PDA

View Full Version : Potential Problem

frdwrnch
04-14-2003, 09:34 AM
Had a Marauder towed in with check engine light on and shift timing errors. Found blown EEc fuse. The engine wiring harness had chafed on the back of the right (passenger) cylinder head where there is a square casting boss with sharp edges. Inspected my car and harness was rubbing against the same area. Fabricated chafe guard out of 5/8" heater hose about 3 inches long and slipped it over the wiring in the problem area. Engineer from ford called for info on the repair and said later models were corrected in manufacture. But you may still want to check as this could potentially put one down.

BODYMAN
04-14-2003, 09:42 AM
do you have a digital camera were you could post some pics showing the problem.

Thanks Todd

MMM2003
04-14-2003, 09:53 AM
Do you know which build time could be affected?
What build date was the one towed in?

Thanks for the heads up. I'll check mine over lunch.

frdwrnch
04-14-2003, 09:54 AM
I have a digital camera but i'm a little weak with the photo software. I'll try to have a picture in a day or two.

jgc61sr2002
04-14-2003, 04:54 PM
frdwrnch - Thanks for the heads up, although I have a 300B I will also check the harness. Thanks John

WolfeBros
04-14-2003, 06:51 PM
There were a few transmission shifting problems reported here that turned out to be electrical because of wiring chafing on the left side of the engine between the cylinder and the firewall as well. The prudent thing for all that have not done this yet is to inspect wiring bundles on BOTH sides of the engine between the heads and firewall. And yes be careful there are some sharp edges. Thanks for the heads up on this problem as well.

sailsmen
04-14-2003, 07:13 PM
Thanks Frdwrnch. Is it the passsenger side wiring harness next to the metal heater core hoses where they go in the fire wall that leads to the positive battery terminal?

It looks to be a really tight space, too tight for my wide hands. How did you access it from the top via the hood or bottom by hoist?

If you could please give a better descritption for us non-tech types.

Logan
04-15-2003, 06:12 AM
The chafing that's been reported before was due to a wiring harness chafing against a sharp edge just below the cowl on the firewall just beside and a little below the brake fluid resevoir, towards the engine. There's a main harness loom there, and on some early cars, it's routed a bit too close to that sharp edge. I had zip tied mine down so it wouldn't chafe...

MAD-3R
04-15-2003, 06:43 AM
Hmmmm,
Yesterday, on my way to work, I pulled away from a light and ghot on it to get around some slower traffic. After passing the trafic, I started getting a wierd "tack tack tack" sound from the car, the motor sounded VERy rough, and after comming down the ramp, it just ... died. I costed and wrenched it around a corner. I had it towed to the dealer. We called back after 4 and was told it may be the altenator.

I'm wondering if this chifing problem might not be an issue.

frdwrnch
04-17-2003, 05:57 PM
Here is a pic of the problem area resolved w/chafe guard.