PDA

View Full Version : Update

MAD-3R
04-17-2003, 09:17 AM
The following is what the SM told my wife on the phone, and relayed to me via IM. editted for content not related to issue.

they want them to pull oil pan and check the crank shaft bearings.

metal in the oil.

fax copy of proof of oil change

ok. if we did the maintenance correct and they get approval for motor replacement....we should get the car back by thursday or friday

RF Overlord
04-17-2003, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by MAD-3R
metal in the oil.
fax copy of proof of oil change

Sounds like things are looking up... :D

Proof of oil change? How many miles do you have on the car?

mdmarauder
04-17-2003, 09:29 AM
Opps...I guess I better start keep those oil change receipts.

MAD-3R
04-17-2003, 09:33 AM
8000 Miles, two oil changes at local Quick Lube.

engine23ccvfd
04-17-2003, 09:47 AM
You know my dealer put one of those windshield oil change stickers on the car during make ready that says 3 months or 5000 miles I took the car with low hundreds...So which is the correct oil change interval for the warranty 3000 or 5000?

MAD-3R
04-17-2003, 09:48 AM
yes

To be more prosise, in heavey driving, stop and go, hauling, 3000
in moderate to light driving, highway, weekends, 5000

O's Fan Rich
04-17-2003, 10:33 AM
To go to your local dealer for the "fast lube" service. I get mine done at the local ford dealer, get the "correct" oil, a Motorcraft filter and they charge me $25.00. The best part is it's logged into the Ford service system.
Hope it all works out.

Mark McQuaide
04-17-2003, 10:33 AM
Sounds like a good reason to get it serviced at the dealer.

MAD-3R
04-17-2003, 10:37 AM
I dropped my record of service off (was in my wallet this whole time) and they were happy with that. Copyed it, gave me the original back, and were suprised I had changed the oil at 3000 and 6000, when the manual call for every 5000.

It was sounding like the ford rep is doing the inspection from the phone. Asking them to pull things and check here and there. they expect autherization by COB today, and new engine to them over the weekend, and back to me by this time next week. Not defenate, but sounding good.

I not expecting to be able to post any news till Monday morning as I'm heading out of town, but I will try.

NYSP618
04-17-2003, 12:37 PM
OK, so the day before yesterday I take mine in for the 10,000 mile service. I even opened the maintainance log up to the 10,000 mile spot in the book and left it open on the passenger seat. They had to replace the right front fog light so after about an hour the service manager comes out and says she is ready to go, cost $42. Then he says they had to order an assembly for the fog light, (wasn't the bulb, something wrong with the socket). My question "Isn't it under warranty?", sure he says, OK then why am I paying $42?, his answer "That's the price for an oil change, plus the tire rotation". Now I know I am the only MM owner in the area so I give them the benefit of doubt and remind him that #1, Not only does the 10,000 mile service not call for tire rotation but you can't rotate the tires because of the size difference. Oops, well at least I can set the trend at the dealership for future MM owners.:alone:

MAD-3R
04-17-2003, 12:40 PM
did they rotate them? Or just swap them side to side?

NYSP618
04-17-2003, 12:44 PM
Oh no, they rotated them, as soon as the mechanic moved the car the ABS and brake lights came on. They had to switch them back and reset the computer, hey live and learn.

MAD-3R
04-17-2003, 12:47 PM
OK... we now have Mechanics that don't use the service manuals... There's a reason I like check lists with inital points.

RF Overlord
04-17-2003, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by MAD-3R
OK... we now have Mechanics that don't use the service manuals... There's a reason I like check lists with inital points.

OK...There's the reason why I DON'T bring my car back to the dealer EVER...unless it's something I absolutely cannot do myself... :rolleyes:

ChuckB
04-17-2003, 01:41 PM
Mad,
great to here there may be a quick and favorable solution to your MM's problem. Great!

question still is what the heck happened? hydrolock - what the real reason for this is?

hope you can get an answer from the dealership - good luck again

Murader03
04-17-2003, 02:11 PM
Mine are rotated (side to side) every 5000 mile service. I specifically told the SM that they can only be done side to side and they, both the SM and Tech came back to me twice just to make sure. Some of these guys really want ot make you laugh, or cry, depending! Just had the 15000 mile done two weeks ago. Shoot, another 3 weeks it'll be time for the 20000 check!

looking97233
04-17-2003, 02:54 PM
Spun bearing?

I posted in another thread, about a Lightning engine that somehow never had the rod caps torqued. Hope something like that isn't the case here.

MAD 3R, BTW what is your production date?

WolfeBros
04-17-2003, 03:23 PM
That is what I am thinking it is too Looking.

SergntMac
04-19-2003, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by looking97233
Spun bearing? I posted in another thread, about a Lightning engine that somehow never had the rod caps torqued. Hope something like that isn't the case here.

Sadly, I don't think we'll ever know for sure what failed. If there is metal shaving in the oil, there are metal shaving all through the motor. LM will replace the whole motor with a crate motor that comes complete with new everything, A/C pump and alternator too. A few hours of connecting wires and checking fluids, and she's done. 10K repair, and the old motor is shiped back intact for an autopsy.

This is good for Mad, but without a tear down, the question of why or how, will not get fully answered until "rumors" leak from morgue.

I suspect one of mains turned, other stuff like rod bolts or a piston, would leave chunks of something in the oil. Shavings means mains to me, but I could be wrong.

I read a tech report last night on the Mach 1 motor, and looking at the attached photos, it appears identical to our motor, cheap looking black valve covers and generic coil covers included, with exception to the air induction due to the shaker hood. If the motors are really the same, shared between FMC and LM, the crank, rods and pistons are cast, not steel forged. Eight six-bolt aluminium mains with steel bearings, aluminium block with steel sleeves, and so on. The Mach 1 was released with performance numbers of 305 HP and 320 ft-lb torque, only two off from our 302 HP and 318 TQ. Wouldn't hurt to keep an eye on the Mach 1 for engine failures too, eh?

I don't think the hydro-lock theory as it was discussed here is gonna hold water (excuse the pun), unless it's hydro-lock from the bottom up. In theory, engine oil can get whipped up into a high reving motor, and cause hydro-lock like problems for the piston's return trip. That's got to pull on the crank the same way Hydro-Lock would push on it, and something has got to give. Push or pull, end result would look the same...IMHO.

I hope we'll hear more once Mad is back in the saddle.

jgc61sr2002
04-19-2003, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by RF Overlord
OK...There's the reason why I DON'T bring my car back to the dealer EVER...unless it's something I absolutely cannot do myself... :rolleyes: RF - I couldn't agree with you more. That is exactly my sentiment. John

CRUZTAKER
04-20-2003, 06:20 AM
What happened to the days of NEVER rotating left to right???

With my father gone, I have no other close tire engineers to ask. Are they making radials now that agree with that former no-no rotation method?

Whatever I hear, I still feel in my heart, this rotation does more harm than good.

Kelly
04-20-2003, 06:38 AM
At $89 a pop on the net, drive them until they are crap then install new ones, I all ready have new ones sitting in the garage waiting their turn.

jgc61sr2002
04-20-2003, 06:45 AM
I don't believe it is necessary to rotate the tires on the MM. Frequent air pressure checks and front end alignment are required. I FMC wanted yiou to rotate tires they would have had the front and rear tires the same size. IMHO. John

Blue Marauder
04-20-2003, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by CRUZTAKER
What happened to the days of NEVER rotating left to right???

With my father gone, I have no other close tire engineers to ask. Are they making radials now that agree with that former no-no rotation method?

Whatever I hear, I still feel in my heart, this rotation does more harm than good.

It has been possible to rotate tires, even radials from side to side for years. I do it all the time on my vehicles. The old wive's tale that the belts took a set in one direction was just that - an old wive's tale. The only exception to this, obviously, are directional tires. If you swap them side to side the tread will be running in the wrong direction. My owner's manual has a drawing showing that the Marauder's tires should be swapped side to side. It is always a good idea to rotate tires following the manufacturer's recommendations to maximize tread life.

LincMercLover
04-20-2003, 12:41 PM
^I agree^

A traditional rotation pattern is rear to the fronts, and crossed fronts to the rear, unless of course they're directional. Seeing how the MM's rear's aren't going up front, I'll probably rotate once of twice during their life. I don't see it being as absolutly necessary, but it does need to be done.