PDA

View Full Version : anyone remove their air box?

rurumon
04-14-2003, 07:56 PM
So, anyone get anywhere with this? or am I barking up the wrong tree? seems like i hit a triple with the red brakes (a home run would have been powdercoating:) ) so i was thinking about removing the airbox and putting on a KN filter. Just wondering if anyone did this with any success.

Not really looking for power gains here, maybe a different sound though...

jgc61sr2002
04-14-2003, 08:07 PM
There are several threads on the air box and K&N filter. Run a search on Airbox and they will come up. John

Logan
04-15-2003, 06:07 AM
I replaced my airbox with a Conical K&N. I bought the kit from a local fellow at Performanceresearchonline.com (http://www.performanceresearchonline. com). His email is tcole@performanceresearchonlin e.com

I think he wanted about $100... Consists of a Billet MAF adapter, filter and mounting bracket.

http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/watermark.php?file=503/1DSC00399027-med.jpg

darebren
04-15-2003, 09:36 AM
my .02 cents, ford actually did a good job at developing the stock airbox, the flow is fine, a K&N filter might help (simply have to trim a crown vic K&N filter a little), but I would not do anything else.

RF Overlord
04-15-2003, 09:40 AM
^^^what darebren said^^^

Dennis is working on a cold-air kit for our cars now...that would be the best way to go...

rurumon
04-15-2003, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Logan
I replaced my airbox with a Conical K&N. I bought the kit from a local fellow at Performanceresearchonline.com (http://www.performanceresearchonline. com). His email is tcole@performanceresearchonlin e.com

I think he wanted about $100... Consists of a Billet MAF adapter, filter and mounting bracket.

what are your opinions about drawing in hot air from the engine compt? looks like you dont have a heat shield, do you think performanceresearchonline makes one?

Logan
04-15-2003, 10:26 AM
All I know is that in my 99 and 02 Lightning, a conical K&N with no heat shield made a noticeable seat of the pants improvement, as it did in my marauder.

It's always worked well for me, so take it for what you will. I agree a full cold air setup would probably be more beneficial...

engine23ccvfd
04-15-2003, 11:02 AM
Logan is that one of the filters with oil in it? Does it get changed more often than a reg filter...What would your dealer say about it? Not trying to be nick picking just learning what I can

thanks

andy

Logan
04-15-2003, 01:13 PM
K&N's are pre-oiled yes. You clean them once a year, maybe... My dealer could care less. If I thought he was going to care, I'd spend 5 minutes removing it before going in for service.

notacop
04-15-2003, 02:00 PM
just an idea, but maybe we should hold off on airbox mods until we find out if MAD-3R's engine really hydrolocked and if it was the fault of the airbox. it would really suck if someone else's engine hydrolocks and then they take it to the dealer only for the dealer to find the airbox has been modified.

WolfeBros
04-15-2003, 03:11 PM
If his hydrolocked because of the airbox location. He would have known. It takes some quanity of water to be injested to do it. Driving in water over the bumper usually is the cause. I suspect if his is indeed hydrolocked, which we are not sure yet. That it is probably from oil and an internal engine failure.

LincMercLover
04-15-2003, 11:13 PM
Did he cut a hole in the air box? I remember someone doing that and putting a K&N filter in there...

ghost
04-24-2003, 05:30 PM
Hey guys,

It's refreshing to see grassroots modding on a new platform. Unfortunately, from what I've read so far, Ford is really tough on the warranties, and that can be a problem - sometimes.

The addition of a cold-air box or more efficient intake filter should not void your warranty. Ford would have to prove that your mod caused the failure to not honor it, I believe there are Federal laws regarding this matter, and correct me if I'm wrong.

But back to the intake system. The GM B-body platform (Impala SS/Caprice/Roadmaster/Fleetwood) responds well to simple intake mods and I suspect the Marauder will too, although it looks like a fairly straight shot to the throttle body from what I can tell. Still, every little bit helps and if you can somehow free-up & straighten out the airflow, your engine will respond with additional HP, just like a good flowing exhaust. But you guys already know this. :)

K&N has an intake system for the B-bodies but they're pricey, so I made my own out of plexiglass and sealed it off from the engine compartment. Cheap, simple and effective. The intake pipe is a chrome exhaust tip. The rubber elbow will soon be replaced with an elbow from a Vortech supercharger system (sans s/c). I don't think heat soak is an issue with the intake pipe since the air going through it only contacts it for hundredths of a second.

You guys are using a cooler thermostat, right? So use cold air for the intake and reap similar rewards. We need to get you guys up to speed so we can race on a more even playing field. We've had time to mod our cars, you guys are still figuring out what to do. Hope I can help, at least throw some ideas your way that you can apply more exactly to your particular setup.

Eric

http://www.doersch.info/ghost/COLD-AIR_BOX_a.jpg

http://www.doersch.info/ghost/COLD-AIR_BOX_b.jpg

jgc61sr2002
04-24-2003, 06:09 PM
ghost - Welcome the the MM site. There are several other Chevy guys who also hang out here. John:up:

ghost
04-24-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by jgc61sr2002
ghost - Welcome the the MM site. There are several other Chevy guys who also hang out here. John:up:

Thanks for the welcome. :)

We're all trying to do the same thing - make big, fat cars go fast. :D

Eric

Reaper948
04-24-2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by RF Overlord
^^^what darebren said^^^

Dennis is working on a cold-air kit for our cars now...that would be the best way to go...

im all over that RF