PDA

View Full Version : heat/ac blower problem

ultravorx
02-02-2006, 03:40 PM
hey guys, the other night i noticed my blower stopped working, it didnt work in the fan control or automatic. So i started checking fuses, and one under the hood was blown. a 20 amp power distribution fuse. i replaced it and still nothing.
i proceeded to check the relay, and it was not clicking when the fan was turned on. so i tried the air suspension relay, nothing. I then went to see if proper voltage was hitting the relay pack, and it seem like it wasnt working, i decided to call it quits and put the relay back it, to my surprise it clicked and my friend said the blower kicked on!!?!
Could this have been a loose connection in the fuse junction box, or a stuck relay? i have no idea what caused this, but i dont want it to be a chroonic problem. But 3 days and so far no problems!

any info would be great!!!
Frank

ultravorx
05-05-2006, 02:28 PM
well it happened again, but this time no luck playing with the relay, the relay is working, and 12v is going to the blower.

could it be a bad blower, it looks like its a 2 wire setup, so i should be a ble to pull it apart and check it out, what do you guys think?

Frank

Rider90
05-05-2006, 02:40 PM
carry a screw driver around or a small rubber mallet. Next time it happens pull over and pop the hood. The housing for the blower is on the passenger side close to the firewall just above the inner fender - it's a round housing. Take the handle of the screw driver or the rubber mallet and tap the housing. This is a common problem that even I have experienced on another Panther. If the fan starts to work after tapping the housing it's time to replace the blower motor.

Good luck!

ultravorx
05-05-2006, 03:03 PM
I tried the love tap method. it started to make A noise like it wanted to move, but never happened again.

I also tried the self diagnosis with the off/floor button and got no codes

if I do replave the motor myself, is it done from the motor side of the car or the interior side of the car.

thanks in advance!

ultravorx
05-05-2006, 04:31 PM
I just tried giving the fan 12v and it worked, so it looks like its not the blower, but with no codes showing up, I'm at a loss!

frank

KMABOSS302
05-05-2006, 06:36 PM
Frank,check the blower motor resistor plug.After popping two of them I found one of the terminals reversed,so it would not snap into the plug.It was one of the 10 or 12 ga.wires.The resistor is located on the heater box behind R/S valve cover.I hope this helps.Good luck,Kevin

DEFYANT
12-03-2006, 08:39 AM
:bump:

Was it resolved? If so, how?

thePunisher
12-03-2006, 11:41 AM
it nneds a blower speed controller. ford basic # 19e624. it is located on the firewall behind the pass side valve cover. it is a rectangular box. just tap on it and the fan will probalby come on.

frdwrnch
12-03-2006, 07:29 PM
I second the speed controller. They fail periodically. Fan always has 12V switched and controller varies the amount of ground to control speed.

ammolance
12-26-2016, 12:35 PM
Well, not sure if there's more info on this or not, but my fan isn't working all of the sudden. Disclaimer: I am extremely incompetent when it comes to mechanining as I've mentioned before. I tapped the round thing that looks like it has a nipple on it above the passenger wheel fender, and nothing at all. I also tapped what I thought was the "rectangle" box behind passenger valve cover - nothing. When I cycle through the different modes (floor, floor/def, A/C, etc) I can hear the vents or whatever opening up for the associated application, but fan just isn't working. Checked fuse 15 and 16 and things looked normal. Any suggestions? '03 Marauder.

RubberCtyRauder
12-26-2016, 01:51 PM
is this what you tapped on with screwdriver? see pics in thread

http://mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48707

RF Overlord
12-26-2016, 02:40 PM
I tapped the round thing that looks like it has a nipple on it above the passenger wheel fender, and nothing at all.That's the blower motor (fan). They don't usually go bad.
I also tapped what I thought was the "rectangle" box behind passenger valve cover - nothing. That's the BMSC {Blower Motor Speed Controller) module...that's what normally fails.

Tapping on them doesn't always work. You need to verify voltage at the blower motor to determine which is actually bad. Borrow a voltmeter from someone and unplug the blower motor connector. Turn the system on to high and you should have 12V.

Or ask a mechanically-minded friend to do this for you.

ammolance
12-26-2016, 04:45 PM
is this what you tapped on with screwdriver? see pics in thread

http://mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48707

Took a look at the pics in the thread - the one thing was against the fire wall right behind the passenger valve cover, and is kinda hard to see the whole thing. orientated up to down with regards to the rectanglish shape.

ammolance
12-26-2016, 04:47 PM
That's the blower motor (fan). They don't usually go bad. That's the BMSC {Blower Motor Speed Controller) module...that's what normally fails.

Tapping on them doesn't always work. You need to verify voltage at the blower motor to determine which is actually bad. Borrow a voltmeter from someone and unplug the blower motor connector. Turn the system on to high and you should have 12V.

Or ask a mechanically-minded friend to do this for you.

Thanks for the info - I'll have to get someone over who can test the voltage as if it were bad, and i wasn't getting power, I'd think that i'm not testing it correctly. Pretty frustrating I can't fault isolate that, but I just am not confident enough to know that I'd be testing correctly.

fastblackmerc
12-26-2016, 04:52 PM
I have repaired BCM'S if needed.

RF Overlord
12-26-2016, 07:07 PM
Pretty frustrating I can't fault isolate that, but I just am not confident enough to know that I'd be testing correctly.Modern voltmeters, even the cheap-o ones, are auto-polarity so it's almost impossible to test wrong. Put the voltmeter on DC, plugs the leads into the connector, and read the voltage on the display...it'll be either + (or -) 12V, or it will be very low (or zero).

ammolance
12-29-2016, 06:51 AM
ok. Well, contacted a somewhat mechanic savvy buddy who is gonna check the voltage for me. We'll go from there!

ammolance
12-29-2016, 02:48 PM
OK. So we jumped in to the MM for a drive since it was nice out. Wife touched the "Automatic" button and the air came right on. I touched the norm a/c, max a/c, floor, floor/def, etc and all worked flawlessly. Got to our destination, turned the MM off, had lunch, jumped in, and nothing. My mechanically inclined buddy said he thinks its the BCM (blower control module), and the schematic I got from O'Reily's says theres a "front blower motor" (C1227) (round thing with the nipple), an "automatic temp control sensor" (C1338), a "front blower motor resistor assembly" (C1349) (small rectangle thing under some lines), and a thing not labeled on top of the blower motor that's not labeled (C1147). Looks like it's a schematic from Ford so hopefully someone can tell me if my bud is right on the "BCM" and what that translates to on the schematic?

RubberCtyRauder
12-29-2016, 02:59 PM
go to the DIY forum and there is a thread about the BCM with pics.

ammolance
12-29-2016, 03:04 PM
go to the DIY forum and there is a thread about the BCM with pics.

Found this thread: http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=99619&highlight=a%2Fc+blower+motor

Went out and tapped on the BCM and magically the air starting flowing. Looks like a little bit of a bear to get to, and I think in a link posted earlier by y'all there were some instructions on how to get at it. Ford wanted $132, O'Reily wanted $74 for Motorcraft. Same same?

RubberCtyRauder
12-29-2016, 03:12 PM
same, the 5th thread in DIY forum is BCM installation. not the thread you posted up.

ammolance
12-29-2016, 03:31 PM
same, the 5th thread in DIY forum is BCM installation. not the thread you posted up.

Cool. Would like to save a few bucks, plus I got an O'Reily coupon. Correct me if I'm wrong, but here's the link: http://mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48707

Wish me luck!

RubberCtyRauder
12-29-2016, 03:50 PM
save old bcm, member fastblackmerc can repair so you have a spare.

RF Overlord
12-29-2016, 06:43 PM
The Cxxxx numbers are connectors. They are in fact for the parts you called out.

C1349 is correct for the BMSC...the Ford manual generically calls it a blower motor resistor assembly as that's what it actually is in cars with manual HVAC control. In cars with EATC it's replaced with the Blower Motor Speed Control module.

You can ignore C1147...that a 12-pin connector for multiple circuits.

ammolance
06-24-2017, 08:45 AM
OK. This BCM finally tanked. Is it now part number C1349 (Front blower motor resistor assembly) and also contain part number C1308 (Front blower motor speed controller)? Thanks in advance for the clarification!

ammolance
06-24-2017, 08:58 AM
OK. This BCM finally tanked. Is it now part number C1349 (Front blower motor resistor assembly) and also contain part number C1308 (Front blower motor speed controller)? Thanks in advance for the clarification!

If I would have only looked a few posts above! Thanks again everyone!:beer:

fastblackmerc
06-24-2017, 09:56 AM
A stated previously I have repaired BCMs available. Even if you replace it with a Ford one it will crap out again.

PM me for details.