PDA

View Full Version : What wax would

tomd
04-15-2003, 07:34 AM
What wax would cover Scratches (bad ones) and take wash after wash with Dawn to remove it? I’ve finally gotten most of the wax off my engine hood so I can show what the 1st body shop did to my paint (i want it repainted)! Now I’ve got the Insurance claim guy telling he knows of NO wax that would do that.

Macon Marauder
04-15-2003, 08:50 AM
Hmmm, not being able to see your car makes it pretty had to say, but -

I had what I considered bad scratches on the sides of a truck once (dang kids!) and that pigmented wax worked wonders. That and a high quality "shine" wax made them almost invisible.

But why does the claim guy care? They (body shop) messed up your car and now they should fix it. What does it matter how they covered it up? That's what I'd be asking...

tomd
04-15-2003, 10:22 AM
From the very start nobody would believe what the 1st body shop did to my Marauder, kept hearing it is black everything going to show up. My mistake was NOT having the claim rep look at it before it was given back to the 1st :censor: body shop. Live and learn!

Am just feed up with nobody believing how bad it is. Now with most of the wax strip off they will or are seeing for themselves.

I've already told them it will be repainted! But again am hearing "lets see what the body shop says”. If the 1st one couldn't rub out the scratches what makes them think the 2nd one can!

ChuckB
04-15-2003, 01:45 PM
Tom,

i admire your efforts and sympathze.

Your claims guys does know beans then - Macon is correct. there are litterally dozens of "colored" waxes which temporarily fill and hide scrathes and imperfections. i use Zymbol red (and i know they make a black formula) to help 20 years old red paint - works well - temporarily.

as in all situations of this nature squeaky wheel gets the paint. if the claims guys is deaf to the squeak go to his boss or the regional manager. the higher up you get the less importantthe cost of a 1$k hood repaint gets and the more important customer service is.

it to bad you got mixed up with the 5% of body paint shops that performs like this. most i know of would never have gotten this far and would have fixed it before you saw it.

my dad once told me that picking the right body paint guy is more important than picking a barber - bad hair cut grows out ans bad paint just gets worse.

best of luck

WolfeBros
04-15-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by ChuckB

my dad once told me that picking the right body paint guy is more important than picking a barber - bad hair cut grows out and bad paint just gets worse.

Good advice and worth repeating again here.
Thanks to ChuckB's Dad. :up:

Vince Gortner
04-15-2003, 08:46 PM
Is this a complaint about the mystery wax or, now that you got the stuff off you want to find out what they used to harness it's power for good instead of evil?

No carnuba/ silicate wax shoud stay put after being hit with a harsh detergent. Might be some other mystery goop. For stripping wax or goop I like to use 3M general purpose adhesive remover in the red can. Good stuff. Lots of uses around the house.

I know Logan and some other people swear by the Zaino stuff, but I use the full line of products from www.griotsgarage.com on my car, my house, my son, (wife says no) and I think it's great stuff.

tomd
04-16-2003, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Vince Gortner
Is this a complaint about the mystery wax or, now that you got the stuff off you want to find out what they used to harness it's power for good instead of evil?

It would be nice to know what was used, but that's not going to happen! Don't think the 1st body shop would be willing to share that info with me now or in the future! :lol:

MMpridenjoy
04-17-2003, 11:29 PM
Well, as you all know that if the fingernail fits is the scratch then it is past the clearcoat...but if it is not, try 3M scratch and swirl remover for dark paintjobs. This stuff is amazing!!!!!

notacop
04-21-2003, 11:03 PM
if you got the $$$ and the time, go with zaino. it did wonders on the paint of the bronco in my sig (white with blue two-tone). it is technically not wax though, as i understand. i personally have not tried it on the MM, but plan to soon (as soon as my bro brings the bronco and zaino back from USC)