is very CONSERVATIVE for a reason: It goes all over the country and has to account for many variables, not the least of which is crappy gas.

These are VERY wise words and are spot on.

I have no doubt that the Scott Beer tunes are proving to be good tunes. I also have no doubt that there are other tuners around the country that can also find power to be had in the stock Trilogy tune. In fact, I've had the opportunity to take a peek at some of the parameters others are using.

I will not name names, but I will say that I have seen some ignition timing settings that are being used with 93 pump gas that are close to what I run on 100 octane. I'm not saying that's bad....but it is anything but conservative. Folks running around with that kind of tune are one bad tank of gas away from trouble.

Bottom line, if you plan on running a tune other than the tune that comes with the Trilogy kit, I'd strongly recommend that you have the car custom dyno tuned. That way you can take local fuel quality, altitude, and specifics to the car into account as the safety margin is removed.

Anyone can find more power by kicking up the timing. Its being able to do it safely that counts.

HwyCruiser
02-22-2006, 05:57 PM
The beauty about the Diablo tune, at least on the FIT application where the IAT is relocated to after the blower and intercooler, is the timing is adaptive based on intake air and engine coolant temperature. Timing is added (up to a set maximum) to the base timing for various rpm ranges when it's cool and timing is pulled when it's hot. Therefore there is really no fixed amount of timing at any rpm or temperature.

This interaction between IAT and timing really isn't appreciated on the dyno because you're only seeing one compression cycle and generally the car is given time to cool off between runs. I've datalogged what the tune does at a wide range of outside air temperatures on the street and the strip. When it's hot outside and you've been in and out of boost on a spirited run, the tune will back out enough timing to let you know its time to cruise for a little bit to cool the system back down. When it's cool outside, it takes a lot of beating to notice a significant difference.

I have no idea if Scott is implementing this adaptive tuning on the Trilogy cars, although I think if you're not looking at IAT your leaving some serious performance potential and safety considerations on the table.