PDA

View Full Version : Wilwood Brakes

blackf0rk
02-20-2006, 03:43 PM
Who has 'em and how do you feel about them? Any suggestions on what kit to get? I'm sort of cluless about Wilwood but would like to upgrade at some point...can I have some help?

jdando
02-20-2006, 03:51 PM
Todd at TCE is an excellent resource

http://www.tceperformanceproducts.com/cgi-bin/brakes/cginews.pl?record=11

I have them and love them. They do limit your wheel choices (as any big brake kit would) however.

jeremy

MarauderMark
02-20-2006, 04:36 PM
Todd at TCE is an excellent resource

http://www.tceperformanceproducts.com/cgi-bin/brakes/cginews.pl?record=11
jeremy
Yep thats about the best info you can get.:up:

blackf0rk
02-20-2006, 04:47 PM
Thanks guys. This is what I was looking for! :)

RF Overlord
02-20-2006, 04:59 PM
I decided on the Wilwood kit partly because of their great reputation, but also on the recommendation of Marauder8 at Fenner's Auto, the former owner of jdando's car. I liked the idea that Ron had experience installing the Wilwood kit on his own car.

Also, Todd at TCE is a veritable encyclopedia of knowledge and was enormously helpful and very tolerant of all my n00b questions.

gonzo50
02-20-2006, 05:46 PM
Who has 'em and how do you feel about them? Any suggestions on what kit to get? I'm sort of cluless about Wilwood but would like to upgrade at some point...can I have some help?
I believe FourthHorseman also has them, he should chime in soon....:cool:

HotRodKristina
02-20-2006, 06:18 PM
Also, Todd at TCE is a veritable encyclopedia of knowledge and was enormously helpful and very tolerant of all my n00b questions.

I second that, he's also extremely helpful to us Focus owners on Focaljet.com.

I'll be putting his kit on my CV LX Sport.

blackf0rk
02-20-2006, 06:30 PM
I PM'd Fourth Horseman about it and he answered all my questions. Thanks again guys!

HwyCruiser
02-20-2006, 07:21 PM
I've had the 13.1" Street Sport kit on my Marauder for more than 1-1/2 years now, still on the original Q-pads - approx 20,000 miles or so. I got these brakes while dabbling in autocross and since then they've proven their worth on the street and the strip.

Other than having the rotors turned right after install due to a vibration (which was attributed to pad build-up due to not properly bedding the brakes in), they've worked great. They are performance brakes so although they might not be as civilized as the OEMs the increased stopping power and control is amazing.

The rear kit is definately on the to-do list.

Todd TCE
02-20-2006, 08:35 PM
In the couple of years the Marauder kit has been out I must say that I don't know who, if anyone, who has seriously exploited the performance level of this kit. Most are either running the kit as a mild street cruiser and weekend drag racing package. Some have ventured into the autocross perhaps. However, I don't know of any who have seriously put the car on the track with the proper pad.

If nose dropping, eyeball popping torque is the order of the day then we really need to push this kit well beyond the common HPS, BP10 or Q pad. Can pads really have such an effect on the brake system alone? Oh yes they can.
http://www.tceperformanceproducts.com/pads.html

The torqu value alone of a good, serious track pad can do things you'd not think possible. So, why not do this from the start? Because lower torque systems better meet the demands of daily driving with increase rear brake effectiveness as well. Only when the vehicles weight shift and dynamics call for such high front torque can the gains of these pads be exploited.

The Marauder is simply 'rotor limited' for the most part for an all out high performance brake system. The wheel becomes the limiting factor when you put on aftermarket calipers. This in turn limits the fit of both wider rotors and yet beefier calipers. There is simply no more room for more brake. You might wonder why others; Brembo, Baer/Alcon, Stoptech and others don't make a kit for you car- in part because they cannot package a brake system in the space available.

TCE does this by way of the narrow body six pot BSL6 caliper and the use of the HD 1.10" rotor. Sure, it could be wider (won't make it stop better, only allow for enhanced thermal capacity) but we'd need more room to work.

Going up to the 14" kit can really do wonders also. We can do a 1.25 rotor for this one (or for the 13" actually) IF you can find wheels that clear.

Fourth Horseman
02-21-2006, 01:50 PM
The second or third time that my retinas detached under braking, I was sold! :up: