PDA

View Full Version : What can/can't I do with a RCO/warrantee?

PhkinQk
04-16-2003, 04:13 PM
Ok since FORD doesn't lease anymore my RCO(Red Carpet Option) I'm ok doing mods on a lease.

But what about my warrantee???

What can I do and not put them in a tizzy?

I pick the car up this week.

PhkinQk
04-17-2003, 01:12 PM
ANYONE???? PICKING IT UP IN A 1/2 HOUR. WOULD LOVE TO KNOW ANY THOUGHTS?

RF Overlord
04-17-2003, 01:14 PM
Phkin:

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking...

Are you saying you're leasing your Marauder, and asking what kind of mods you can do?

PhkinQk
04-17-2003, 01:19 PM
No such thing as a lease for Ford now. The have a RCO which is a three year buy with an optional balloon. Same to us not to them as far as their liability.

Anyway..............no as far as the 3yr/36k warrentee. What can/can't I do as far as voiding it. It'll be a company car so I don't want to get stuck fixing something that they won't cover.

RF Overlord
04-17-2003, 01:26 PM
Exactly what is "coverable" depends entirely on your dealer. Many dealers will apparently install 4.10 gears, for instance, and "SAY" they will not void the warranty. MY dealer would not do it...I have no idea what a Red Carpet Option is, so I can't comment on how any mods would affect that specifically, but it's probably safe to assume that ANY mod "MAY" void the warranty. Off the record, if you keep the mods simple and limited to things you can install and remove yourself, like a Stage 1 kit from Dennis Reinhart, or underdrive pulleys, things like that, then you are probably safe...anything further, and it may be a pain in the can and a pain in the wallet to restore, unless you are absolutely going to buy the car outright in the end.

RF Overlord
04-17-2003, 01:56 PM
My reply above was referring to mechanical mods...there are also cosmetic mods; spoiler, pinstriping, re-badging, window tint, etc...and interior mods, like upgrading the sound system...just keep the original badges, speakers, whatever, and re-install them if you turn in the car...

Warpath
04-17-2003, 02:05 PM
For those of you who don't know, Ford has stopped leasing in New York, Conneticut, and Rhode Island. The reason is that these states hold the owner of the vehicle basically just as responsible as the driver/leasee of the vehicle. In other words, if someone commits a crime or injurs someone with the vehicle, Ford can be held responsible and pay damages. It has already happened and they have had to pay millions. GM is pulling out as well. You gotta love lawyers.

The Red Carpet Option is like a baloon mortgage. After the set time is up (2 yrs for example), you owe the remaining value of the car in a one lump sum payment. The title of the vehicle goes to the buyer and doesn't belong to the OE.

martyo
04-17-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Warpath
You gotta love lawyers.

I do, I do!!

RF Overlord
04-17-2003, 02:42 PM
Warpath:

With all due disrespect for laywers, I think the problem in this case is JURIES...they all think "If that was ME, I'D want 100 million dollars, too"...or some such a$$inine reasoning...God help the nitwit that tries to claim Ford was at fault for selling the bank robber a car if I'M ever on the jury...they won't get SQUAT...

PhkinQk
04-18-2003, 04:06 AM
Well I picked it up last night. :-) Am happy so far. Having 3 chrysler LHS's as my company car the last 6 years I got used to a few things I expected this car to have. Like a trip/fuel consumption computer, memory seats matched to the clickers and a MOONROOF. But I guess I'll live, lol.

One more thing about RCO guys, it's an optional ballon payment.

Also one funny thing I notice right away about the gearing.

****I can insanely blow the tires away in reverse but never in a forward gear unless I stay on the break and even that's pretty weak, lol.****

So there are some mod's in order. So I guess underdrive, chip and maybe headers????

Oh and the stock sound system sucks SO much, lol. That I went to my sound guy right away, for a price on a upgrade and window tint price.............:-)

And thanks for the info guys, anymore would always be appreciated.

PhkinQk
04-19-2003, 09:41 AM
So I guess it's hit or miss........too bad it's not spelled out or dealer or authorized intaller approved as well.

That would be nice................

Warpath
04-22-2003, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by RF Overlord
Warpath:

With all due disrespect for laywers, I think the problem in this case is JURIES...they all think "If that was ME, I'D want 100 million dollars, too"...or some such a$$inine reasoning...God help the nitwit that tries to claim Ford was at fault for selling the bank robber a car if I'M ever on the jury...they won't get SQUAT...

The problem is our judicial system allows such abuse. I would gladly act like an idiot if I knew I could get $100M out of it.