PDA

View Full Version : Driveshaft Balancing in IL/WI?

Rider90
02-21-2006, 10:28 PM
Looking for a local Driveshaft balancing company for my DS...I've heard one good thing about Suburban Driveline Company out of Villa Park, they do a lot of driveshafts for 4x4s, anyone heard anything about them? Can suggest another place?

Thanks

Zack
02-22-2006, 06:28 AM
Surge Clutch & Driveline in South Holland Il.
Older than dirt and well known for custom shafts.
My dad has used them since he started wrenching and so have I.
1-708-331-1352

Zack
02-22-2006, 06:29 AM
Hey Rider. I can take my old Driveshaft over to them, have it balanced and you can go pick it up and never owe me any money for my old one.

Rider90
02-22-2006, 07:09 AM
Hey Rider. I can take my old Driveshaft over to them, have it balanced and you can go pick it up and never owe me any money for my old one.
I'm game, so you want to swap driveshafts? How much do you think it will cost to balance it? Gotta be cheaper than a new one...

Zack
02-22-2006, 07:55 AM
I dont want to swap, keep it.
It should be around 50 bucks.

Rider90
02-22-2006, 07:59 AM
I dont want to swap, keep it.
It should be around 50 bucks.
PM on the way :cool:

Dennis Reinhart
02-22-2006, 08:12 AM
Looking for a local Driveshaft balancing company for my DS...I've heard one good thing about Suburban Driveline Company out of Villa Park, they do a lot of driveshafts for 4x4s, anyone heard anything about them? Can suggest another place?

Thanks

The problem is the OEM shaft is only rated to 128 MPH, then because of the material construction of the shaft, the oem drive shaft will resonate when it reaches critical drive line speed this will cause the rear tail shaft bushing to fail. To me it would be throwing money away trying to ballance a stock shaft

Rider90
02-22-2006, 08:27 AM
The problem is the OEM shaft is only rated to 128 MPH, then because of the material construction of the shaft, the oem drive shaft will resonate when it reaches critical drive line speed this will cause the rear tail shaft bushing to fail. To me it would be throwing money away trying to ballance a stock shaft
Throwing away $50.00 in this car is like throwing a penny in a wishing well.

It's just a little more than a tank of gas, too. I have a vibration at 115/120, and if $50 will get me to 128 then it was more than worth it. $50 for a little extra security, anyday. I think I've only hit 125 twice anyways, I might hit 130 once.

But you're right about the tail shaft bushing, I had better get a Metco Loop.

wchain
02-22-2006, 08:31 AM
My Car was at GPS 143 the other day, no vibrations whatsoever. I had my factory shaft speed balanced here locally, $45 dollars, works great!

The same guys also did my Impala driveshaft, which I had to 147, no vibrations.

SergntMac
02-22-2006, 08:32 AM
Keep us posted?

Rider90
02-22-2006, 08:33 AM
Keep us posted?
Zack and myself meeting up...or?

Dennis Reinhart
02-22-2006, 08:53 AM
The metco loop may save you life if the rear tail shaft snaps off the transmission, I personly would just replace the shaft, rather than take a chance and damage the transmision again its been disscussed heavly here, why the Marauder was originly speed limited to 128, this is the reason what all the FHP cars have a MMDS, but again its your choice. I agree for thoise that are not going to drive at high speeds the 50.00 spent trying to ballance the OEM shaft may be worth it.

wchain
02-22-2006, 08:59 AM
Who drives above 100+ mph here regularly anyway? :confused:

Zack
02-22-2006, 09:08 AM
Who drives above 100+ mph here regularly anyway? :confused:

I set the cruise at 100.

As for vibration, you wont feel it when the 'whip' is occuring. It will just pull the tailshaft seal out and start dumping fluid.

Smokie
02-22-2006, 09:12 AM
The reason many people here have cruised at the higher speeds, for short intervals without any vibration whatsoever is because most of those folks were running the stock 3:55's such as myself....once you change to taller gears you will experience vibration at a lower speed.

If you plan to frequent the "higher speeds" for more than a brief burst AND you have taller than stock gears, you should seriously consider buying the MMD and driveshaft loop.

Rider90
02-22-2006, 09:19 AM
I have 4.10s and can feel alittle vibration around 120 IIRC. It's been a long time, and I didn't feel like pushing the envelope. I hardly hit these speeds, this should not be an issue for me. I'll spend $50 for the added security of having a professionally balanced driveshaft spinning at thousands of RPMs, end of story.

If I feel the need for something different, I'll plan accordingly. Another precaution, the Metco Safety Loop, will be in the mail in two days.

MM2004
02-22-2006, 10:27 AM
I set the cruise at 100.

As for vibration, you wont feel it when the 'whip' is occuring. It will just pull the tailshaft seal out and start dumping fluid.

I would disgaree with not feeling or hearing it. When the driveshaft "whips", it is exceeding it's centerline of rotation, and would have to create NVH due to the distortion of the tubing while rotating.

MM2004
02-22-2006, 10:28 AM
I have 4.10s and can feel alittle vibration around 120 IIRC. It's been a long time, and I didn't feel like pushing the envelope. I hardly hit these speeds, this should not be an issue for me. I'll spend $50 for the added security of having a professionally balanced driveshaft spinning at thousands of RPMs, end of story.

If I feel the need for something different, I'll plan accordingly. Another precaution, the Metco Safety Loop, will be in the mail in two days.

Let us know what RPM they balance the shaft at and what specs. they use. Assuming they dynamically balance..