PDA

View Full Version : Really wide MM rims

TooManyFords
02-13-2006, 06:40 AM
Greg,

Will you do me a favor and ask your friend who widens MM rims if they can take a pair and turn them into 18x16?

Thanks!

John

SergntMac
02-13-2006, 06:51 AM
You're scaring me, John.

RoyLPita
02-13-2006, 07:14 AM
Greg,

Will you do me a favor and ask your friend who widens MM rims if they can take a pair and turn them into 18x16?

Thanks!

John

I believe that would be a bit too much. "tubbing" and "fender flaring" would be required.

TooManyFords
02-13-2006, 07:22 AM
I believe that would be a bit too much. "tubbing" and "fender flaring" would be required.

No, that is the required width to run the tires I want. :D

No fender flairs, that would be GAY. It's all on the inside baby.

Cheers!

john

martyo
02-13-2006, 11:53 AM
John: Why use such a heavy wheel like the stokcers are if you are going to go to that size?

maraudernkc
02-13-2006, 01:20 PM
John, call Weldcraft in MI. and they will take care of you. There phone number is 734/420-2211

I don't make any money off of this. I just do it to help people out that have bought our kit.

Greg,

Thanks!

John

TooManyFords
02-14-2006, 06:16 AM
John: Why use such a heavy wheel like the stokcers are if you are going to go to that size?

Two reasons; 1. I retain the stock look of the car. Much like anyone who widens our rims now. I'm just going a 'little' farther is all. 2.) Because I don't have to buy matching front rims if I go with different rears.

This is going to be a street machine, not a quarter mile monster (not that it couldn't be). If I want to race it, I'll get lightweight rims and big slicks for the back and won't have to worry about shocks or control arms getting in the way. So this mod will serve two purposes.

But keep the suggestions coming, I appreciate all the critisizm, good and bad.

Cheers my friend.

John

TooManyFords
02-14-2006, 06:17 AM
John, call Weldcraft in MI. and they will take care of you. There phone number is 734/420-2211

I don't make any money off of this. I just do it to help people out that have bought our kit.

Thanks Greg! YOU DA MAN!

John

magindat
02-14-2006, 06:33 AM
Dude, Not to rain on your parade, but:

You'd have to tub
You'd have to move the shocks.
You'd have to re-work the trailing arms
You's have to remove your gas tank
You'd have to move the fuel filler hose
You's have to re-locate the brake line path
It would handle poorly
You may loose or have to re-locate the air bag suspension
You'd have to narrow the watts link.

There's probly more, but that's all I can think of right now.

Good luck with your project. Just helping if you haven't considered all the ramifications.....

cheers:beer:

Zack
02-14-2006, 06:39 AM
Dude, Not to rain on your parade, but:

You'd have to tub
You'd have to move the shocks.
You'd have to re-work the trailing arms
You's have to remove your gas tank
You'd have to move the fuel filler hose
You's have to re-locate the brake line path
It would handle poorly
You may loose or have to re-locate the air bag suspension
You'd have to narrow the watts link.

There's probly more, but that's all I can think of right now.

Good luck with your project. Just helping if you haven't considered all the ramifications.....

cheers:beer:
Let me speak for John....
"Whats your point?"

TooManyFords
02-14-2006, 06:49 AM
LOL! I was going to say it a little differently...

Yes, I am aware that some things will change. But I'm only moving things about 6 inches in on each side.

Yes I would tub.
Yes I would move the shocks.
Yes I would move the control arms.
Yes I will cut the frame.
Don't know about the gas tank, but there are dozens of fuel cells out there.
Handling is a point of view.
Air bag suspension will not have to move.
If the Watts has to move, I bet Metco can make me one.

You either lead, follow or get the hell out of the way. I prefer to lead. :)

Cheers!

John

magindat
02-14-2006, 06:57 AM
LOL! I was going to say it a little differently...
You either lead, follow or get the hell out of the way. I prefer to lead. :)
John.

I agree, as my avatar says... Don't be a Lemming. You clearly ain't! :beatnik:

I was just thinking of all that work! I just finished cutting up a friend's brand new Colorado to fit an air suspension to tuck 24's and lay frame. It was a 6 months of work (weekends only)!

Can't wait to see our first tubbed MM! :eek:

L8R!

HwyCruiser
02-15-2006, 04:50 PM

Thanks Greg, I finally got around to sending my wheels out for widening today. I spoke with James over at Weldcraft and he quoted $200/rim.

SergntMac
02-15-2006, 05:13 PM
John...You're still scary...

TooManyFords
02-16-2006, 01:19 AM
John...You're still scary...
BOO!

:P

Cheers!

BK_GrandMarquis
02-19-2006, 03:57 PM
It's gonna be interesting to see what 18x16's will look like from the rear.

Here's an Impala with 18x12's.

http://www.azsupersport.com/minitub.asp

I think a Viper only has 13's on the rear. Your idea would make the Marauder look like a steam roller.:eek: :lol:

TooManyFords
02-20-2006, 11:18 AM
I just called Weldcraft for a quote for 18x18 MM widening. Scott really wants to see this one done too.

Guess we'll see!

John

merc6
02-20-2006, 11:34 AM
wasn't following from the verry beginning. Have you already or are you about to place contents under pressure(boost)?

*duh he posted in this section...walks to corner screaming "shut up and color"*

HwyCruiser
02-23-2006, 08:07 PM
John, Scott has mine under the knife right now. Have him eye ball in an 8" spool and see if it's doable. But if my wheels wind up "lost" I know how to find you! :D

TooManyFords
02-24-2006, 07:03 AM
John, Scott has mine under the knife right now. Have him eye ball in an 8" spool and see if it's doable. But if my wheels wind up "lost" I know how to find you! :D

LOL! Actually, I'm going with 18x18's now and he's quoted me $350 a wheel. If you get yours and they dont fit, I know where you live!

John

HwyCruiser
03-03-2006, 06:57 PM
LOL! Actually, I'm going with 18x18's now and he's quoted me $350 a wheel. If you get yours and they dont fit, I know where you live!

John

They made it back safe and sound, just 1-1/2" wider. Two weeks exactly from drop-off to delivery. Weldcraft did a pretty nice job, and they taped up the finished lip to avoid damage. My boxes just barely survived though. Whew.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/1/5/9/4/widened.jpg

I just can't imagine a 10" spacer. :eek:

TooManyFords
03-03-2006, 08:27 PM
Cool! Are you going to get your Nitto's mounted up tomorrow?

yes, a 10" spacer is going to look HUGE in there, I agree. Right now, my car is up on a lift getting parts taken off for the engine swap. While it is up there, my chief fabricator will be doing all the measurements for the tubbing.

The bottom skirt of the block went so totally that the dipstick tube is holding a piece of the block with nothing around it.

Here's a peek at the parts so far on the floor:
http://john.frieltek.com/toomanyfords/marauder/engine2006/damage/img/dsc02601.jpg

We'll keep this thread about Wide Tires but I had to just post a peek. Tomorrow I'll be over there helping wrench and hopefully drive it out of the garage in the afternoon. That is, if we don't find parts we need that we can't get, ala broken dipstick tube.

Cheers!

john

HwyCruiser
03-03-2006, 08:52 PM
Cool! Are you going to get your Nitto's mounted up tomorrow?

I'm going to run a 295 Nitto 555 for street use and keep the drag radials on the Konigs for the fun stuff. That was I can have a tire better suited for highway use / mileage and still be able to get into it some.

yes, a 10" spacer is going to look HUGE in there, I agree. Right now, my car is up on a lift getting parts taken off for the engine swap. While it is up there, my chief fabricator will be doing all the measurements for the tubbing.

The bottom skirt of the block went so totally that the dipstick tube is holding a piece of the block with nothing around it.

Here's a peek at the parts so far on the floor:
http://john.frieltek.com/toomanyfords/marauder/engine2006/damage/img/dsc02601.jpg

We'll keep this thread about Wide Tires but I had to just post a peek. Tomorrow I'll be over there helping wrench and hopefully drive it out of the garage in the afternoon. That is, if we don't find parts we need that we can't get, ala broken dipstick tube.

Cheers!

john

Good luck tomorrow! It would be awesome to hear your back on the road. :up:

MERCDADDY
03-04-2006, 07:21 PM

Cheers!

john

We need a pic of that!

STLR FN
03-05-2006, 04:48 PM
John are we using these in a 29X18R18LT?

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/images/sportsman_sr_small.jpg

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/street.html

I seen these today at the Autorama here in Detroit.

TooManyFords
03-05-2006, 04:53 PM
Yes, those are the type, but I'm looking at the 31x18x18 or the 33x18x18. I'll know for sure which next week as we mark off where it will get cut and how we need to relocate all the arms, shocks etc. I may have to go with a 16" rim mod depending on what we do.

I'm really stoked!!

John

TooManyFords
04-12-2006, 09:47 AM
http://john.frieltek.com/toomanyfords/marauder/tubbed/img/04-12-06_1123.jpg

Talk about some serious rollers... Rims are not far behind.

Cheers!

john

TooManyFords
04-12-2006, 10:09 AM
As an update, these are the 29x18x18 tires so my rims are being widened to 16".

Hurry up Weldcraft!

john

martyo
04-12-2006, 12:10 PM
Lawdy!!!!!!

duhtroll
04-12-2006, 12:16 PM
Hey Marty, update yer sig already willya?

MarauderTJA
04-12-2006, 12:34 PM
I just called Weldcraft for a quote for 18x18 MM widening. Scott really wants to see this one done too.

Guess we'll see!

John

Damm John, it looks like your going after Marty:D .

TooManyFords
04-12-2006, 12:39 PM
Damm John, it looks like your going after Marty:D .
Shhhh!!

:eek:

martyo
04-12-2006, 12:55 PM
Shhhh!!

:eek:

Bring it! ..........

MarauderTJA
04-12-2006, 01:16 PM
Bring it! ..........

Wow! talk about the speed of the internet:eek:. Ya know John, Marty & I are Procharger brothers, like you use to be once upon a time:D . I have my Procharger banner which will be there too....

TooManyFords
04-12-2006, 01:19 PM
You guyz are FAMILY! When Marty said, "Bring it...", he meant the brats. I just assumed he was already bringing the 'tater salad. What are you bringing Tom?

:D

martyo
04-12-2006, 01:29 PM
You guyz are FAMILY! When Marty said, "Bring it...", he meant the brats. I just assumed he was already bringing the 'tater salad. What are you bringing Tom?

I am hungry.

Jerry is supposed to send me some Diet Mountain Dew. That goes good with 'Brats ya know.

martyo
04-12-2006, 01:30 PM
I have my Procharger banner which will be there too....

If Greg doesn't send me mine soon, i will have to steal yours.

HwyCruiser
04-12-2006, 05:17 PM

Cheers!

john

Just look at those bad boys! :loco: :D

Shora
04-12-2006, 09:25 PM
I cannot believe what I see here. Every time some one does the impossible another finds a way to shake things up further. I love this site!!! You guys are so creative that sometimes I am left without words. I cannot wait to see this Monster Marauder on video.

maraudernkc
04-13-2006, 06:24 AM
Marty, I ordered you a couple banners and some other goodies. Let me know if you don't have them by the end of next Week.

If Greg doesn't send me mine soon, i will have to steal yours.

MarauderTJA
04-13-2006, 06:47 AM

For the family, probably some Kool-Aid to go with Marty's Diet Mountain Dew:eek:

MarauderTJA
04-13-2006, 06:48 AM
Just look at those bad boys! :loco: :D

Boy, I hope you can spin them John:rolleyes:

duhtroll
04-13-2006, 09:19 AM
OK, I've had a project idea on my mind for a few months now, and now that John stole my idea of really wide wheels and tires I will have to go with my backup plan of using tracks from an M-1 Tank.

martyo
04-13-2006, 10:44 AM
Marty, I ordered you a couple banners and some other goodies. Let me know if you don't have them by the end of next Week.

Awesome! Thanks!!

ckadiddle
04-13-2006, 01:36 PM
Awesome tires. Can't wait to see pics of them mounted on the car after you finish. Try not to get too many small foreign cars stuck in the tread. :) Bad for handling.

TooManyFords
04-13-2006, 01:42 PM
Awesome tires. Can't wait to see pics of them mounted on the car after you finish. Try not to get too many small foreign cars stuck in the tread. :) Bad for handling.

LOL! You and me both! Otherwise I've got two of the biggest door stops any garage can have. Wheeee!

WeldCraft just called and I should see them back in about a week or so. :banana:

john

[small foreign cars... LOL!]

Bradley G
04-13-2006, 02:15 PM
Holy smokes John! AKA; Big Foot:eek:

Marauder2005
04-13-2006, 04:46 PM

Cheers!

john

OH MY MOTHER OF GOD!! I demand pics of these on your Marauder :D

VERY cool!

Joe Walsh
04-13-2006, 04:53 PM
UFB!!!!!:awe:.... :awe:.... :awe:.... :awe:

You're obviuosly running in the 'UNLIMITED' class at the Tractor Pulls!

You'll need a WWII Allison V12 to take full advantage of those!!

BTW: I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE the finished project!