PDA

View Full Version : Radio Question (not sound) Help Needed

Mark [N4OGL]
04-15-2003, 10:07 AM
Hey gang,

I recall reading that you could connect a lead from your cell phone hands free kit to the Alpine stereo to mute the audio when the phone rang, and another to route the cellphone audio through the vehicle speakers. Now I can't find that source.

Can anyone help?

I checked www.wiremagic.com but that didn't help.

Mark

engine23ccvfd
04-15-2003, 11:03 AM
Is the stock stereo an Alpine re-badged? I was wondering the same thing mark it has a mute button which on many cars will switch to the cell mode if equipped.

notacop
04-15-2003, 11:42 PM
i believe some mark VIII's had this feature. at least my dad's did.

LincMercLover
04-16-2003, 10:54 AM
If you bought the phone that came with the car, it would do it. I imagine you'd have to find some sort of adapter to tap into the system with your own phone? Pretty much the same deal as an intercom feature.

jariggs
09-15-2003, 05:21 AM
Did you ever receive info. regarding the wiring diagram for muting audio when your hands free kit is in use or routing audio through your stereo speakers? Thanks, Jeff

Zack
09-15-2003, 07:35 AM
I know when the radio is off and you press the audio mute button, it displays something regarding to cell phones.

Mark [N4OGL]
09-15-2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by jariggs
Did you ever receive info. regarding the wiring diagram for muting audio when your hands free kit is in use or routing audio through your stereo speakers? Thanks, Jeff

Nope - never got an answer. Sure would like to.

Jerry Barnes promised (in April) to email me the answer but never did (and, yes, I reminded him. Twice).

jariggs
09-15-2003, 10:59 AM
Mark-I own a Motorola 2-way and cellular dealership, I am installing a HF kit fot my V60 Verizon phone so with some trail and error I will let you know, do you know the Model# of the Alpine stereo in the MM? I have tryed to search that so I can get a manual but no luck yet...Jeff

Mark [N4OGL]
09-15-2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by jariggs
Mark-I own a Motorola 2-way and cellular dealership, I am installing a HF kit fot my V60 Verizon phone so with some trail and error I will let you know, do you know the Model# of the Alpine stereo in the MM? I have tryed to search that so I can get a manual but no luck yet...Jeff

Thanks, Jeff. I installed the Nextel car kit for my i58sr, but would like the radio to at least "mute" when the phone rings.

The Alpine is a private label for Ford and probably has no equivalent model number. However, you might check www.wiremagic.com and see if the information is more current than April 2003 (which is the last time I checked). Also - I believe this radio is used in the Town Car and that might also be a source.

Mark

Edited at 1835 local to add:

You might also try pin 7 on connector C290a, which is labelled "Cell Phone Wake Up" for a Town Car.