PDA

View Full Version : Want to buy the SS inserts

BAD MERC
02-12-2006, 07:45 PM
I know they're superior to decals but can they be removed without damage and re-installed for paintwork, scratches, etc...? Also can you buy separate letters individually in the event of loss? Thanks!

Bluerauder
02-12-2006, 08:20 PM
I know they're superior to decals but can they be removed without damage and re-installed for paintwork, scratches, etc...? Also can you buy separate letters individually in the event of loss? Thanks!
The letters are about 18 gauge mirror polished stainless steel. They go on with a 3M adhesive backing. The instructions make it very clear to test fit first 'cause once they are stuck, they are not coming off without bending or distorting them is some fashion. ;)

Have not heard about getting individual letters ... might be worth asking at http://www.ssinserts.com ... but I haven't seen anything ever written about it here. Mine are stuck on but good and have been for the past 28 months. No loss problem for me. :D

HwyCruiser
02-12-2006, 08:23 PM
Once they're on, they're on. I wouldn't worry about loosing a letter.

If you need body work the $60 for a new set will probably be the least of your worries. I'm on my second rear fascia and second set of inserts. At least the lady's insurance didn't fight me on the $60. :rolleyes:

Rider90
02-12-2006, 08:56 PM
Bradley@Dynopros had a letter come off and a single letter was sent by SS Inserts. I do not know if it cost him anything or not, but you can send him a message. Mine have been on for a long time with no problems.

SouLRioT
02-13-2006, 10:11 AM
Like what has been said already, I had two sets both replaced when my car was rear ended. Insurance replaced them both times. But I'm holding off putting them back on since I feel like my MM is a car magnet with the inserts installed.

Hotrauder
02-13-2006, 10:29 AM
Bill, Stainless is non-magnetic.:D You just have to stop letting FOF ram you in the butt. That is a plan recommended by the AMA. Dennis LOL:beer:

Judith Garner
02-19-2006, 04:46 AM
I was thinking about getting inserts, but don't really want to bring attention to my car. Around here it's one of a kind!!! Seen on news the MM is top 10 of stolen cars... because they were limited additions...what do ya'all think???

fastblackmerc
02-19-2006, 05:42 AM
IMHO... If someone wants to steal your MM they will do it regardless of the inserts. They may do it for the wheels.

Marauderjack
02-19-2006, 08:19 AM
If you have TC and same size tires on all four corners the thief couldn't outrun a Yugo unless he knows to turn the TC "OFF"!!!!:D :beer: :bows: Top speed about 50 MPH going straight and 20 MPH around corners!!!:help: :censor:

Marauderjack:D :burnout:

PS: TC means "Thief Catcher" in this case!!!:lol:

Bradley G
02-21-2006, 04:08 AM
Man, the memory is sliding!
Yes I did loose one and was shipped a duplicate at no charge.
Bradley@Dynopros had a letter come off and a single letter was sent by SS Inserts. I do not know if it cost him anything or not, but you can send him a message. Mine have been on for a long time with no problems.

HwyCruiser
09-05-2006, 09:18 PM

I had to pull the SS inserts to have the bumper cover repainted. I tried removing them with fishing line but I just didn't have much luck (or patience) to get behind every nook and cranny. Those inserts fill up the recesses pretty good.

I wound up using the fishing line to free up each letter as much as I could and then a small flat head screwdriver to pry one side of a letter up. After that it was pretty easy to get them off by hand but I couldn't manage to keep them from bending. Using a towel to back up the screwdriver worked well to keep from scratching the paint. Once the remaining tape was exposed I rubbed it off with my thumb.

Overall it was a fairly painless demodding process with no damage to the paint.

whoskal
09-05-2006, 10:25 PM
I had my bumper repainted a few months ago....they did it with the inserts in...painter took the time to tape the letters up...bumper looked great when they were done painting it.

MENINBLK
09-06-2006, 01:58 AM
I was thinking about getting inserts, but don't really want to bring attention to my car. Around here it's one of a kind!!! Seen on news the MM is top 10 of stolen cars... because they were limited additions...what do ya'all think???

This is a lie....

Because our cars are so few, the crappy calculations used, put us into the top ten percent.
If 10 Marauders get stolen in a year, it will put us into the top ten percent.

The people who stole the 10 Marauders probably didn't even think
they were stealing anything more than a CV or GM anyway, being that
no NORMAL person even knows what the hell a Marauder is...

HwyCruiser
09-07-2006, 09:31 PM
I had my bumper repainted a few months ago....they did it with the inserts in...painter took the time to tape the letters up...bumper looked great when they were done painting it.

Good to know. Neither guy wanted to touch mine with the inserts in, they said taping them off might leave thin paint lines that could come back to haunt me, so I dug them out per their advice. Now the question is do I go for set #3?

wczepl
09-09-2006, 02:11 PM
If you dont mind me asking..
What did you pay for the bumper repaint and how did it come out.
My bumper has a 2 foot long scratch over the embossed letters and
I want to paint it before I put in SS inserts.

whoskal
09-09-2006, 02:53 PM
What did you pay for the bumper repaint and how did it come out.
My bumper has a 2 foot long scratch over the embossed letters and
I want to paint it before I put in SS inserts.

I didn't pay for it, the lady who ran into me did......but the bill was $750....
she was pissed...that's what you get for paying more attention to your phone call rather than your driving

HwyCruiser
09-11-2006, 06:52 PM
What did you pay for the bumper repaint and how did it come out. My bumper has a 2 foot long scratch over the embossed letters and I want to paint it before I put in SS inserts.

My rear bumper cover repaint was $400 not including removal and re-installation as a weekend side job at a body shop (I did the R&R myself). The remanufactured bumper cover I got stuck with a couple years ago (insurance companies suck) had some noticable blemishes under the paint so the price included some minor body work also. I was quoted $650 and $500 for just a sand, prime and spray, probably while still on the car.

dj_pizm
08-22-2008, 02:54 PM
i'm new....so can anyone tell me where to buy the inserts.... I have a '03 blk..... And also whats the 411 on these chips that upgrade hp and help on gas mileage

fastblackmerc
08-22-2008, 03:00 PM
i'm new....so can anyone tell me where to buy the inserts.... I have a '03 blk..... And also whats the 411 on these chips that upgrade hp and help on gas mileage

Check the forums for SS Inserts where you'll fund thier website.

Chips are so 90's.....

Almost everyone uses hand-held tuner.

Search for tuner or tunes and you'll find what you need.