PDA

View Full Version : Modified JLT Heat Shield

DEFYANT
01-28-2006, 07:15 PM
I purchased a JLT intake last June, then won a JLT intake at MVIII. I installed the silver tube but still had other parts here on a box.

After reading and investigating excessive heat exposure to the intake air using the JLT set up, I decided to sacrafice the extra heat shield and attempt to enclose the powerstack filter.

The best part of this was when I had heat shields, one in each hand, trying to figure a way to put them together. I was turning and placing them in different ways, but could not get it quite right. My daughter was with me and said, "Let me try". I thought ":rolleyes: Ok here ya go". SHe did it! :eek: She turned them around and put them together!

After some cutting, dremeling, and glueing (I used PVC plastic pipe cement), the results are pretty good. Here are some pics:

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/2/6/4/4/DCP_1701.JPG

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/2/6/4/4/DCP_1700.JPG

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/2/6/4/4/DCP_1699.JPG

I plan to go alittle further with something to try to seal off the engine compartment totally.

...and the beat goes on.

03MERCMARAUDER
01-28-2006, 08:35 PM
Looks good charlie, now how do you get the filter out LOL. Dont yo ever stop tinckering with that thing LOL

Joe

MikesMerc
01-28-2006, 08:37 PM
Nice!

I need to do the same thing. I need a heatshield bad.

Looks good Charlie.

Bradley G
01-28-2006, 08:44 PM
OK, Mr. Eleven second! :P
Look's good Charlie!

Nice!

I need to do the same thing. I need a heatshield bad.

Looks good Charlie.

DEFYANT
01-28-2006, 08:44 PM
Oh yeah..

The filter.

I drilled a small hole just large enough in the bottom of the box to get a screw driver in there. You simply push the filter on the MAF adaptor, put the screw driver in through the small hole and tighten.

03MERCMARAUDER
01-28-2006, 09:14 PM
You would make an awesome engineer Charlie. So what else do you have planned LOL

Joe

Dragcity
01-28-2006, 09:20 PM
Atta Girl!

Now time to get some of that R-Board insulation to encase the new box. Foil side out of coarse.

Does anyone ever use a "cool can" for fuel delivery any-more? I had a large coffee can with a coil of copper tubing running through it, that led to the carb. While racing, I'd fill the coffee can with Crushed ice and top with water.

Oh, to be young and racing again....

rayjay
01-29-2006, 03:46 PM
Kind of looks like a black PHP airbox, nice job.

Tucker
01-30-2006, 04:15 AM
Great job.
One thing to remember is above 25 MPH your under hood temps drop to near ambiant temp. If you have an SCT X-2 you can data log this to see. These cars are build like trucks, meaning there is tons of air flow coming in the engine compartment from the underside.

My thinking was to block "most" of the direct heat at low speed, but not "box" in the filter, inturn restricting air.

More warm air is better then less cool air.
I don't think you made a air restriction, but I do think it looks pretty "cool"

Jay

DEFYANT
02-08-2006, 10:53 PM
UPDATE:

So far the modded box / heat sheild is holding up nicely.

I have been running this mod for a little while now. The data logger shows the temps in the intake rise when the car stops, but seems to drop faster once moving. The track will be the ultimate test. I do not expect any real difference in the 1/4 times, but I think the temps will drop much faster.

Also, the blower whine is a tad bit lower since the open filter is in a box now.

ckadiddle
02-09-2006, 07:30 AM
I think it cries out for a Supercharged Marauder logo and/or gods head logo stenciled on the outside of the new box.