PDA

View Full Version : New 4.10's and Reinhart Tune!

Ross
02-09-2006, 01:44 PM
This is a rather long post, and when you read it all, you'll understand why.
A couple of weeks ago I posted that I got new 4.10's and I was going to order a new tune to go with them. After a lot of consideration, I decided to go with an XCal and DR tune. I ordered the tuner from Dennis, and of course he asked me what my computer code was on my processor so he could send me the proper tune. My code (as far as I knew) was BMD0, since that is on the sticker inside my door. Soooo, I tell Dennis to send me a code for BMD0, which he does.
My XCal arrives, and I actually read the directions before trying to install the new tune. Seems pretty simple. Only takes a few minutes, and I'm all tuned and ready to go.
Crank up the engine, put it in reverse to back out of the garage, and all of a sudden the car begins to shake, feeling like there is a terrible miss in the engine. WTF? I drive it for a couple of blocks, and it's feeling really bad. I know that this can't be right, so I go back and try to install the tune again. Same thing. By now, I'm starting to feel pretty scared about this whole "tune it yourself" thing.
Next day I call Dennis. He asks me about the processor code, and we talk about how a few months ago I had such trouble with the dealer (remember those posts?) and they installed three new processors trying to fix things. Aaaaahhhh, a light comes on. When they installed the processor which I now have, it must be a processor with a new code, but they didn't change the door sticker to let me know. Dennis says no problem, just find out what the new code is and he will email me a new program.
So I call the dealer to find out if they can tell me what code I have. (See recent post about how to find my code.) They don't even know that processors have different codes! What dumba$$es!
I go to the shop that put in my 4.10's, and the service writer looks under my hood where the processor sticks out through the firewall and we can barely see the letters JHM1. BINGO!
I call Dennis, and he emails me a new file with the right code. He tells me to go online to SCT and download their software which will allow me to load the file from my computer to the XCal. I do so, but the software just won't work. I call SCT and the guy there spends about an hour on the phone with me, trying everything in the world to get the software to work. It turns out that I am running Windows 2000 and the SCT software is made for Windows XP or something else. Don't ask me, I barely know how to send email. After much labor and a lot of patience from the guy at SCT, we get the software installed and running.
I call Dennis and he talks me through putting his new file onto the XCal. Now for the moment of truth.
I go out and install the new program onto my car. I hold my breath as I start it up. Feels OK so far. Let it idle for a minute, and it still seems smooth. Back out and drive down the street, slowly at first, letting the car warm up fully before hitting it hard.
Finally I get up to operating temp and decide to find a quiet street to check things out. I punch it and BAM! This thing moves! Just like I have always heard that 4.10's and a good tune will make it move!
These past couple of weeks trying to get this sorted out have been frustrating and a little scary, not knowing whether something really screwy had happened to my car. But with a lot of personal assistance and attention from Dennis and SCT, I'm a happy camper.
I have now officially joined the ranks of the 4.10 club.
Anyone want to buy some used 3.55's?
Wanna race, rice boy?

BruteForce
02-09-2006, 02:30 PM
Congrats and welcome to "what it shoulda been from the start"! :D

Go easy on the hard punches for 30-50 miles so they break in a bit. Told to me by the tech who put mine on (for what its worth).

Pat
02-09-2006, 02:39 PM
That's a great testament to Dennis and the folks at DR Automotive. Support after the sale, there's no substitute.

jgc61sr2002
02-09-2006, 03:13 PM
Ross - Congrats.:D

Marauderjack
02-09-2006, 03:31 PM
Ross,

Glad DR and SCT got it worked out for ya!!:beer:

I have a similar "HORROR STORY" about my DiabloSport blower tune but that's truely another story!!:argue:

Glad you got it right and the 4.10's make it GOOOOOOOO!!!!!!:bows:

Good Luck & Be Careful Out Thar In TEKUS!!!!

Marauderjack:burnout:

mrjones
02-09-2006, 07:54 PM
Two questions:

Are you gonna bring it up to the track in Lufkin on Mar 4?

How's the teaching at Sam going?

valleyman
02-09-2006, 08:57 PM
Ross -- I know just how you feel. I generally know one end of a wrench from another but computer files, RAM, gigabytes, etc. leave me in the dark. I just don't feel comfortable with computers: I don't unnerstand 'em!! But both Dennis Reinhart and the tech help at SCT have been very patient and helpful to me, walking me through download issues without being condescending or seemingly concerned about anything except that I get it right and am completely satisfied with the product. If you are a FOG like me and a computer Neanderthal, never fear, these fine people WILL help you through it. I have had nothing but good experience with both companies.

Ross
02-10-2006, 08:01 AM
Two questions:

Are you gonna bring it up to the track in Lufkin on Mar 4?

How's the teaching at Sam going?

March 4 is Dawn's birthday, and I kind of think she had something planned a little more girly than the track! Somehow I think I better go along with her on this one.
Teaching at Sam is going great. I've taught for three semesters now, and scheduled to teach next fall again. Who knows, maybe one day I'll be able to afford to quit lying, I mean lawyering, and teach full time!
Every now and then I drive through Lufkin going to Marshall, but I'm usually in a hurry on my way to court. Hopefully I can stop and meet you someday soon.

Dennis Reinhart
02-10-2006, 01:55 PM
Thanks Ross for the post, and for the rest of the members there is a new version of extreme tune on SCT website

Ross
02-10-2006, 02:04 PM
Thanks for your help and patience, Dennis. I could probably plumb your house for you, but when it comes to computers I'm a total loss. I really needed some gentle hand holding on this one, but it was worth it!