PDA

View Full Version : "Voltage Stabilizers" - Snake Oil -or- Of Use

gdmjoe
01-31-2006, 06:04 PM
While spelunking the eBayŽ Marauder section, came across this ditty ..... Particular listing (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercury-Cougar-Marauder-Sable-Voltage-Stabilizer_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQc ategoryZ33577QQitemZ8034705725 QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW)

http://i14.ebayimg.com/03/i/04/26/0f/d9_1_b.JPG
JDM VOLTAGE STABILIZER System (By TOP SPEED)

Looked-up voltage stabilizer at WikipediA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_stabilizer); am I reading that the device is a more responsive (due to tranistorization) voltage regulator ?

So ..... :up: (of use) -or- :down: (snake oil)

RF Overlord
01-31-2006, 06:17 PM
I've seen this exact same POS before, with all its incredibly bad spelling and grammer... (Gradn Marquis??? Maruder???) I like this part the best: "CPU (ECU) Can Give Best Judgement If And Only If The Signal Is Accurate Which Affected By Electricity Flow in the System." WHAT?!

It's a waste of money...I tend to believe that the designers of the PCM used in most (if not all) cars build DC voltage regulators into the circuitry already. If (and that's a mighty big IF) this thing does anything at all, it's not going to give you a "Stable And Powerful Electrical In Car Will Ensure Best Torque And Response" :shake:

jgc61sr2002
01-31-2006, 07:20 PM
What RF said. ^^^^^^^^

dwasson
01-31-2006, 07:33 PM
Since the ECU is digital, the signals it generates are either on or off. There is no benefit to extra voltage regulation unless you are concerned that the unregulated voltage is destroying the ECU. Not likely.

JACook
01-31-2006, 08:33 PM
Since the ECU is digital, the signals it generates are either on or off. There is no benefit to extra voltage regulation unless you are concerned that the unregulated voltage is destroying the ECU. Not likely.
While the ECU's internal signals are digital, it relies on quite a few analog sensors for it's input. That said, the voltages
fed to those analog sensors are very well regulated within the ECU, and the entire system is very tolerant of wide voltage
swings.

The subject Voltage Stabilizer is 100% Serpent Lube. Not only that, it's just a fancy expensive electrolytic capacitor.
IF such a thing were to be of benefit, you can find much better, at far less expense, from any good electronics store...

DEFYANT
01-31-2006, 10:50 PM
All hail the latest Turbonator Thread

drgnrdr33
01-31-2006, 11:51 PM
To get the most out of the voltage stabilizer you have to connect it to newly installed muffler bearings. Make sure you install both with a left-handed screw driver.

Marauder386
02-01-2006, 03:59 AM
HEY NOW.... I am left hand dominate...

:coolman:

dwasson
02-01-2006, 09:59 AM
To get the most out of the voltage stabilizer you have to connect it to newly installed muffler bearings. Make sure you install both with a left-handed screw driver.
And you have to use the right kind of oil.

That's another thread.

metroplex
02-01-2006, 10:06 AM
Extra voltage regulation will not give you more horsepower or better charging capabilities. All solid-state devices will usually have some form of voltage regulation (i.e. PCM, LCM, ABS, etc...)

Warpath
02-01-2006, 10:09 AM
While the ECU's internal signals are digital, it relies on quite a few analog sensors for it's input. That said, the voltages
fed to those analog sensors are very well regulated within the ECU, and the entire system is very tolerant of wide voltage
swings.

The subject Voltage Stabilizer is 100% Serpent Lube. Not only that, it's just a fancy expensive electrolytic capacitor.
IF such a thing were to be of benefit, you can find much better, at far less expense, from any good electronics store...

The battery is a big ass capacitor of sorts too.

ctrcbob
02-01-2006, 11:48 AM
Mouse Milk! :puke: