PDA

View Full Version : Electro-Static Discharge

Blue Marauder
04-13-2003, 11:38 AM
Just curious.

Are any of you that have installed ships in your computer familiar with electro-static discharge (ESD)? If so, do you take any precautions to prevent it like working on a grounded work bench and wearing a grounding bracelet? Or do you just set the computer on something and work away?

Has anybody zapped a computer or chip due to ESD? If so, how did you get a replacement for it?

Sorry. I'm an engineer and I worry about stuff like this.

RF Overlord
04-13-2003, 11:54 AM
Blue:

You bring up a very good point...there are a few of us here that deal with ESD in our jobs; me, gja, & CRUZTAKER, just to name a few. I was careful not to wear rubber-soled shoes, and not walk across the carpet on my way to the kitchen table...but to answer your question, no I didn't take ESD-specific measures like you mentioned. I did avoid handling the new chip, and left it in its anti-static bag until immediately before installation. I haven't heard of any real problems related to ESD on either this board or CVN, so the ECM must be fairly rugged...

CRUZTAKER
04-13-2003, 12:30 PM
RF: Mine came in a small zip-lock clear plastic baggie....DEFINATELY NOT ESD. I'd get fired if I got caught shovin' a board in a zip-lock.

It's mentioned in one of my threads in regard to the RPC chip shipping and installation ( The product I utilize). I am an installer/engineer for SBC and AT-T, and am not only aware, but attended classes and received certifications on ESD safety.

I was only able to sway a couple members, the rest, including the supplier on our end, did not seem to be concerned. The end.

Since you brought it up...allow me to reiterate:

I was appalled at the fact that my chip was shipped loose in a card board box, in a plastic baggie, with paper and other material including a thermostat and 8 spark plugs.

I tried to make it clear to the supplier and other members that although the large percentage will avoid physical damage, packed in this fashion, maybe 98%, , many if not all of them, WILL suffer static damage to some extent, that may not make it's appearence known for years or product lifetime.

The product should have been packed in ESD certified anti-static bag, folded completely over one side, and sealed with a yellow or orange warning label, from the manufacturer. If they weren't -THEY were wrong. If the retail supplier didn't take caution during prep and repack in original ESD bag - THEY were wrong as well. PERIOD.
There is no excuse in this day and age not to be aware of ESD and handling PCB'S on the part of the maker and supplier.

I agree that the odds of us having ANY trouble with our products may be slim, but then again, how many us of used a wrisp strap?
...two, three...I did, during the entire process. Nice thought, but I can't control how it was handled before I got my hands on it. I worked in a computer production plant dealing with memory parts, add on boards, etc. I know how I expect it should have been done.......I have also seen other products of this nature...they are packed correctly with ESD instructions.

Oh well...(expedable) I guess $325 isn't much money to some folks these days. Especially when the promise of hi-performance is the result.
Proud owner and it works!!!

-today-

RCSignals
04-13-2003, 02:53 PM
I have to agree with you CRUZTAKER. it's one of those things that seems trivial, and often enough nothing happens, but the fact is packaging the chip correctly in an ESD pouch is the right way of doing it.

Try returning a defective electronic part to a manufacturer in a plastic baggie and see if they Honour any warranty after.

Smokie
04-13-2003, 03:43 PM
Vicky, I don't consider myself an automotive expert but in my line of work I deal with with appliance computer boards daily, first if are going to work on a board to install a chip I recommend a wrist grounding strap, static electricity can wipe out a microprocessor, second if you are dealing with gold contacts I recommend using a pencil eraser and finish with a can of compressed air, be careful with solvents some are very corrosive, I would recommend isopropyl alcohol or electronic spray contact cleaner. Avoid using a sharp metal object to clean the contacts; you may clean the contacts right off the board, Good luck. Smokie.

I made the above comments on ESD last september, I don't believe packing the chip in a plastic baggie is a good idea but a lot of time people don't believe in what they can't see or feel, ESD can shorten the life of electronics even if it works correctly when installed.

Blue Marauder
04-13-2003, 05:09 PM
I am surprised that so many people know enough about ESD to be concerned about it. That's good. It is something that I have never seen mentioned on the Lightning boards or other forums. Could explain though why some people have problems with their chips when they are first installed. I would be less worried about wiping out a chip than wiping out the entire ECU, especially for those cars that require you to remove it completely. Would probably be tough to get a warranty replacement!

TripleTransAm
04-13-2003, 05:48 PM
Sounds like we have a bunch of Telecom'ers on this board (no pun intended).

I've worked for Ericsson for 10 years (s/w and h/w supplier for SBC, Cingular, ATTWS, Rogers/Cantel, MicroCell, etc.etc.etc.). I gotta be honest and admit that sometimes I'm a bit slack when it comes to ESD protection at work in our labs (we do R&D on s/w here in MTL), but in the field, we adhere to ESD-related guidelines as if they were the word of God. NO ONE wants to fry any customer equipment, that's for sure.

That being said, you can bet your a$$es I'll be wearing my wrist strap and avoiding any carpeted areas if I ever get the chip installed. If I end up with more electrons on me than God intended while working on the MM's PCM, I'd rather they choose a different path to leave than through the PCM itself!